Changing bulbs on a fabia...

Forum to discuss the Skoda Fabia
olop_chris
Sponsor

Changing bulbs on a fabia...

Post by olop_chris »

Do you have to take the whole front bumper off??

Or can you do it without that?

Hope someone can help, and kick start this skoda fabia section abit more! :D
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

As a Polo 9N owner, I don't want to be a pain in the bum, but for any action on Polo and Fabia and for that matter currently include Ibiza 6L, the only place to be is Briskoda.net - these guys really worked hard to get a worth while online resource going and it shows by its activity.
Lets face it, VW Polo drivers and owners are the least likely to actually ask REAL questions and do REAL work on their cars out of this group covering the 9N platform. When I needed solutions to my 9N Polo problems the Fabia section on the Briskoda site was the only place to find REAL help. The real pain in the bum is the kreton that destroyed the equivalent Seat forum as that one was really active on the Ibiza 6L. Maybe not the answer you wanted to find but its horses for courses I'm afraid - just check out some of the postings on the 9N Polo section and you'll realise that some people just don't know their car - they don't know about cars in general - now that is getting a bit dangerous - a little knowledge with the well meaning help from others can become a recipe for disaster. Take care!
olop_chris
Sponsor

Post by olop_chris »

Wow man you must have been pretty bored!

Fair play.

Yeah i go on Briskoda to get most of my info for the fabia, however, I thought it would be nice if this place sparked up! Never mind ey :)
DanDiesel
Sponsor

Post by DanDiesel »

Chris, a friend of mine has a fabia 1.9SDi and he had to move/disconnect the battery to change a bulb!
i couldn't believe how little space there is on the passenger side in the engine compartment! i couldn't even get the back of the headlight off to try and get to the headlight bulbs!

i think removing the battery would be easier than taking the bumper off :?
olop_chris
Sponsor

Post by olop_chris »

Cheers Dan, My haynes manual came through yesterday and it also reccomends taking the battery out or removing the whole light.

When i went and had a good look it is so god damn tight in that engine bay its unbelievable! So yeah I will be taking the whole battery out to do the near side light! Great...

Thats sunday all planned out anyways lol :D
DanDiesel
Sponsor

Post by DanDiesel »

yeah taking the battery out is probably the better option as if you remove the light, then the likelihood will be that the light will go in scew-wiff as will need adjusting at a later date!
fatkat87
New

Re: Changing bulbs on a fabia...

Post by fatkat87 »

It is possible to do with out taking any thing out or off it is just very very difficult there is literally just enough space to get fingers in and unclip it and get the bulb out very hard but doable if you are determined!
waveydavey
Sponsor

Post by waveydavey »

It can be done but it is very tricky. Also depends which battery cover you have fitted to your car as one gives a little more room to move around than the other.

I have a mate who managed to change his bulbs on his non-xenon car. I've had four seperate people try on my 06 xenon fitted car all without success. :roll:

Cheers

Dave.
dxg

Post by dxg »

I've never understood why people find this hard - I've changed the passenger bulb (with the battery immediately behind it) in a couple of minutes before.

Maybe I just have child-like hands... That is a workable solution, though, - pay a child to do it - this century's version of the chimneysweep.

On the VRS, though, changing the foglights is a bumper off job. Bit of a nightmare.
waveydavey
Sponsor

Post by waveydavey »

dxg wrote:I've never understood why people find this hard - I've changed the passenger bulb (with the battery immediately behind it) in a couple of minutes before.

Maybe I just have child-like hands... That is a workable solution, though, - pay a child to do it - this century's version of the chimneysweep.

On the VRS, though, changing the foglights is a bumper off job. Bit of a nightmare.

Two things though..... Is your's a xenon equipped car and also what year is it???

At a Briskoda meet a member who had an 05 plate xenon vRS and had changed his sidelights easily couldn't manage it on my 06 plate xenon vRS. The change of design of the battery cover made it more difficult without removing the battery which i didn't want to do. :roll:

Cheers

Dave.
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

2~3 year old one belonging to mumsy, did this without even looking in the manual. Odd because I'm sure I've heard a few VW/Skoda people saying that the more recent models basically require a dealership trip in order to swapthem. Can only assume it's something dealers themselves are putting about to drum up business.

(well... haven't changed it but DID get the headlight bulb out of its home in order to ID it, and then put it back; it was wierd, but doable once you had a good look at it. Have done various of the rear bulbs - you have to take the whole cluster off, bizarre!)