Driver Improvement Course

Non-VW related chat - Moderated
mysteryboy
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Driver Improvement Course

Post by mysteryboy »

Has anyone done this course before and what was it like? Any tips?

I've been refered to them by the police for an accident in October for driving without due care but I don't think they have enough evidence to charge me with it and to save a lot of hassle I'm gonna do the course anyways plus I don't want to go court. Just wondering if anyones done it and any feedback?
Would it affect my insurance premium and would I need to notify them about the course?
It's not a conviction so I doubt I need to mention it when taking out insurance in the future?

I'm after serious suggestions and "you shouldn't be driving like an idiot" is not helpful so refrain from posting smartass comments.

Thanks!! :)
bobtknob
Sponsor

Post by bobtknob »

i havent done one but i have been thinking about it
im 18 and have three points already so insurance isnt cheap and i thought that something like this might help!
so i would go for it and then tell us all about it!
omicron
Gold Member

Post by omicron »

No need to tell the insurance as it's not a conviction.

A friend of mine teaches these (ex-traffic sgt) and he says the general consensus is thwey work.

Go for it mate, if nothing else, it's an education.
M@Turner
Platinum Member

Post by M@Turner »

My cousin got done for speeding by a Gatso, but instead of the mandatory £60 fine and 3 points, he got a letter saying that he could pay £120 to take a days course and that would be that!

He said it wasn't particularly good and they teach you like you're 17 again but you don't get 3 points. And from my experience when you tell insurance companies about having 3 points for speeding, your premium goes up £150-£300. :shock: So works out cheaper in the long run.

Mat
mysteryboy

Post by mysteryboy »

Cool, thanks for the input.

It's a 1 and a half day course consisting of day 1: Half a day theory and the other half driving based. And day 2: half a day driving based.

Should be easy surelly? Guess I'll need to brush up on theory based stuff... Don't wanna fail especially after paying £180 for it.

@ omicron - Do you know if when driving I'll need to drive as if Im taking my test (both hands on steering wheel etc), over-use the mirrors or is it all in a more relaxed manner?

Thanks!
Petrified
Sponsor

Post by Petrified »

If yuu're looking for a corse to improve your driving skills and safety on the road do a mac course they are cheap and will set you on the way to and advanced driving award (ROSPA) if you get further lessons and take the test. safer driving, cheaper insurance...

http://www.macridertraining.co.uk/

This is really worth doing imo.

I'm guessing if you think you really are a dangerous driver and really need a top up course then do the other one.
Last edited by Petrified on Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Petrified
Sponsor

Post by Petrified »

defensive driving

This defensive driving course develops a drivers' concentration, observation, anticipation and planning skills so as to prevent accidents; protect the driver from the actions of others and show how to deal with adverse road and weather conditions.

Who will benefit?
companies in support of their road risk strategy and promoting good safety and welfare practices for employees
individuals who wish to improve their driving safety standards as part of their work or private motoring
individuals who have been involved in road accidents, traffic violations or have been identified as high risk by a driver/vehicle skill audit
Objectives of the course:

provide an understanding of the principles and skills of defensive driving
demonstrate and develop a systematic approach to hazards
put those skills into practice
reduce the risk of being in an accident
What's covered?
theory session covering the principles of defensive driving and the Highway Code
pre-drive checks to ensure the vehicle is roadworthy and the functions are familiar to the driver
practical coaching session to develop heightened perception skills and 'system' driving
demonstration drive with commentary
individual driving assessment providing constructive advice and encouragement
discussion of learning points and key areas for development
how human factors (attitude, fatigue etc.) can affect performance
debrief, assessment report and certificate
It gives you a whole new confidence while driving that even if it's not you that makes the mistakes you can still prevent an accident or minimise risk. :P I think everyone should do it.
omicron
Gold Member

Post by omicron »

mysteryboy wrote:Cool, thanks for the input.
@ omicron - Do you know if when driving I'll need to drive as if Im taking my test (both hands on steering wheel etc), over-use the mirrors or is it all in a more relaxed manner?

Thanks!
I'd assume they give you the very basics of advanced training, so you'll be driving properly. I've done my advanced and I won't acknowledge any other way to drive apart from either RoSPA or Police system now.

As for both hands on the wheel, it's generally considerred a good idea, I drive a car which effectively has a close ratio box (Coupe S on a 1.05 5 speed box), and even then, I can't see the need to drive with one hand on the gears, or anywhere else for that matter.
mysteryboy

Post by mysteryboy »

Thanks for the help omicron.

@ Petrified - I don't really have a choice to which course to do, it's either this one or go court and face possibility of paying a fine and having 3 points which is a risk I'm not willing to take. Cheers!
omicron
Gold Member

Post by omicron »

Petrified wrote:If yuu're looking for a corse to improve your driving skills and safety on the road do a mac course they are cheap and will set you on the way to and advanced driving award (ROSPA) if you get further lessons and take the test. safer driving, cheaper insurance...

http://www.macridertraining.co.uk/

This is really worth doing imo.

I'm guessing if you think you really are a dangerous driver and really need a top up course then do the other one.
Or jsut do it with RoSPA for much less. http://www.roada.org.uk/
polo power
Gold Member

Post by polo power »

my company paid for me to go on an advanced driving course.
mysteryboy

Post by mysteryboy »

WOOHOO I Passed!! 8) yeayyy....!! :) :) :D