Bit of a problem. Possibly gearbox?

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
mk4 glx 1.6
Gold Member

Post by mk4 glx 1.6 »

Sorry to hear that Alun.

Sorry I don't have any suggestions as to what it can be. Having not had a gearbox fail yet, I don't know if that noise is similar. Hopefully, one of the unfortunate owners who has had a gearbox go on them, can chime in. I've only read the noise is of a "whine" - I havent heard the sound of a spitfire mentioned !

As you say it happens over 30mph, does it make the noise in all gears as well as neutral.
Dangerous Dave
Silver Member

Post by Dangerous Dave »

Sounds more like a wheel bearing to me if it is coming from the front corner. The gearbox bearings going are a more high pitched whine
Mouse_GTI
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by Mouse_GTI »

The little things do add up and get to you sometimes. Not sure if it's a wheel bearing. I just got one replaced but there was no sign it was out. Though on my old Fiesta, it used to squeal everytime I turned a certain direction. It was embarassing!

Best taking it down to a good garage to get it checked out, or your local dealer (if they are any good :roll: )
clees
Bronze Member

Post by clees »

I had a scrapping noise in my car a while back, it turned out to be the gearbox bearings! If this is the case you need to get it sorted before it kills your gearbox completely mate.

hope you get it sorted
olop_chris
Sponsor

Post by olop_chris »

I know the feeling Alun, i feel like getting rid of mine in the new year to be honest...

Ive been in a mates fiesta when his wheel bearing has messed up and it sounds like how you described in your first post. But when my gearbox went....the whole engine sounded rough, THEN i heard a whining noise (like a charger) then felt a clunk and stopped....It all happened pretty quick for me though, not over a space of a week or so.
AKs_SlickPolo
Gold Member

Post by AKs_SlickPolo »

Have you noticed this more when going downhill? and is it loudest around 30-40mph then goes away at higher speeds?

If you drive upto the speed or whatever that starts making the noise and clutch down, does the noise go away or is it still there? If it cuts out when clutch is engaged, its more than likely the gearbox, if not sounds like wheel bearing
AKs_SlickPolo
Gold Member

Post by AKs_SlickPolo »

CymruPolo wrote:
@ AKs_SlickPolo: Not noticed more of a sound when going downhill, I've only done one journey in it since the noise started so it would be hard to tell. They noise is there all the time when going over 30mph even when the clutch is down/put in neutral.

So most probably wheel bearing then? And is there any danger in driving with it? (not that I will be this week - I'm getting a lift to and from work)
Yep, That doesnt sound like gearbox, as the noise would also be more central/passenger side and high pitched whine too that cuts off when clutch is depressed.

Sounds like wheel bearing. Like your noise, I seem to have one in my 9N (at the same side) but is quite quiet. It has supposidly started when i had my hub removed when the coilovers were fitted.

As you seem to have had a new hub, it might be related to that - perhaps something not properly fitted, but theres not much there except the wheel bearing.

Ive had mine tested by two garages and the MOT guy, and all say its fine. But i've heard some people still changing a bearing thats not gone and the noise disappears :?

A good way to check is to jack the car up, grasp the wheel at the top and bottom, and try rocking the wheel. Any play would indicate worn bearing. Spinning the wheel will also make you hear the noise too.

Although its not faulty, I'm looking to change my wheel bearing when money allows :lol:

Hope this helps
clees
Bronze Member

Post by clees »

at first i thought the noise was comig from one of my wheels, then i thought it was coming from under the bonnet. Then when driving the car at the time, the noise was more noticable driving in gear, which lead me to think there was something wrong with the gearbox. I took it to a transmission garage who took it for a spin i diagnosed the bearing being the problem.

At the time i just wanted someone to nick my car!!
Mouse_GTI
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by Mouse_GTI »

Condensation pisses me off, especially when I'm taking photographs! I'm total worried about getting my wheel refurbed and that I'll end up with the same problem as you :cry: