Wayhey! I'm a sexual deviant...

Non-VW related chat - Moderated
dxg

Wayhey! I'm a sexual deviant...

Post by dxg »

Not to cast aspersions on anyone who uses these products, but I've just had a Paypal invoice come through for £1,968 on 2 x "Masterbators" from some company called "sexito."

So, one cancelled credit card later, I'm still sitting here deeply worried. Any advice on what else I can do?

:x

Deek.
dino
Sponsor

Post by dino »

report it to paypal maybe..
metz

Post by metz »

Make sure you phone paypal though as i've had nothing but trouble with their email system..i think they have chimps answering them.

I sold something on ebay and was paid by paypal..one week later (after the item was shipped) paypal seize the payment, i email countless times wondering whats up and recieve a couple of emails back answering a totally different question. Anyway i ring them and after 45minutes on hold speak to some irish girl who tells me the buyer had a problem with their credit card and it will be sorted out soon.

A few days later i recieve an email from paypal saying they have looked into things and the best course of action (according to their trained chimps) is to send payment back to the seller, leaving me out of pocket.

Now the seller aint registered with ebay anymore!

sorry to babble a bit but the point i was making is to not trust paypal to sort it out as in my experience they are useless.
dxg

Post by dxg »

Hmm, so a little bit more digging and it appears to be a particularly nasty spoof email.

I was viewing it on my trusted iBook, so nothing untoward was going on, but I did notice that the links were going to some rather odd url - although paypal was in the name, there were other random characters as well.

Clicking on a link did nothing on the mac.

Went over to the PC to have a closer look, and clicked on one of the links - trojan upon trojan then attempted to download itself - thank god for microsoft's anti-spyware program, although I fear that a full reinstall will on the cards v soon anyway.

So, I guess the moral of this tail is to check your paypal receipts very carefully - check to see where the links are pointing to before clicking on them - otherwise this just looks *identical* to any other paypal message.

I consider myself reasonably competent with computers and this fooled me. So much so, that I now have to live without a credit card until the replacement turns up - how will I cope?

Deek.
dino
Sponsor

Post by dino »

i get about 4 emails a week saying an additional email has been added to my account to confirm or decline this email click the link.

I forward them straight to spoof@paypal.com who deal with them.

I can tell there fraud ones as i have hotmail set to erxclusive and proper paypal emails go to inbox and these fraud ones go straight to junk :wink:

Living without your card will be a pain. I had to live without a working cash card for 2 weeks as when mine run out natwest forgot to order me a new one! Two weeks of having to cue up for 20 mins (busy branch) to get my own cash rather than using an atm was a pain in the ass
GaryUK
Gold Member

Post by GaryUK »

You sure it wasn't the result of a drunken night's surfing???

:lol:
carmadaaron
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by carmadaaron »

Woah! nearly a £2k bill!?

better to have lower limits ... :)
inder
Platinum Member

Post by inder »

Defo fake email m8, I sometimes get those thru too lol :lol:
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

for future reference: never ever ever ever ever EVER click on the link in one of those emails no matter how shocking or real the contents may look.

close your browser, open another one and type the www.paypal.com (or whatever service you're after - ebay, internet banking etc) address directly and log into your account as normal to check things out.

they're known as particularly nasty ways for identity theifs to "Phish" you - ie sends you to a fake site and steals your username and password when you type them to log in. The phishers can then go on to use that online ID for all kinds of reasons. If you've been tricked by one of them you should also immediately go back to the real site and cancel that particular account (or at least, change the password!), never mind the credit card.