Golf GTI brakes..

Chat about your MKIII (86C) inc GT/G40 Polo
dub envy

Golf GTI brakes..

Post by dub envy »

hmmm... I have seen people talk about bigger brake conversions, and have seen G40's/GT's at showswith rear disks and found this GTI at the breakers...

Are these the brakes I need? Are they just a straight swap? Do any brackets need to be fabbed?

What about master cylinder? What size is on my Polo as Golf's (8V) have 18mm cylinders?

What sort of price would these brakes fetch? Cos if these would fit I dont want to get ripped off by the breakers!!

front

rear

any info on this (or similar) conversion would be much appreciated!

thanks 8)
KarlM
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by KarlM »

I'm almost certain this will work, i'm waiting a for a reply from Awesome GTi about whats needed (i think it will need the entire hub assembly) but that was on a mk4.

do you really want those discs though? they will mean the brake force ditribution will be way out (leading to 'interesting' moments when braking) unless you upsize the fronts.
dub envy

Post by dub envy »

I don't understand..

Those front disks are vented 238mm 8V GTI brakes.. what size would I have up front as standard??
KarlM

Post by KarlM »

don't know, thats all i've been told. i would assume you need something with more stopping power (like drilled or grooved, not just bigger discs) otherwise the rears will outbrake the fronts and make the car spin.

I'm currently sourcing a set of 256mm disc from the 16v - perhaps something like this would work?

speak to jim at awesome, he can explain it a bit better :oops:
dub envy

Post by dub envy »

so I'd need the GTI brake bias adjuster too? or is there one already on the polo? If so, is it up to the job?

I'm sorry but my knowledge of Polo's is very limited as I am a Golf man at heart....

I don't see why there would be any probs fitting front and rear disks off a GTI. If they are good enaough for a heavier, faster Golf then they should be fine for a lil Polo...

I think I may send Jim an email.. but prolly won't :?
KarlM

Post by KarlM »

hit the nail on the head there mate. they are TOO good. the polo is a lot lighter so the brakes will slow the car down better. which means they will lock up (like the front wheels do on the Super1600 rally cars) which is not good :(
dub envy

Post by dub envy »

Is there adjustment on a GT do you know???

When I lowered my Golf it was fun times on roundabouts and bends!!! Too much bias to the rear brakes (the car thought it was fully loaded as the rear was so low, therefore applying more pressure to the rear disks!) made for fun arse out action!!!

A 2 minute adjustment and the problem was sorted! If there isn't a bias adjuster on the car, then in-line ones can be bought from Demon Tweeks. Would this solve the problem?
KarlM

Post by KarlM »

in short - YES! :lol:

that would do it! good luck mate!
hardhitter

Post by hardhitter »

Those are the 239 mm vented brakes, but be careful. The Mk 2 Golf Gti (non-valver) use the correct VW type II callipers, but the carriers have a different hub mounting on them. The callipers are ok, but you need carriers off a Mk 1 Golf Gti/cab, Scirocco or G40.

Rear discs, I would not bother with them. First reason being you dont need them because the rears dont do much braking. The Polo wont need any big braking power on the rear. You have to adjust the rear brake pressure regulator (yes, one is fitted) and adapt rear hanbrake cables etc. It's a lot of work and those calipers have a habbit of seizing on too.
dub envy

Post by dub envy »

Ok, checklist...

*Golf 8v GTI VW II calipers.
*Mk 1 Golf Gti/cab, Scirocco or G40 carriers.

What about a braided hose kit?? Mk2 Golf GTI or Polo GT?

And I take it the GT master cylinder is up to the job??
hardhitter

Post by hardhitter »

Yeah, the Mk 1 Golf Gti/cab, Scirocco or G40 callipers can be used too.

Braided hoses are worth doing too, a Mk 3 Polo goodridge braided hose kit will do the trick. C&R do them for about £35. Gives more pedal feel.

The normal master cylinder should be fine.

Cleaning and adjusting rear brakes helps too.
dub envy

Post by dub envy »

Yeah, my rear drums are a little squeeky and could do with a good clean. What's the beat stuff for doing that with?
hardhitter

Post by hardhitter »

Rear drums:

The squeaking comes from the pivot where the lever joins the brake shoe. Take the drum off and lubricate the squeaking lever and then clean the shoes / drums with course emery cloth and brake cleaner. Before putting it all back, use a little copper grease on the pivot.
Put the drum back on and adjust the wedge key to bring the drums closer the drum throught the bolt hole.
dub envy

Post by dub envy »

Thank you.Image I'll do that this weekend. While I'm at it I may as well paint all my brakes. They are looking a little shabby through my wheels!!

Just a thought.. would Golf 16v 256mm front disks and calipers fit??
hardhitter

Post by hardhitter »

You can do the 256mm conversion using the Lucas girling callipers, but you need the carriers off an early 5 cyl Audi coupe (C reg I think) which are quite hard to find. They are the ones with the correct hub bolt spacing. 14" wheels are required for this.

I tried to get the carriers for ages, but gave up and went for the G40 ones.