Whining noise from engine compartment

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
Pedro_Hilario
Bronze Member

Post by Pedro_Hilario »

JarnoVWPolo6N wrote:How-to change your alternator belt:

-1) the belt is tightened by a spring on the alternator, use for instance a steel pipe or crow-bar as a lever to push the alternator towards the engine, now the belt will come "free"
-2) take the old belt of and put the new one on
-3) now release the pressure on the alternator and let it "swing" back away from the engine, making it tighten the belt again
-4) no go back inside your house, wash your hands and go to UK-polos.net to leave a messege how easy it was :lol:
Last time i tought something was easy it took me over 1 month to get it right. Remember the brakes ( ok, two weeks for getting all the rights parts, but still!)

Wished i would have come on and read this earlier. Today I got a little work done on the polo and could have checked if the alternator swings with the help of the crowbar without breaking!

But today I got these fitted:

6N2 rears, Love the way it looks.
tomorrow i'm going to hook up the 3breaklight and i'll look at the alternator

Jarno, since you also got a 1.3 (at least on the papers car!) the V belt is 21,36 x 751mm ? I had a look at etka to see what ribbed v belt to buy. Just need confirmation. Because it wouldn't be the first time VW gave me the wrong part.

The whining has to go!
Rolexhulken
New
Drives: MK5 6N2 1.4 16v AUA

Re: Whining noise from engine compartment

Post by Rolexhulken »

Yeah, I have a simillar problem with my one 1.4 16v 2001 model. I bought the car cheap, arround 300 euros(I live in Sweden). I drove it home, no problem. Next day I saw the oil level was low, I put some 5w30 in it. After 5 min oil lamp came on. Replaced oil switch, no luck. Changed oil and filter twice, no luck, additive, no luck. Fitted oil gauge, psi won t go over 4 bar then when it gets warm I have 1 psi at idle. Now I m on my way to replace fuel pump. After a week my crankshaft sensor went f****d and when I opened the air filter..was no air filter, throtle body full of s**t. Now I have like a cranky noise when cold, after warming up it goes away but when I rev it it sounds again. When it was cold outside I had also like white smoke but it has a sport exhaust so I thought that might be the issue. Now it s warmer and I don t have any smoke. No oil in water or other way arround. Plus I have a broken hose wich I don t know where it leads...maybe someone can help as I m gettin tired of this car, I have it for 3 weeks and I m daily under it. It has no oil leaks arround the engine, the only oil I can see it s arround the oil swamp but no leaks, just small drops arround the bolts. This is the hose that I can t find his destination.
Attachments
3A003AFD-0AE5-47BE-984F-5137D97AAB44.jpeg
3A003AFD-0AE5-47BE-984F-5137D97AAB44.jpeg (2 MiB) Viewed 1474 times