Golf Gti steels on a Mk3 Polo??

Chat about your MKIII (86C) inc GT/G40 Polo
JSCmk3
New

Golf Gti steels on a Mk3 Polo??

Post by JSCmk3 »

New to this site... anyone put standard Golf Gti Mk2 14" steel wheels on a Mk3? Do they fit ok, offset etc? Anyone got any pics of one with them on?

Mk3 (estate squareback) is standard height at the minute but soon to be 40mm lowered, but no more. Any help greatly appreciated!

Cheers guys
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

Post by Gareth_GT_Hatch »

are they 6 inches wide and ET38? You *might* just get away with it depending on tyre choice. Its the rear arches that cause the problems.

I used to run 185/55/14s on alloys with the same dimensions as those, and had scrubbage on one side at the back. With 185/50s you may still get scrubbage once you lower it. Also the brand of tyre can make a difference and wether or not they tyres have rim protection. What engine has it got? I run 165/55/14s on my GT hatch and on an unmodded GT they were absolutely fine (not quite so good now though) 165/55/14s and 165/60/14s are really cheap too and you should avoid scrubbage. You could always modify the rear arches of course. And you never know you might be one of the lucky ones who gets away with it.
JSCmk3
New

Post by JSCmk3 »

Not sure of the exact size or offset yet, short of finding someone with a Gti on standard wheels and having a look. I know on Golf's they have 185/60/14's on which will be too big, was hoping to run 185/55/14's if pos as these work out about the same diameter as standard, but could go down to 185/50/14 if needed or even smaller on the width. Don't mind doing minor mods to make whatever size fit tho.

Engine is currently a 1.0 with a blown head gasket, however, have just bought a 1.3 for parts so may hire an engine crane instead of buying a head gasket set and bung the engine out of that in (it's lower mileage too).
adeg40
New

Post by adeg40 »

go to www.polog40.co.uk click on owners and look at Alex juggins G40 thats on mk2 Gti steels looks good