VW Polo GTI reliability?

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
samuel090180
Bronze Member

VW Polo GTI reliability?

Post by samuel090180 »

Having just purchased a new VW Polo GTI with a very dodgy gearbox, I would like to know how reliable these cars are?
I am asking this question because I am considering selling this vehicle as soon as it is fixed.
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

Each car is going to have it's own individual problems of course but IMHO the Polo is a reliable motor. Mine has had its fair share of problems and niggles but any car whether it be a VW or another marque will have something go wrong at some point in its life.

If the gearbox problem is the only issue you've got at the moment, and it hasn't dented your wallet too heavily, I'd suggest giving the Polo a second chance :D

I can understand your viewpoint though, if something major or very costly goes wrong with your car it knocks your confidence in it somewhat :?
ModifiedMadness
Sponsor

Post by ModifiedMadness »

I've had it 6 months and so far it's only been in to have a new brakelight switch fitted.

Other than that it's been fine.

Give it a chance mate, you'll love it :D
PhilGTi
Platinum Member

Post by PhilGTi »

Had mine about 6 months, only thing ive changed is the rear indicator bulb.
Redline
Sponsor
Drives: Skoda Octavia vRS

Post by Redline »

In 11 months, only fault has been the brake light switch.

There was the time when I thought the climate control had gone, but that was due to the failings of VW dealerships, not the car.
andyg
Silver Member

Post by andyg »

I have had my GTi about 12 months. I have covered approx 9000 miles, prolly 60% motorway milage.

Problems I have had are:

Wheel bearing replacing (free of charge cause under warrenty)

Gearbox seal leaking (cost £40 to fix)

The wheel bearing is a part I'd expect to go at 60k miles. I love my GTi, compare it to anything out there, most new cars still dont get xenons as standard and this is a 5 year old motor. Its gonna be a sort after car too, so financially it would be a good idea to keep hold.
oscar olop gti
Silver Member

Post by oscar olop gti »

Had it about 6 months (i think :oops:) only the gearbox selector seal needed changing. Free under the warrenty.
Was shown up at last MOT before i owned the car, but wasn't changed. :?
marc
New

Post by marc »

had my gti for three years these are my problems ive had with the car

1) all alloy wheels replaced due to corrosion
2) water pump replaced car was over heating
3) cooling fan replaced link with car over heating
4) pedal box replaced safety recall on all gti's
5) drivers electric window switch replaced
6) hand brake switch replaced always showed brake lights on even when ignition off.
7) Slip ring on steering wheel replaced twice (VW couldnt get it right first time) this caused graunching sound when turning the wheel
8) Creaky dash board surround not really major but well annoying
9 )thrust bearing and clutch plate replaced when changing pedal box

However dispite these problems she drives as sweet as a nut and still puts a massive grin on my face. the love is still there
Dangerous Dave
Silver Member

Post by Dangerous Dave »

There not the best for reliabilty (IMO) my girlfriend bought a Clio just before I got the Polo. In the time she had the car she has done similair miles and has had less go wrong with her Clio than my Polo ! I've had in the 4 years of ownership

New clocks after the speedo jammed
New indicator arm
Gearbox seal at the linkage went needed replaced
2 pedal boxes
Brakelight switch
Gearbox has had the oil changed twice as it was getting a little notchy
Waterpump failed almost taking the timing belt with it.
Passanger window motor replaced
Starter motor sticking on, needed removed and cleaned
cars had 3 sets of alloys all of which have corroded.

The clio in the same time only needed a new front spring as it was starting to rust at the bottom ! I have a grin when someone says Clios are rubbish built when I think whats went wrong with my Polo which bar the speedo and pedal box (only a fault with GTI models) my dealer said are very common problems on every Polo.

The gearbox and clutch on the GTI seem to be a weak spot aswell as the timing belt tensioners from reading a few posts here. My dealer has been excellant which has made the repairs quick and painless the cars done 64k now and I am thinking about replacing it but other than the faults its been a great car.
VDUBGTI
Bronze Member

Post by VDUBGTI »

had my gti 6 months now and only had to replace a brake light bulb
M@Turner
Platinum Member

Post by M@Turner »

Had mine 23months and the only problem i've had is a faulty brake pedal switch, which occured in the first month of purchase! Nothing else has gone wrong or needed replacing so am extremely happy!

All cars have little problems, however you do get some which don't have any problems what so ever. At the end of the day its a piece of machinery so something will eventually go wrong. You just have to keep your fingers crossed you've dropped on a decent one. :wink:

Now i'm off to find a plank of wood to touch as my MOT is due in 2weeks. :lol:

Mat
HK 6N2
Bronze Member

Re: VW Polo GTI reliability?

Post by HK 6N2 »

samuel090180 wrote:Having just purchased a new VW Polo GTI with a very dodgy gearbox, I would like to know how reliable these cars are?
I am asking this question because I am considering selling this vehicle as soon as it is fixed.
You talking about 9N3 1.8T Polo GTI?? :roll:
samuel090180
Bronze Member

Post by samuel090180 »

I am refering to a 1.6 16v Polo GTI
ModifiedMadness
Sponsor

Post by ModifiedMadness »

Dangerous Dave wrote:There not the best for reliabilty (IMO) my girlfriend bought a Clio just before I got the Polo. In the time she had the car she has done similair miles and has had less go wrong with her Clio than my Polo ! I've had in the 4 years of ownership

New clocks after the speedo jammed
New indicator arm
Gearbox seal at the linkage went needed replaced
2 pedal boxes
Brakelight switch
Gearbox has had the oil changed twice as it was getting a little notchy
Waterpump failed almost taking the timing belt with it.
Passanger window motor replaced
Starter motor sticking on, needed removed and cleaned
cars had 3 sets of alloys all of which have corroded.

The clio in the same time only needed a new front spring as it was starting to rust at the bottom ! I have a grin when someone says Clios are rubbish built when I think whats went wrong with my Polo which bar the speedo and pedal box (only a fault with GTI models) my dealer said are very common problems on every Polo.

The gearbox and clutch on the GTI seem to be a weak spot aswell as the timing belt tensioners from reading a few posts here. My dealer has been excellant which has made the repairs quick and painless the cars done 64k now and I am thinking about replacing it but other than the faults its been a great car.
In all fairness though Dave, you may have just had a bad experience.

No doubt there's Clio's out there that have had sh1tloads of problems with them, each car is individual 8)
brianpologti
Bronze Member

Post by brianpologti »

And its also down to the way the car is driven and where, I drive my hard and on main roads and motorways, I ve a few problems, gearbox, pedal box, etc, girlfriend got a 106 and i the same time I ve had the polo she only had a exhaust,(speed bumps) :roll: but she drives it around town,