In-Car-Compuer(Complete)-

Discuss In Car Entertainment
polo_dude
Gold Member

Post by polo_dude »

Afarid not nickm, not at the moment i've got a whole 2 weeks of exams soo just focusing on them at the moment. After that everything will be clear to start buying bits and peices.
polo_dude
Gold Member

Post by polo_dude »

Exams are over guys and girls!!. So the prohect will now continue, I'l be now continuing to look for a few good offers on the actual comp it's self and get back to you guys!! :D :D
nickm
New

Post by nickm »

Glad to hear your exams are over Polo Dude! Unfortunatley ive got them next week :evil: so have been revising and havent got much done to the project. But here is a quick update anyway...

Finaly got the 12v power supply on tue but I havent had a chance to test it out yet. Ive installed a program called RoadRunner which is a special peice of software designed for youch screens in carputers. It makes it realy easy to acces all of the items you want to use like movies music GPS ect. and it looks realy profesional too.

I have next w/e off so will get going at installing it. Im intedding to just dump all the components in behind the dash to give it a trial run untill christmas when I can install it properly. Will get some pics up soon!

Polo_dude, good luck with finding all your computer bits! If you need any help, just ask!
polo_dude
Gold Member

Post by polo_dude »

:evil: DARN the bloody exams..haha, nickm did you buy this RoadRunner program or was it free?? I was browsing the MP3CAR Forum the other day which has all these different links to free software

The Link: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/softwar ... -apps.html

However i have moved forward with my the components of the comp and i've so far planned this:

Motherboard
Linitx
VIA Epia PX10000G Pico-ITX Mainboard
Cost: £155.81 inc VAT
http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=11693

Power supply
Linitx
M2-ATX - 160W Intelligent Car PSU
Cost: £52.88 inc VAT
http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=10917

Optical Disk drive
PC World
SONY DWG120A DVD WRITER/REWRITER
Productcode:557708 Cost:£14.97 inc VAT
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/ ... sku=557708

HDD
already have a spare HDD.

RAM
coveredRAM just taken from a laptop i had aswell
polo_dude
Gold Member

Post by polo_dude »

Another change in the plans guys, This putting together a comp is harder than i thought, now the change in plan consists of changing the motherboard which then creates a domino effect and changes everything else. Now the mother board that i was gong to get before was the "PICO Board" being incredible samll insize compramises this by not having audio ports soldered on :evil: .What kind of board has no bloody audio ports on?? :x Just means more fishing out of cash for people!! However there is an input for these places to go but it's just not worth the hassel. Now changing the board means changing the PSU. The propsed PSU that i was going to get was specifically built for Carputers. However that idea has been ditched an i'm going to take advantage of the invertor that i installed therefore i'm going to buy a standard PSU and connect that to the invertor which should power my pc. :)

Now moving to the specs here is as follows:

Motherboard
Linitx
VIA iDOT PC3500G PC-1 Mainboard - 1.5Ghz C7-D
Cost: £57.58 inc VAT
http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=11881

Optical Disk drive
PC World
SONY DWG120A DVD WRITER/REWRITER
Productcode:557708 Cost:£14.97 inc VAT
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/ ... sku=557708

HDD
Already have a spare HDD.

RAM
I have loads of sticks of RAM of the DDR2 DIMM sort

Power supply
Going to visit the local comp spares store, can possible grab one incredible cheaply.

Till any other things pop up this should be what i'll be getting. Touch wood this will work. fingers crossed. :P

Any update nickm?? If possible can you get a few pics up of yuor install please?? :D
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

I hope you saw that the motherboard is "*** Out of stock ***" till next thurs :(

Have you looked at this one:

http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=11227

It reads to be very good!
nickm
New

Post by nickm »

Sorry - no updates.

Polo_Dude, I tried the power invertor route first, but the PSU which I bought wouldnt work from it! While bench testing the computer the max power it drew was 130W. The car power supply which youre looking at (the same one as I have now bought - yet to be tested!) is rated at 160W so it should work fine with my setup. Your setup should draw even less power so the M2 PSU should work fine.

Im hoping to have got some of my uni work done by next W/E giving me some time to play! I intend to do a prototype install to see how it works and fit it neetly at christmas. No major work has been done yet so no pics!

The roadrunner software is free but a pain to setup! I still havnt got mine working properly yet, but its close. Ill post a link to the website when I get time and write some instructions on setting it up.
polo_dude
Gold Member

Post by polo_dude »

alexperkins wrote:I hope you saw that the motherboard is "*** Out of stock ***" till next thurs :(

Have you looked at this one:

http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=11227

It reads to be very good!
HAHA yee alex, ye saw the out of stock only 2 days left. I've waited this long :P :lol: . Once it's up and running i'll give you a shout!!
polo_dude
Gold Member

Post by polo_dude »

that'd be great nick'm it sounds pretty complicated yuo just saying it..haha, well i hopee that the PSU will work perfectly fine!!fingers crossed
nickm
New

Post by nickm »

Well, thought it was about time for a quick update.

Spent some time on the project over the w/e. Had it all running nicely with the PC components in the passenger footwell. This was late saterday when it was dark so decided not to take any pics as I could do that on sunday. At this point I was very pleased with myself.

Sunday mornig came. Bright and early I went to work fitting components into the modified glovebox (well, its just got the back cut off realy). Went to fire it up, and it hung after the motherboard initialisation screen. Eventialy I discovered that I hadnt plugged the P4 power cable into the motherboard(the 4 pin plug with 2 yellow and 2 black wires), so I plugged it in. Unfortunatley Id forgotten to turn the system off so there was a bright flash and some some smoke. Motherboard is now quite dead.

Needless to say I was a 'bit' dissapointed. Im now trying to get hold of a new motherboard in time for christmas. Will keep you updated!
Ian_R
Gold Member

Post by Ian_R »

Any Further News on any of these Projects?
nickm
New

Post by nickm »

Sorry I havent posted in so long but have got exams for uni at the mo so have been revising hard!!! oh - and Ive sold my belovid polo :( . Im now the prowd owner of a red mk3 seat ibiza (which is based on the polo and has the same engine as the mk5 polo)

Over christmas I have been busy building my computer. The computer hardware is now almost complete. I found an old IBM computer case which is designed to be used flat rather than upright like a conventional case. It took a bit of bodging but I eventualy got all of the components to fit. I then covered the case in audio carpet so that it will blend in with the boot. This all runs off of a 12V supply.

I now need to order the screen, install the computer in the boot (of the seat) and connect every thing up - I think this will be harder than it sounds. Once that is done I need to find a way to mount the screen. The interiour of the ibiza is similar to the polo, so you should all understand what I mean when I say I want to mount it in the little hole at the bottom of the central console in the dash. I think this might be a fibreglass jobby (any tips?).

Sorry I cant post any pics at the mo as im at uni and dont have any of the stuff with me to take pics of. Will post some up in 2 weeks time when I return home!

polodude, any progress?
polo_dude
Gold Member

Post by polo_dude »

Affarid Not. I'm having so many exams and coursework deadlines to meet from my last post. So not really done anything at this moment in time. All i need to do is buy a motherboard. Cd Drive is not really nessary install that in anytime have all the other parts from old computers. Like ram, hard disk ect so just really arranging the time is the main problem. However i should be able to get everything sorted in Feb though!!
BratManGTi
Bronze Member

Post by BratManGTi »

personaly bud i would go for the Playstation
its so much eayer to fit and takes less power
i did try running a remote laptop before and that worked so much better than the tower i had in the glove box beofre as it used sooo much power from my yellow top battery
in a very dirty car im sorry
mattyy
Bronze Member

Azentek all the way!

Post by mattyy »

http://www.azentekonline.com/cms/content/view/41/146/

Try this on for a Car computer!

Not bad eh!