Is it a crime to copy other people's mods?

Non-VW related chat - Moderated
Si_GTi

Is it a crime to copy other people's mods?

Post by Si_GTi »

Got me thinking, after seeing a thread on Club Lupo, what people's thoughts are on adding modifications to your car that someone else has already completed...

I'm not talking about stuff like induction kits, suspension or wheels, more unique touches like bodywork or interior mods?

As an example, something like a wing vent - take the hypothetical situation where for instance you have got a unique design of vent in your front wing to help feed cold air to an induction kit or some such, but then I do the research, find out what it is and go and put an identical one on mine after seeing yours - would you be (a) pleased to see your own ideas being copied by other people who obviously like it, or (b) furious that someone has the cheek to copy your own original modification!

I myself, should the opportunity arise (looking for cheap parts on fleabay at the moment), would like to obtain a spare GTi bootlid and a Golf mk5 boot lock/handle mechanism, and have the lock handle grafted into the Polo bootlid as a fully functional boot release. I was idly chatting with iceypolo about this at GTI Summer Festival, if he does it first will he go mad at me for doing it to mine too? Incidentally, a member of Club Lupo has done this already and it looks fantastic - link here :)

IMHO, as the saying goes, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery! Just interested to canvas other people's opinions on the matter :wink:

Cheers
ModifiedMadness
Sponsor

Post by ModifiedMadness »

The back of that Lupo looks quality, definately a nice mod.

I would't be really angry if someone copied something I'd done, maybe a bit kind of "oh FFS" at first but then I suppose I'd just carry on or think of something else to be unique again :D
Biddle
Platinum Member

Post by Biddle »

That Lupo looks really good with that, as I aint seen the MK5 Golf boot in the first picture i was thinkin, "where is the handle?" All was revealed in the second picture. As for stealing other people's mods, I think for a lot of people who are not going to be doing any major body modification then what can be done really apart from alloys, lowering, tints, ICE etc but I'd only get P'd off if something that I'd come up with, was being passed off by someone else as their idea, and not giving credit where its due.
Mk2Adam
Platinum Member

Post by Mk2Adam »

Biddle wrote:I'd only get P'd off if something that I'd come up with, was being passed off by someone else as their idea, and not giving credit where its due.
i think this is a good point :wink: i don't think i'd be annoyed if someone copied an original idea of mine as it oviously means they liked your idea which is cool, although i've never had anything stolen so far :lol: must mean all my ideas are crap :D
Biddle
Platinum Member

Post by Biddle »

At least you get ideas mate. I cant think for myself lol :?
DanDiesel
Sponsor

Post by DanDiesel »

this is going to be an interesting topic once we get some more views!!

if someone copies someones idea because they think its cool then i can't see why the original creator would be pissed off!!

modding cars is about trying to be individual and unique! if someone does say 20 mods to their car and one gets copied then i don't see the harm!

i'd be quite proud to have someone copy something of mine and maybe see it start a trend!!

tom's front badge is the perfect example!! although weirdly i haven't seen anyone copy it yet!!
Biddle
Platinum Member

Post by Biddle »

Yeah would be cool, but if you had done it to be original then as soon as someone copies it then your back to square one. I think the key to the good idea is to know when it has run it course. When you start seeing it everywhere you relise the originality is gone. The perfect example of this being the now almost standard with free (fake) burberry hat Corsa B Lexarse lights.
omicron
Gold Member

Post by omicron »

In all honesty, almost all of the originality is gone from car modding anyway.

Get a polo, lower it too far, fit badly proportioned wheels to kill the handing, a big exhaust to at least make it sound powerful, and there you have it, a polo just like everyone elses.
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

DanDiesel wrote:tom's front badge is the perfect example!! although weirdly i haven't seen anyone copy it yet!!
I thought about it but figured he might be a bit upset :P
DubGTI
Bronze Member

Post by DubGTI »

omicron wrote:In all honesty, almost all of the originality is gone from car modding anyway.

Get a polo, lower it too far, fit badly proportioned wheels to kill the handing, a big exhaust to at least make it sound powerful, and there you have it, a polo just like everyone elses.
Cannot agree more, mainstream modded cars are all so generic. Which is why rare cars like the gti are good it's a VW enthusiasts car, if youve got euro rims on nobody knows what they are but they look cool.
Personally i think the polo GTI looks sweet as it is, why spend money fixing something that aint broken.

Dont see why anyone should get mad because you do the same mods :? Lets face it certain mods are THE BEST for a particular car so why have second best just because it's been done before ?
mysteryboy
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by mysteryboy »

Interesting topic...

Not really sure how I'd feel... Probably wouldn't be pleased...

As Biddle said a) It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't try taking credit for it as their own idea b) In an attempt to be unique/different only to have people copying and starting a trend defeats the whole point and all your hard work gone to waste

Someone mentioned Toms badge... I've not seen it before yet it's so simple...so he's obviously sat down and thought about it and sure enough someone will come along and say " Hey Dave, I've got a great Idea... How about painting the vw badge in german colours".... and come show time you start seeing more and more of the same badges on cars and suddenly Toms badge isn't so interesting any more
ModifiedMadness
Sponsor

Post by ModifiedMadness »

Which is why I'm already trying to think of a new idea for next year :wink:
Biddle
Platinum Member

Post by Biddle »

ModifiedMadness wrote:Which is why I'm already trying to think of a new idea for next year :wink:
Thats what I meant by knowing when the idea has run its course. Dont take that the wrong way but the best bit about the badge, apart from how good it looks, is everyones reactions, "whoa that looks awesum" etc but its gonna come to a stage when everyones seen it and its lost its charm. Thats why I think your smart to change it for next year, and to keep things fresh. Sorry to keep using you as an example Tom, but good luck with your ideas for next year.
warrmr
Silver Member

Post by warrmr »

i havnent had a unique idea for my mods yet ( i havent done many)

my only unique idea is a bit crazy and possibly hard work and expencive. but i wouldent be mad if someone beat me to it as i know my goal is about 3 years off as its so expencive so if anyone had the money to go ahead with my idea fair play to them and if they put the itme and effort in to make it work then good on them

now the idea

4wd polo TT

so you take the 4 wheel drive system from the golf 4motion stick it in a mk4 polo shell and you will need the golf gearbox aswell.

then you slap the 20VT out of the TT in there and wire her in with the dash and full TT interiour.

you then stick golf R32 brakes in there. with skoda green calipers.

wheels have some 10" wide wheels on the back and 8" on the front and then mould the wings around them. and most inportanly deck it.

in a few years im gonna attempt it if i fail then i can say i have tryed.
DanDiesel
Sponsor

Post by DanDiesel »

sounds like a mad plan that!!