Known/common faults

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
tnez
New

Post by tnez »

my 6n2 1.4 16v
so far havent had it that long but

:clutch pedel went
which im shore waz the peddel box, vw warranty at apro 80.000 miles which was gd
:clutch went so new 1 fited
:and im shore the rear washer pipe has just split due to reading this so will look at that later on

and 1 that everybody gets car park dents lol goin very soon though :)

(very good forum brill peeps who no there stuff :) )
tnez
New

Post by tnez »

oh and peeling door handels on the inside lol
Mouse_GTI
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by Mouse_GTI »

Mouse_GTI wrote:Faults with my 2001 GTI:

- Rear washer hose pipe leak resulting in alarm misfunction and requirement of new boot switch
- Faulty Xenon headlamp seals resulting in replacement of whole headlamp (once with previous owner, and also with me)
- Corroded boot handle, roof rack clips, BBS RX II's and aerial rubber base seal
- Peeling interior door handles
Since this time my rear washer pipe has come loose again and screwed up the new switch :roll:
leeriley
New

Post by leeriley »

ive had, new wheel bearings, new pads and shoes, new self adjusters on the handbrake, new lambda, also my pass seat creaks :S or something under the car? im not too sure on that one, new clutch cable, steering wheel knocks, and is crunchy :S possibly cv joint? and its on 72k these are the only problems ive had, other than ones caused by incidents .
adummy
Bronze Member

Post by adummy »

my passenger seat squeaks like hell when somebody gets in it aswell :?

really annoying cause its gettin louder :(
cottey
New

Post by cottey »

ah iv had the dreaded squeeky seat problem too,, but its not a killer to sort out just whip out the seat by un screwing the small bolt on the runner right next to the handle then you slide the whole seat forward or backward i cant quite remeber then with a bit of jimmying the seat should just float out,, then just give evernything a bit of a clean and a lube and happy days well it worked for mine good luck,,,,,,

m4tt
New

Post by m4tt »

We bought 6N2 and temperature gauge not working due to 4 pin green sender/sensor in top hose, VW say a common problem also was told electric window motors and mine has also had one replaced!
DanOliver
Silver Member

Post by DanOliver »

Since having mine about 4 months.. its only so far had a new EGR Valve, which I'm guessing isn't that common as it had to be ordered from germany because there wasn't a single one in the country?!?
PeterT
New

Post by PeterT »

tnez wrote:my 6n2 1.4 16v

which im shore waz the peddel box, vw warranty at apro 80.000 miles which was gd
:and im shore the rear washer pipe has just split due to reading this so will look at that later on

Hi,
My daughters pedal box has failed at a similar mileagecould you please give some details on how you got them to do it free?

Thanks.
DannyMk5
Getting There!

Post by DannyMk5 »

dont know if this has been mentioned before, and that this is on my gti but i had the EPC light on for ages and at some point none of my brake lights were working! just had it fixed on the morning of my MOT which needed the brake switch replacing :)
Rukie
New

Re: Known/common faults

Post by Rukie »

I've had quite a few problems with my VW Polo 6n2 1.4 16v as well. I've listed them below for everyone's information. I'm sure I've missed a few things but I'll add them when I remember. I hope this helps everyone. A couple of my mates have Polo's too and they've experienced similar problems. These have been denoted by a star *.
  • Problem: Pedal box cracked*
    Remedy: Got it wealded together by a mechanic
  • Problem: Gearbox tends to grind when I put it into reverse.*
    Remedy: No idea but I think it'll be out of my budget so I just ignore it. lol
  • Problem: Both front Internal door handles started peeling*
    Remedy: Had them replaced
    Notes: Just pop it out with a flat head screwdriver.
  • Problem: Drivers Window switch stopped functioning
    Remedy: Replaced Switch
    Notes: Quite simple to replace yourself just pop out the old one and replace it with the new one.
  • Problem: Speed sensor on my right passenger wheel has just gone (Intermittent)*
    Remedy: Replace Sensor
    Notes: Haven't had a chance to change mine yet but apparently it's quite simple. Been told its an L shaped sensor behind the tyre
  • Problem: Exhaust back box started rusting on the inside.*
    Remedy: Had my old back box cut from the rest of the exhaust (downpipe) and replaced it with the new back box
    Notes: Made like a rattling sound when I was pulling away. (It's the rust resonating in the chambers of the back box). Make sure you only replace the box as it'll be expensive to replace the whole thing.
  • Problem: Alternator belt is squeaking
    Remedy: Replace belt I guess?
    Notes: Haven't changed mine yet. A mechanic told me my belt was old so it had lost its moisture hence the squeaking.
  • Problem: Engine kept cutting out as rev's dropped*
    Remedy: Requires a throttle body clean out.
    Notes: I did it myself. Got a toothbrush and a can of compressed air. Sprayed the inside of the throttle body with compressed air and scrubbed it with the toothbrush while revving the engine.

O Yeah btw my car takes long to start mainly when its cold. I've looked through this forum and people have mentioned that it maybe a temperature sensor. My friend has a Vag-Com so we ran a diagnostic test. However it didnt bring up anything relating to a temperature sensor. Can anyone help?
bbspolo
Gold Member

Re:

Post by bbspolo »

polopowah wrote:yup its just the engine compacting as it cools down, completely normal so don't worry :)
as it heats up the engine (i believe its the manifold) expands.

-Ben-
who ever told u that mate has just muged you off! pmsl
bbspolo
Gold Member

Re:

Post by bbspolo »

randy wrote:Ok, apart from gearbox f*****g up which is now fixed after replacing the whole damn thing heres the problem i have:

The drivers door does not lock with the key. The central locking has gone now.

Basically i can open the drivers door with the key, but to lock the door.

I have to lock it inside and jump out the passengers side and lock the passengers side with the key.

Aswell as that, the passengers side door is becoming quite stiff to open.

Ordered a replacement central locking pump to see if this solves the problem, any help?

wont be the central locking pump as that would affect the whole system!
its a air leak 2 that door cylinder!
bbspolo
Gold Member

Re:

Post by bbspolo »

PeterT wrote:
tnez wrote:my 6n2 1.4 16v

Hi,
My daughters pedal box has failed at a similar mileagecould you please give some details on how you got them to do it free?

Thanks.

pull the pedal box out (not a easy job 4 some1 who doesnt know what there doing!!) and reweld it!
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Re: Re:

Post by Tim_GTi »

bbspolo wrote:

pull the pedal box out (not a easy job 4 some1 who doesnt know what there doing!!) and reweld it!
That's all VW did for the recall anyway!