Opinions on the 1.4 SE

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
AshLeMacq
Bronze Member

Opinions on the 1.4 SE

Post by AshLeMacq »

Ok so I've owned my 1.0E for nearly 4 years now and frankly, I couldn't have asked for a more perfect first car.

That said, I have not treated it as well as I might and it's a bit tatty these days.

So, I'm going to sell it and I'm thinking of replacing it with a 1.4SE.

So I'm looking for opinions on the 1.4 SE.

From what I've seen I can pick up a mint black one with less than 30k on the clock (1 or 2 owners" for less than £4,000.

What are they like to drive? One think I've definately outgrown on mine is that I really would like a faster car, are they nippy?

Would appreciate any opinions on it :).

Ash
Arnoldo
Gold Member

Post by Arnoldo »

Honestly id just pay the extra £500 odd and get a gti. Loads quicker than the 1.4 SE. I have a 1.4 S which has the same engine (75bhp) and altho its a big upgrade from a 1.0 ..........u would soon be disappointed with it.
AshLeMacq
Bronze Member

Post by AshLeMacq »

I see your point but I can get an absolutely mint 1.4 SE, 30k 1 owner (you know the type) for less than 4k.

To get a similar spec GTi you're looking at £5500! And it's probably had the arse thrashed off it! I know it would if it were mine :oops:
Tailor
Bronze Member

Post by Tailor »

For that spec, and the price you can get a 16v 100bhp, which is faster that the SE.
It also has a 1.4 engine, so it will be cheaper on insurance.
The only thing is.. that a good one is rear.
colour_concept
Bronze Member

Post by colour_concept »

a few xtra quid would get u a gti, however you have to consider the insurance premium on it.... a 1.4 would be a lot cheaper insurance wise.

also gti's have a problem with gearboxes. some have never had a problem with theirs, yet others have had their boxes changed mor than once.

specs wise gti is impressive and has the following advantange over the
SE-

125bhp
xenons
climate control (SE model has a/c only)
rx2 wheels
and a few minor differences,

i have a colour concept and have fitted oem xenons afterwards, aftermarket alloys and although it has no climate control the a/c is good enough, seats are heated so winters not a problem. standard engine. it all boils down to what you want from it. im not too bothered with speed hence stuck with a 1.4 as its nippy enough for small roads, good enough for motorways yet reasonable insurance and MPG.

however youve had a 1.0E so a SE would look virtually the same expect a few more gadgets and a little faster. youll probably get bored of it sooner than you think....

maybe another DUB.... golf??
AshLeMacq
Bronze Member

Post by AshLeMacq »

Some great points there, thanks for all the input guys.

I take your point on getting bored of the car but I'm really in no way bored with mine, I just wish it was a bit faster and in better condition!

Is there any obvious way to differentiate between the 75 and 100 bhp models?

What's the diff between the S and the SE?

Anyone got a link to performance specs?
Dee-vub
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by Dee-vub »

colour_concept wrote:a few xtra quid would get u a gti, however you have to consider the insurance premium on it.... a 1.4 would be a lot cheaper insurance wise.

also gti's have a problem with gearboxes. some have never had a problem with theirs, yet others have had their boxes changed mor than once.

specs wise gti is impressive and has the following advantange over the
SE-

125bhp
xenons
climate control (SE model has a/c only)
rx2 wheels
and a few minor differences,

i have a colour concept and have fitted oem xenons afterwards, aftermarket alloys and although it has no climate control the a/c is good enough, seats are heated so winters not a problem. standard engine. it all boils down to what you want from it. im not too bothered with speed hence stuck with a 1.4 as its nippy enough for small roads, good enough for motorways yet reasonable insurance and MPG.

however youve had a 1.0E so a SE would look virtually the same expect a few more gadgets and a little faster. youll probably get bored of it sooner than you think....

maybe another DUB.... golf??
Its not just the GTI's that have the probs with the gearbox.....its the same throughout the range.
Arnoldo
Gold Member

Post by Arnoldo »

AshLeMacq wrote:Some great points there, thanks for all the input guys.

I take your point on getting bored of the car but I'm really in no way bored with mine, I just wish it was a bit faster and in better condition!

Is there any obvious way to differentiate between the 75 and 100 bhp models?

What's the diff between the S and the SE?

Anyone got a link to performance specs?
Think the diff from S to SE is - Sunroof, alloys, fogs,a/c

100 Bhp models say 16v on the front and rear.......the 75bhp models dont
loud
Gold Member

Post by loud »

and the 16v has the gti interior, well my one does anyway, but all in black with some dark grey detail and most importantly minus the go faster 1's on the front seats :lol: