Known/common faults

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
kingsleysaywell
Silver Member

Re: Known/common faults

Post by kingsleysaywell »

my petrol warning light stays on no matter how much petrol ive got? any ideas?
emma_88
Gold Member
Drives: 6N2 Polo GTi & 9N3 Polo GTi

Post by emma_88 »

Faults with my 2001 GTI so far:

- Alternator belt needed - All the dash lights came on at once and the car wouldn't start.
- Corrorded BBS RX II's and aerial rubber base seal
- Cambelt needed - A tooth and a half out of time
- New exhaust needed - Standard started blowing, badly.
- New clutch fitted and gearbox reconditioned - Clutch was slippng and gearbox was crunching in every gear.
- Peeling interior door handles

All the above done and the car is only about 100miles off 70,000 miles. Runt of the 2001 batch I think.
avfcnutter
Bronze Member

Post by avfcnutter »

In 15 months of ownership of my 6n2 1.4 mpi i have had the following problems

-Headlight reflectors broken in both, resulting in failed MOT
-Engine Check light coming on, Lambda sensor, both fron and rear need to be changed at the same time.
-ABS light, faulty connection under rear seats
-Peeling door handles
-Gearbox oil leak, new seal

Think thats it, not bad considering how i drive it. And it's just hit 100,000 miles :D
kipper
Platinum Member

Post by kipper »

even tho people stopped this over a month ago thought i might as well add ALL my problems:

2000 x reg 1 litre:

gear box rebuilt
engine rebuilt
new clutch
new battery
new pedal box
new vacuum hose
new brake light switch
new speed controller
new thermostate
new temp sensor
new passenger side cv joint
new track rods and ends both sides
new front handle mechanisms as they broke
new rear hub as bolt snapped in it

there possibly might be more but cant remember. might see about getting the water pump changed as that hasnt gone wrong yet....... prob see abotu it when i get a new cam belt.... when ever that is only had the last one done a couple of years ago i believe.

wanna sell my car now n e way... its not bad for a 1 litre but i want something more powerful.
Verity
Gold Member

Post by Verity »

These are a few things ive had go wrong with my W reg SE
(ive only had her about 2 months if that)

Blowing Exhaust
knew about it when i brought the car. brought a new one off eBay for £90

Blowing Manifold
took the manifold off and found a tiny hairline crack on some of the welding.
got a mate at work to reweld it for me as there was no point buying a whole new one. gave him £10 for his time.

Broken Passenger Side Key Barrel
new it was going to happen as i found something in the Known/common fault thread where someone said it went a bit stiff and wouldnt turn back properly or something like that. avoided using the key mainly but used it a few days ago and broke.
took the door card off and found the little bit that had broken off. central locking still works. so not worrying about it for now.

Rear washer hose pipe Blocked
Flushed loads of hot water through and started working but not great....

Rear washer hose pipe Leaking
When Flushing water through to get it working again. my boyfriend could smell the screen wash round the back of my car.
took the boot card off and followed the pipe round under the door of my left back passenger seat.
under the seat filled with water. and found the pipe had come apart just by the seat under the door.
put the pipe back together (it wasnt cut or broken. one pipe fits into the other. it has just come loose)
and is now all working propely.

Drivers Side Door Barrel
the other day it felt really stiff like the passenger side did. started freaking thinking that barrel was going to go as well...turned out it just needed a bit of grease.

Passenger Side Child Lock has a mind of its own
Sometimes the door wont open from the inside. has only done it about 3 times and has only happened to my boyfriend... i think the car likes having him there.
havnt had a look at it yet. so not been fixed.

Passenger Side Door Wont Open
Last two days the door wont open inside or out. managed to get it open once the other day. then not straight after. then yesterday the door opened after the drive but from the outside. currently still stuck.
Seems like something has slipped. will get the door open and take door card off when i can get round to it.

The Next Three all happened within 10 mins of each other -

Aircon/Cold Air making wierd noise
ws just driving along and a really loud weird blowing noise started happening.
boyfriend fixed it. took middle dash bit out and did what ever he did. all i saw was that the middle dial broke cose that wiggled on its own instead of staying were you put it.

Speakers Painful to listen to
...not really the cars fault as it turned out to be my iPod Tape adapter. the wires are broken as i hide them behind the orginal radio.
just have to listen to the radio till i get a new tape....or a headunit i like

Car Not Starting (turning over but taking ages to fire up)
tried a new battery by suggestion thinking that it might not have enough 'umf' but made no difference
boyfriend randomly redlined it and after that she started working better.
so brought some 10k Boost Petrol spray stuff from Halfords. worked a treat :) does everything it says on the box so my car is now working better then ever.

not cose to much money so far as most thing have been resolved by fidderling around :)
ash man
Getting There!

Post by ash man »

you people are really putting me off buying a polo now...
emma_88
Gold Member
Drives: 6N2 Polo GTi & 9N3 Polo GTi

Post by emma_88 »

ash man wrote:you people are really putting me off buying a polo now...
Every car has it's problems... Go on any forum and you'll get threads like this.
kipper
Platinum Member

Post by kipper »

if ur gonna get a polo check to see wat its had done that way u'll know wat to expect if theres n e thing else.......

hopefully today im gonna be getting my water pump changed......
kingsleysaywell
Silver Member

hi, has anyone had a problem with there car blowing hot air out from under the drivers door when idle? any ideas or experiences of what this is ?
thanks
kipper
Platinum Member

Post by kipper »

when u say hot air do u mean under the car or inside the car coming through the door seals?

if its under the car could it be from the exhaust? a hole in it somewhere?
kingsleysaywell
Silver Member

from outside ive had the exhaust checked but they cant seem to find anything lol my mate got the same problem with his lupo ???
lolhoward
Platinum Member

Post by lolhoward »

The faults i've had so far are......

COMMON:

Pedal Box

Brake Light Switch

Aerial Base corroded (not really a fault)

Old rear washer leak corroded boot light switch

Washer hose disconnected behind rear seats

Door handles peeling (not really a fault)

STANDARD:

Water pump (within 3 days of buying it!)

Not too bad, had it year and half to two years. All minor faults until the pedal box, and the pump they replaced for free. All the others repaired by myself.
fackers89
New

Post by fackers89 »

2001 1.4 8v falts as follows:

gearbox rebuild (thankfully not over my watch)

every sensor on the car, every time i sort the engine warning light another pops up.

both front abs sensors.

rear passengers abs light comes on when someone sits in the back passengers side, and when they get out give it 5 mins and the light goes off. some one answered it earlier on here, the wires run under the seat and could have worked loose.

really heavy grotty TICK TICK TICK TICK noise and really loud too when cold, then gets quiter when warmer, not the oil as its mid on the dip stick, it sounds embarassing driving passed people. its going in for a service next week and a cam belt change so we'll see after that.

both front seats are extremely stiff to move, have to give them a good push. oiled them and still no difference.

oil goes down like mad, but will take advice yet again from an earlier persons problem with the oil absorbing up the breather.

car takes a good 4 - 10 times to turn over before it starts, sometimes pot luck second times but most times it takes up to 10 times to start, worse in the winter, all i can think is it needs a new barrel as its at 102k. this fault is extremely annoying!

and ive some how got this albino insect in my side light....thought it was sealed, its quite big too! and i have moss on the edges of the side lights inside but no condensation or water.

sure theres more but i cant remember at the moment.
jonny6n2
Getting There!

Post by jonny6n2 »

Car failing to start after i fill up with petrol or when i drive it anytime i switch the engine off and get back in and the car wont start any1 else having this problem?
lolhoward
Platinum Member

Post by lolhoward »

fackers89 wrote:2001 1.4 8v falts as follows:

gearbox rebuild (thankfully not over my watch)

every sensor on the car, every time i sort the engine warning light another pops up.

both front abs sensors.

rear passengers abs light comes on when someone sits in the back passengers side, and when they get out give it 5 mins and the light goes off. some one answered it earlier on here, the wires run under the seat and could have worked loose.

really heavy grotty TICK TICK TICK TICK noise and really loud too when cold, then gets quiter when warmer, not the oil as its mid on the dip stick, it sounds embarassing driving passed people. its going in for a service next week and a cam belt change so we'll see after that.

both front seats are extremely stiff to move, have to give them a good push. oiled them and still no difference.

oil goes down like mad, but will take advice yet again from an earlier persons problem with the oil absorbing up the breather.

car takes a good 4 - 10 times to turn over before it starts, sometimes pot luck second times but most times it takes up to 10 times to start, worse in the winter, all i can think is it needs a new barrel as its at 102k. this fault is extremely annoying!

and ive some how got this albino insect in my side light....thought it was sealed, its quite big too! and i have moss on the edges of the side lights inside but no condensation or water.

sure theres more but i cant remember at the moment.

Do an oil change to get rid of the loud tick over. I'm buying myself a new oil filter and doing the same as I have the same issue.