lowering will f*uck up my car :s

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
JoeG07
Gold Member

lowering will f*uck up my car :s

Post by JoeG07 »

well was chatting to this guy earlier thats one of those people that just 'seems to know everything' about cars, and he said lowering is a total hastle not worth doing. He said the steering and brakes would be affected, id need to get the wheels retracked, the wheels would bend inwards, id be looking at changing my tyres every few weeks, and if i ever had a full car it would scrape over every bump. He also said properly lowering the car would cost in excess of £1000. Is there any truth in this? Can i lower my car, problem free, with £60 springs?
ModifiedMadness
Sponsor

Post by ModifiedMadness »

He knows a lot does he :lol:

I've got KW Coilovers on mine which were supplied and fitted by a very reputable VAG company for under £700.

My tyres are fine (I've been lowered since April) my steering doesn't feel affected at all, my tyres don't bend inwards, you do need the tracking and camber looking at but that cost me all of £50 by yet another reputable VAG company.

You may scrape over bumps with a car full depending on how you go over them, I can scrape over bumps if I want but not when I don't.

The only thing it does scrape on is when I'm cornering fast
Ian_R
Gold Member

Re: lowering will f*uck up my car :s

Post by Ian_R »

JoeG07 wrote:well was chatting to this guy earlier thats one of those people that just 'seems to know everything' about cars, and he said lowering is a total hastle not worth doing. He said the steering and brakes would be affected, id need to get the wheels retracked, the wheels would bend inwards, id be looking at changing my tyres every few weeks, and if i ever had a full car it would scrape over every bump. He also said properly lowering the car would cost in excess of £1000. Is there any truth in this? Can i lower my car, problem free, with £60 springs?
lol Thats the funniest thing i've erad in a while mate, Whoever told you all this is talking complete s**t lol ! As Mr Madness has said all the would need looked at is the tracking and camber, and no more than £50 to sort, the rest of the stuff is pish ! £1000 to lower a car, that garage must be making millions i tell you ! and define properly ? any good mechanic can take off and swap suspension, i think you should forget what ever this person has told you, and investigete yourself ! ie talk to a garage you trust about doing the work.
kipper
Platinum Member

Post by kipper »

if he believes he knows everything he knows nothing. i got my car loweder on just springs, only 30mm and im using the original dampers. so yes the wheels will tilt inwards but u can get that sorted at a garage that deals with tracking alignment camber etc. as for tyres lasting a couple of weeks load of bull, when i got my new wheels and tyres the tyres lasted about 18 months befor i had to change the front ones, i dont know if it affects the steering or brakes tho, my steering is affected cause of the alloys which makes it slightly heavier but thats it. the only scraping i get is my back box over bumps if i go to fast. £1000? that must be some damn expensive damper sets for that much.
in answer to your question go for it, it will cost a bit to sort the allignment and camber but not much. £50 or so, depending on where u go. i spent £100 on springs then my godfather fitted them then i got my camber done which was only about £30 or so so it cost me £130 in total, now i need to lower the front more.
kipper
Platinum Member

Post by kipper »

also as Ian R wrote:

any good mechanic can take off and swap suspension, i think you should forget what ever this person has told you, and investigete yourself ! ie talk to a garage you trust about doing the work.

u dont even need to be a mechanic, some mechanical skills are good but u dont have to be a qualified mechanic, my godfather did mine and he aint even a mechanic, he knows a bit about cars tho but he aint a mechanic. easiest thing to do is to get a haynes manual for your car if u wanna try it yourself. migiht take u a while but it will be cheaper then u just get your camber sorted.
where he said abotu investigate your local garage, if u already have the lowering kit, it wont cost u much, only watever labour is prob about 2 hours worth depending if u just got springs or ful kits. full kits you could prb do yourself anyway. a small local garage would probably be quite cheap as long as they dont have a bad reputation. ask around befor u commit.
dragon_green
Gold Member

Post by dragon_green »

get the wheels re-aligned and you won't have any problems with tires pointing in odd directions and therefore wearing out quickly.

the handling will be affected, yes. you're changing the height of CofG, the roll centre and roll rates because by lowering the car you're changing the suspension geometry. but unless you're pushing your car to the limit (which on the road, you shouldn't be), and really know the car inside you won't notice the difference.
JoeG07
Gold Member

Post by JoeG07 »

lol wish i had a godfather who could do this kind of thing! Yeah i'll have a chat with my local guy about it, and i know a bloke in luton whos got one of those backstreet garages where he just makes up the prices as he goes, but they do a good job, my mate got his tracking and a 2nd hand tyre for £30 !
Dee-vub
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by Dee-vub »

The guy you spoke to is a dick! 8)
New B
Bronze Member

Re: lowering will f*uck up my car :s

Post by New B »

JoeG07 wrote:id be looking at changing my tyres every few weeks,
Now I’ve heard it all LOL
R1CH
Platinum Member

Post by R1CH »

what a prick.
JoeG07
Gold Member

Post by JoeG07 »

lol yeah
willriseley
Silver Member

Post by willriseley »

just get it slammed down, id say get coilovers if u can stretch so u have much more adjustment but yes springs and shocks are fine as well, im onto my second car now running 120mm lower than stock and no major problems, yes u have to get the tracking and camber donw but thats no biggy.
JoeG07
Gold Member

Post by JoeG07 »

i think hes one of those guys who knows a little bit, and then makes the rest up to sound like he knows what hes talking about. I thaught it seemed like a load of bull, if it was that much hastle, no one would do it right? Just wanted to double check before i went ahead. So just to doubly confim, If i buy a set of polo 40mm lowering springs, get my reputable garage guy to fit them, get the tracking and camber done, all should be good?

Also.... have u guys told your insurance about lowering? My insurance quoted me a 10% increase to do it, a mate at work was like "nahh dont bother if anything happens just say it came like that you didn't know it wasnt standard." I know if i get it done i really should, but my insurance is through the roof as it is!
daz1245
Getting There!

Post by daz1245 »

foookin hell 1000 quid , i got my shocks n springs for £120 off ebay delivered , n ive had no problems n i did get it tracked after n thats it n i fink steering is improved plus it makes ur seats more bouncy lol ,
ive lowered mine 40mm n ive been over bumps at 30-40 mph n i never scrapy me car

daz