THE Polo GTi Pedal Box Thread

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
Rozzie
Getting There!

Post by Rozzie »

ok cheers for the tip. How much will it cost tho??
morrismen
Silver Member

Cost

Post by morrismen »

Well, it should be the cost of a hour labour I suspect... £30 - £40 I'd guess now. You shouldn't need to buy any parts as it's just having the engineer check it out with their tool. :wink:
PoloGTi
Silver Member

Re: Cost

Post by PoloGTi »

morrismen wrote:Well, it should be the cost of a hour labour I suspect... £30 - £40 I'd guess now. You shouldn't need to buy any parts as it's just having the engineer check it out with their tool. :wink:
Having a laugh? 1 Hour = £65+vat @ VW

Rozzie - only joking about the 'girl' jibe!
morrismen
Silver Member

Here's how it is

Post by morrismen »

If you still have problems post-recall, then call VW customer service.

They now have it on record that many of us had problems since getting our cars back post-recall, and VW are prepared to resolve these issues on an "Internal" repair with a VW Dealer (only).

So, I've had my steering knock resolved over the past 3 days and had a loan car at no cost whilst it was being fixed up. All now appears to be resolved (but I wait for a while to confirm).

If you are still not satisfied with what was done, carried out, with the work, with the new pedal box, with any damage incurred, or you wish to just complain or emphasis issues you've had with the Pedal Box Recall, VW Customer Service are listening - they are now writing all concerns and issues down in a improvement process to give better service to their customers.

Tel: VW Customer Service on 0800 711 811

Good Luck :wink:
andyd
New

Post by andyd »

:cry: :cry: Since my pedal-box recall I have had occassional trouble engaging first and second gears and reversing has been with a degree of gear crunching. Took the car to the dealers who made some 'adjustments'. Problem solved......or so I thought......

Gear change was brilliant for first 10-15 mins of driving.......but then it became impossible to get into 1st or 2nd. Dealers now in the process of fitting a new clutch, which I am having to shell out for. Car has been with dealers for the past two weeks while they try and sort this, in addition to a steering wheel scraping sound problem, and also a replacement radiator fan/compressor.

I mentioned that other GTI drivers had been having similar clutch problems.....but VW at Milton Keyens - as yet - dont seem to be registering this as a serious problem with the GTI's. If you have had problems as well...please log it with VW.
owenjt
Bronze Member

Post by owenjt »

When buying a gti is there paperwork available to prove if its had its pedal box done? I saw one the other week and they weren't sure.
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

owenjt wrote:When buying a gti is there paperwork available to prove if its had its pedal box done? I saw one the other week and they weren't sure.
If you visit your local dealership with the registration number they should be able to look it up on the national database and tell you if it's been done?
vdubit
Gold Member

Post by vdubit »

After my pedal box braking recently I've been doing a little research. Obviouly mine is covered by a recall (which i still have to book) but I know normal mk5's aren't.

Anyway, found this post that i thought was well helpful...

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=9233
Tigz
Gold Member

Post by Tigz »

A couple of our members without warrenty have also had them fixed for free.
Neither had it easy, ut after lots of phone calls and letters, and the odd threat of Watchdog VW have replaced the box for free.
PHILIP1193
Bronze Member

Post by PHILIP1193 »

my car this when goin into reverse mainly when i start the car, i always though revs were to high even when i engaged the clutch but maybe its this problem. Would VW sort it for free on a non gti polo or not?

Phil
h84tyg
Getting There!

pedal box

Post by h84tyg »

drove my car for first time in 2 years of building to gti international at the weekend, about a 130 mile round trip. about 10 miles from home i noticed my clutch pedal didn,t seem to feel right.when i got home i investigated and found that the pedal had dropped. after this it has been extremely difficult to engage gears and when sat in traffic with clutch pedal down the car still creeps along as though the clutch has not disengaged. my car is not a gti but a 1.4 16v. will this be covered under the recall or will i have to argue with vw about it? car has only done 36000 miles.
cyhliu
Platinum Member

Post by cyhliu »

As far as I am aware the recall was for the MkV GTI only and didn't cover the other models in the range.

You could try calling VW and see what they say...be interesting...
pberry
New

Post by pberry »

Hmmm... this thread is about Polo GTi pedalboxes but from what I've experienced and heard from others in the motor repair trade it's not just that model.

My X-reg Polo Saloon 1.4 (below) is currently at the garage for the 4th time in as many weeks with freaking clutch cable/pedalbox issues. Garage fitted new pedalbox ("the spot welds go on these models"), only for the clips to come off the clutch cable/pedal connection--the pedal just falls to and sits on the floor when this happens mid-traffic--two times in a row since "repairing". AA have been out twice to sort it out and trail me to the garage each time. Since the pedalbox is new, now looks like the auto-regulator on the clutch cable itself (within engine compartment) is at fault. All this is great fun and £100s to sort out. As has been said, a new pedalbox or clutch cable/regulator isn't expensive (about £30-£40) but fitting one pushes the labour costs up massively. It's also something beyond the means of the amateur to fix, due to the position of the pedal undeneath eveything.

The EPC light is now on since the new pedalbox was fitted which I'm going to have to learn to ignore. Annoyingly, this is just after a full service revealed the pedalbox issue, so it's not going to be reset unless I take it in again just for that! Would it be wise to take it in to have the light reset or just ignore it for another 11 months until next service?

The AA guys drive in nice 03-reg VW vans and they themselves have gone through a couple of new pedalboxes each for their vans. I know they do a shedload of miles but even so. They also almost daily attend to members in their VWs having this issue. Someone definitely messed up big time down at VW Design HQ with the clutch mechanism! :evil:

Sympathy to anyone who's had to deal with this. I just count myself lucky that the pedal/cable has failed in local traffic or while stationary. I dread to think what might happen if/when it fails again while I'm uphill, on the motorway at speed, or fully-laden.
Blackie
New

Post by Blackie »

Hey all, my pedal box has just gone too! the part the which the clutch goes into snapped of completley and tore a hole in the part tht came off. Hav suspected this for a while. When depresseing the clutch i noticed a creaking noise coming from the clutch(like wen a door hinge needs oiled), crunching gears unless pedal was bushed right down and wen it was pushed right down it wud reach the bottom then with more pressure(from built up rage) wud push it down more. That prolly didnt help but it felt good! Gonna hav to try and do a make shift fix to it to save me from being towed. Not gonna bother trying for a recall, wud b like farting in the wind.
Tigz
Gold Member

Post by Tigz »

Tigz wrote:A couple of our members without warrenty have also had them fixed for free.
Neither had it easy, ut after lots of phone calls and letters, and the odd threat of Watchdog VW have replaced the box for free.
Im just argueing with them now.
My 'box was replaced in Auguest 2004 and its gone again.
Because the car is over 5 years old, VWUK can not use goodwill.
On hold while they speak with the warrenty department, as she is denying any problems with them.
She states that if a part is fitted under warranty, there is no warranty on the part, like there would be if I had paid for the repair (two years parts and labour then).
I have two VWs on my drive.
I wont have a third.

OK.
Should be covered.