Binding Brakes

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
andyg
Silver Member

Binding Brakes

Post by andyg »

I noticed recently that if i am on a slight incline and i take my foot of the brakes the car doesn't roll. I was a little concerened about it so I jacked up the car and spun the wheels with my hand.

The rear wheels spin relativly freely but I can hear the disk binding on the pad slightly, if i push the wheel with my hand i cannot get them to spin on their own but they will turn.

The front wheel spins too but I can feel the resistance of the pad on the disk and obv it wont spin on its own cause its turning the drive shaft but its definately binding a tiny bit.

Anyone know the cause of the problem and a solution?

Cheers
Del_GTi
Gold Member

Post by Del_GTi »

Its likely to be break-up of the brake pads. I had this on the rear brakes of mine a few weeks ago. Was so bad that the car wouldnt actually move back at all, and i had to call out VW Assist as i couldnt get out my drive.

Take the wheel off and inspect the pads.
andyg
Silver Member

Post by andyg »

I see, is it an expensive job? I usually change pads and disks on my older cars but I always have a haynes manual nearby (no haynes for gti). What actually happens to the pads? and how much did it cost you to fix? also did the problem slowly get worse or did it happen all of a sudden.

cheers
Del_GTi
Gold Member

Post by Del_GTi »

Na shouldn't be too expensive, just depends on whether you want aftermarket stuff, which is what i bought.

I think the failure of the pads is due to them not being used as much as the front, then water and crap gets in and wrecks them.

Changing the pads and discs is actually very straight forward and shouldn't cause much of a problem.

BTW yeah mine got gradually worse, could hear them binding on the discs. You'll probably need new discs too cos the failed pad will no doubt damage it.
andyg
Silver Member

Post by andyg »

cheers mate
Rozzie
Getting There!

Post by Rozzie »

I just had the disks and pads changed at the front and got it done in a garage coming in at 170 pounds.

Roz
andyg
Silver Member

Post by andyg »

my Gti went in today for its 60k service

They said the back brakes were binding slightly and they would need it back in to strip them down. They refused to do it under warrenty, claiming its a wear and tear part.

The pads are wear and tear but them sticking to the disks is not a wear and tear issue in my opinion. What do you guys think? will i get anywhere by biitching at them about it?

I've had 2 polos now and I gotta say VW service/aftersales are a terrible, I am gonna make the extended journey to JBS for its next service.
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by polo2k »

if its the pad degenerating or it just needs a clean then it it wear and tear but if there is a fault with the caliper causing it then you might have grounds for warrenty
morrismen
Silver Member

Brakes and Pads

Post by morrismen »

VW Service never did rectify my squeeking front left brake. It seems that the hot weather causes the brake pads to "stick" as the tolerance on the pads and caliper is so tight. Th brake pads then bind in hot weather or when they heat up excessively in the hot weather with driving and brakin hard.

My car was squeeling like a pig on bends cos the front left brake was binding.

The problem is that the Winter, salt rusts up the caliper and it gets stuffed with road dirt and grime, and then the pads stick on the guidance shamfer.

All you can do is file a bit off the edge of the brake pads and then copper grease the caliper guidance they fit into. This will stop it for another year, but there is no permanent fix for this. It is there by design.