Hi guys

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
Polo Paul
Silver Member

Hi guys

Post by Polo Paul »

Hi guys just traitored over here from SeatCupra.net

I'll give you a breif history, started off in a MK2 VW Polo C 1043cc and loved every minute of owning that car, would still own her today if it didnt have more holes than a cheese grater.

Traded it in for a MK2 Seat Ibiza 1.4 which was relaible and a bit more comfortable, then moved up again to a MK2 Ibiza GTi 2.0 8v. Loved the GTi to bits and was an amasing car as standard unfortunately it was rear ended and consigned to car heaven. Which brings me back to a good old VW Polo 1.4 CL until the insurance and everything gets sorted.

Had a few ideas for it already including smoked rear lights, clear indicators and side repeaters, spoiler with 3rd level brake light and some GL/GLX alloys.

Performance wise its staying standard as i have lived the expensive life with the GTi and although i enjoyed it ,i spent more time watching the fuel guage instead of enjoying the car towards the end. Was thinking of a drilled air box to add a bit of a growl to it, but with this shape airbox (round) should i drill many small holes all around the front, or a few big ones?

Any experiences or pics of this are much appreciated :D

Hi again

Paul
walshc
Silver Member

Post by walshc »

Welcome 8)
vdubyabush
Silver Member

Post by vdubyabush »

my mates had two cupras, yellow one with the 16v kits on looked awesome man and went like a ........ welcome mate
Phil6N
Bronze Member

Post by Phil6N »

Performance wise its staying standard as i have lived the expensive life with the GTi and although i enjoyed it ,i spent more time watching the fuel guage instead of enjoying the car towards the end. Was thinking of a drilled air box to add a bit of a growl to it, but with this shape airbox (round) should i drill many small holes all around the front, or a few big ones?

Any experiences or pics of this are much appreciated
I drilled loads of holes at the back of the air box, literally loads with a 10mm drill piece, then only 2 holes at the front, and running a k&n replacement air filter, oh yes it sounds alright.
polopowah
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Hertfordshire Drives: Ford Puma 1.7 Enjoys: Mowing grass

Post by polopowah »

Welcome to the forum, enjoy your stay :)

-Ben-
Tris
Gold Member

Post by Tris »

Welcome mate
SEAT_UK
New

Post by SEAT_UK »

Where can I get the spoiler, how much?
Where can I get the alloys how much?

Sorry am doing the exact same thing as you, had a 02 Ibiza really unreliable and then it got smashed in the back so getting my sisters 98 Polo 1.4 CL just want to make it bit more grrrr if you get me lol.
Polo Paul
Silver Member

Post by Polo Paul »

Cheers for the warm welcome guys :D , sorry i havent been back in a while, insurance poeple want to talk to me about every litle detail as usual.

Had the Polo 4 days now and feels much more solid that either of my ibiza's, even though they are virtually the same car. Everything has more of a solid 'thunk' to it instead of the 'bang' the ibiza's made.

Had a 200mile drive and only notice one thing that may need attention and thats a slight grinding noise when changing gear, figured maybe the clutch is getting on a bit as it is 10 years old and has done 60k.
DanDiesel
Sponsor

Post by DanDiesel »

welcome along mate!!
Reeyad
Silver Member

Post by Reeyad »

Phil6N wrote:

Any experiences or pics of this are much appreciated
I drilled loads of holes at the back of the air box, literally loads with a 10mm drill piece, then only 2 holes at the front, and running a k&n replacement air filter, oh yes it sounds alright.
By drilling holes in the filter box wouldnt this draw hot air in, if so this will reduce performance and not increase.
Polo Paul
Silver Member

Post by Polo Paul »

i too was thinking this, but i guess its where you have them and if you could fashion some sort of heat shield to protect them from the heat. I guess at the back of the box there would be less heat as the exhuast manifold is on the front of the engine?

Will nip up the scrappy and get an airbox to experiment with i think.