Speaker sizes

Discuss In Car Entertainment
chronic7001
New

Speaker sizes

Post by chronic7001 »

Hi guys i have a 6N2 GTI and am just wondering the speaker sizes in the front doors and the ones behind the rear quater panels, am in need of an upgrade! cheers.
Ian_R
Gold Member

Post by Ian_R »

Front ones are 17cm i know, not a clue on the rear as i never had any in my car lol i'm sure someone will sort you out with it tho !
Chris_GTI
Sponsor

Speakers

Post by Chris_GTI »

Hi,

As you're going for a speaker upgrade, are you considering upgrading the rest of the system also?

If not, make sure the speakers you choose can run from the standard HU - a lot of aftermarket speakers require more power than is produced from the standard internal amplifier. You may need to either consider using an amplifier from the standard HU, or even replacing the HU, although you may lose the ability to use the CD-Changer.

If you're wanting an upgrade to improve quality, you're better off leaving the rear speakers alone, as the sound should be coming from in front of you, not behind.

One of the problems will be how to find tweeters to fit within the standard sail panels - I had to get mine modified so that the tweeters can poke out.

A good website to read about and discuss this stuff on is www.talkaudio.com

And welcome to the world of Car Audio!

Chris.
Silva_B!tch_Owner
Bronze Member

Post by Silva_B!tch_Owner »

I believe the rears are the same size as the ones at the front. So 17cm.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Ill argue this and say you can fit 16.5s in with no problems whatsoever :P Mine are 16.5s :D
adamvfr
Getting There!

Post by adamvfr »

Yea i was reading on older topics to see what actually fits.
CAD sell adapters for the polo to fit 17cms which i thought was wierd.
If alex has fitted 16.5s then all she be good :D.
Need to order these DLS comps then.
gti_black
Bronze Member

Post by gti_black »

i believe sizes vary a lot. sone claim to have fitted 16cm speakers straight in. others have fitted 16.5cm speakers straight.

i know for a fact mine were 17cm, i then had to buy adaptors from CAD so i could fit 16.5cm in. the description on cad site is wrong. they actually allow fitment of 16.5cm NOT 17cm. those are what i bought.

best way is to remove your door card and measure it up. that way you can be sure. most aftermarket speakers come in a 16.5cm size so bear that in mind.