Newbie - about to buy a Polo

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
sunseaker
New

Newbie - about to buy a Polo

Post by sunseaker »

Hi I am new to Polos and would like to pick some brains.

We are considering buying a 1.2 Polo as a second car (all we can afford as cars are very expensive here in Portugal) and want to know if there are any major known problems we should know about.

I am aware of the sqeaky door seals and rattles in the centre of the dash. Have these now been fixed? Are there any other more major problems?

I noticed that the engine is quite noisy and harsh. I guess it's because it's a 3 cylinder.

Thanks

Gabs
bertJ
Getting There!

Post by bertJ »

:( We would never buy another Polo (after three older ones). Bought new 1.4 tdi in April this year. Gearbox failed at 600 miles, driver's seat broke and couldn't be tipped back at 800 miles. Car off road for three weeks. Severe oil leak at 3,000 miles - still not completely fixed. Still arguing with dealer about noisy door seals. VW customer services and most dealers are rubbish in GB.
There are so many other good small cars around today.
Drove the 1.2 petrol but found it lacking in torque compared to diesel.
If you must buy a Polo don't buy 3 door. Seats are awkward to tip and seat belts difficult to get at.
Scorpio1
Gold Member

Post by Scorpio1 »

Seems there is always a 'Friday' car in the bunch, but have to say that apart from the odd rattle my car has been 100%.

Loads of miles per tank, lots of good performance, and I get a fair few looks at it too.

Bottom line is, there is always one problem or another with most if not all cars and dealers, you only have to look round the net and forums to see that. Even Aston Martins have problems apparently, and they're hand built!

There are also a lot of things you can do to bin the rattles, I.E, foam in the centre console below gear stick (passenger side), adjusting the boot strikers and latch so it doesn't 'cluck' over bumps. Padding out the spare wheel tools (the black box). Putting a little black tape on the glove box catch. The silver button on the handbrake can rattle, tighten that. Lubricating the door seals with rubber lubricant. And the best thing, give the car time to settle down. These all really helped, and all but the rubber care are one off's. I would say get a four cylinder though.
sunseaker
New

Post by sunseaker »

Thanks for the replies.

I would love a four cylinder but it only comes with all extras over here at 21,000 Euros :shock:

I liked the car when I test drove, it felt very solid, its just the 3 cyl engine sounded harsh and noisy and lacked go.
bertJ
Getting There!

Post by bertJ »

Unfortunately newer VW Polos (and VW's in general) have lost their reputation for good reliability. If you do a web search with the words
'Volkswagen Polo reliability' you may be shocked at what you find. For instance, go to
http://www.carsurvey.org/review_43827.html
sbp
Bronze Member

Post by sbp »

bertJ wrote::( We would never buy another Polo (after three older ones). Bought new 1.4 tdi in April this year. Gearbox failed at 600 miles, driver's seat broke and couldn't be tipped back at 800 miles. Car off road for three weeks. Severe oil leak at 3,000 miles - still not completely fixed. Still arguing with dealer about noisy door seals. VW customer services and most dealers are rubbish in GB.
There are so many other good small cars around today.
Drove the 1.2 petrol but found it lacking in torque compared to diesel.
If you must buy a Polo don't buy 3 door. Seats are awkward to tip and seat belts difficult to get at.
joiks :shock: Hope I don't get this on my 1.4tdi. Sofar not even a small problem. Like i am used too from VW
robbiehall
Getting There!

Post by robbiehall »

Also I have to say, no probs in 9000 miles on my 1.4TDI - reverse was hard to get out of for a couple of months, and see my thread about the in-dash CD/dealers, but otherwise........

Cheers
Rob
bertJ
Getting There!

Post by bertJ »

Robbiehall
That was the problem with our 1.4tdi. It wouldn't come out of reverse; sometimes you had to use two hands. Is your dealer aware of the problem? You should perhaps log the fault with them in case you have further problems. It's apparently "a well known fault"!
tdisport
Getting There!

reverse

Post by tdisport »

get it out!

I can't even get mine IN reverse sometimes! Have do put clutch out and in a few times before it will budge.

Gearbox on 1.2 hire car i had was sweet as. Like a knive through butter.

tdisport.
mole
Admin

Post by mole »

I get the problem of not being able to get it in reverse until I put the clutch down and back up. My dad's car is the same (Impreza) and my mums also (307)!
sbp
Bronze Member

Re: reverse

Post by sbp »

tdisport wrote:get it out!

I can't even get mine IN reverse sometimes! Have do put clutch out and in a few times before it will budge.

Gearbox on 1.2 hire car i had was sweet as. Like a knive through butter.

tdisport.
that problem is common among all cars. If it happens again try putting it in to 2nd and then inreverse. Should go right in now...
robbiehall
Getting There!

Post by robbiehall »

Cheers bertj, I was going to mention it to the dealer, but it it's sweet as a nut now.

Rob