Drivers side speaker

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
ChrisTheGrant
New

Drivers side speaker

Post by ChrisTheGrant »

Hi,

I was sitting in my '03 1.2 E Polo the other day waiting about, and decided to fiddle with the balance on the radio. I had not noticed this before, but when I set the balance all the way to the left, I could still hear the music pretty well, with nothing at all coming out of the right. Then i set the balance all the way to the right, and nothing was coming out of the right still, but I could still hear the radio coming faintly from the left.

Now im no expert and I dont claim to be, but im pretty sure that means that theres something wrong with my right hand speaker. On closer investigation I put my ear next to it, with the balance set to normal, and there was still nothing, even when I turned it up loud.

Has anyone else experienced this before? Like i said, i hadnt noticed before, but now that I know it doesnt work its annoying me. If anyone can help me fix it id appreciate it a lot. Sorry if i have been a total noob, I dont know a lot about cars but I would like to learn at some stage.

Thanks,
Chris
dino
Sponsor

Post by dino »

Welcome to the forum firstly and secondly, I'm not an ICE expert so only thinking of some possible problems.

Could be loose wiring or possibly speaker has blown. Hopefully someone will be along with better knowledge than me and be able to give you a decent answer.
ChrisTheGrant
New

Post by ChrisTheGrant »

Thanks Dino,

I had another try today and its still broke. Any ideas guys?

Thanks
Chris
X1_NBP
Getting There!

Post by X1_NBP »

i had this problem but it was with some 6"9 and the problem was just a lose wire...

try pulling your stereo out

if you got the standard one just take the plugs at the back out and give them a clean

thats all i can think of...

does the rights hand speaker work normally when the balance is equal
Rob123
Getting There!

Post by Rob123 »

with standard speakers and headunit and little knowledge your best bet would be VW dealer if you ahve a warranty.

the speaker is very unlikely to be blown

its most likely a loose connection somewhere or a faulty headunit

if you knwo anyone who knows about ICE get them to give you a hand getting the headunit out, clean the connectors and try again, if still no then try and get hold of another headunit to test it with (off a mate, if you can)

checking the connections on the speakers is a serious hassle especially if you dont really know what your doing.

to remove the headunit >> look for 2 vertical slits at either side of the headunit, then poke something about 10cm long and roughly the same shape as the slits right back, then you should feel/hear a click. if you have a tape player, then put your fingers into the tape slot and pull it out, might require some force.

hope that helps, good luck!