gt collectable

Chat about your MKIII (86C) inc GT/G40 Polo
creasegt
New

gt collectable

Post by creasegt »

hi everyone!

i am picking up a volkswagon polo gt collectable on saturday, and i dont know anything about it! its been given to me as a bit of a project!
was just wondering if anybody knew

engine sizes... years...etc

anything at all just to give me a rough idea!

Thanks!
retro
Getting There!

Post by retro »

There are lots of more knowledgeable people than me on here who can fill in the details, but the basic specs are:

1990-1994
1300cc fuel injected engine
75 bhp
creasegt
New

Post by creasegt »

okok thanks, got me quite exited now! anybody know insurance groups etc??
Phoenix
Bronze Member

Post by Phoenix »

dude that doesn't matter

wecome to the forum and enjoy your polo :D

got a good un' to start with anyway
creasegt
New

Post by creasegt »

aye aye boys, picked the beastie up today! and omg wat a shock,
for a start, even though it was a state it was loads better than i expected, i expected a heap of rust but it was quite tidy!

so amist all the green fungus n s**t, there is a charcoal grey gt1.3 thats actually quite tidy.

so picked it up and drivers front wheel was seized, so off with the wheel and freed the brakes, wheel back on and started to tow it with the car!

wheel wouldnt free at all, so we started jerking it, and the bastad front bumper came clean off, and so did the bottom support bar for the rad aswell!

not a good start!

so now ive got a seized gt40 with no front bumper, rad support or rad either lolz

anybody know where i can pick up a cheap bar??
its the one thats held on with 2 13mm bolts on either side??

will post pics up soon!
creasegt
New

Post by creasegt »

jonboy
Getting There!

Post by jonboy »

looks like a good little find, i take it its the rear drums that have siezed? have you tried beating them with a hammer? this normally loosens them off! scrappy is the best place for parts as any mk3 polo will have most of the bits you need as there are very few bits that are unique to the gt
creasegt
New

Post by creasegt »

nope all wheels are free, bar the front drivers side!

quite amazing really,

was going through the car today and i found a full VW dealer service history up to 87,560 miles, which is a very good sign considering on 110,301 miles now!

yer, our local scrappy is a bit s**t! bad bits about livin in the middle of nowhere init:D

any ideas on what the seizure cud be, im thinking the wheel bearings have seized!, hopefully in the hub and bot the gear box!!

was gonna try and get it started, and try driving it, that mite free it up!!
jonboy
Getting There!

Post by jonboy »

get it started, then gently rock the car back and forth using very delicate clutch control, just dont go mental and break anything! have you had the front whell off to see if its anything obvious causing the siezure?
creasegt
New

Post by creasegt »

yer, was planning on, i took the wheel off to free the brakes, so its definatly something beyond that, im hoping that its just a really seized bearing or somthing!

ps

just been told by one of my neighbours(bit of a vw man) that there are only 500 odd charcoal grey gts left in the world! made me quite chuffed!! :D so if u kno of anybody with one, can u send em my way so we can have a chat?

been told to keep it original but ive just bort a k&n Off ebay for 3quid lol!
SpikeyG40

Post by SpikeyG40 »

looks like a good find! cool colour too!

What exactly do you mean by collectable?
creasegt
New

Post by creasegt »

to be honest with you , i was told that it was a collectable, but dunno whether it was??
gave it a wash today n fitted a nice kenwood headunit!

found a patch of rust on the bottom of the passenger door,
the black window thing that sepates the door glass is rusted.
and a lil bit round the filler cap!

all in all not in bad shape!

other thing is:......
the drivers footwell is wet, i think theres a leak somewhere....anybody kno where it could be coming from??

still need to find that rad support if anyones breaking a polo! my local scrappy has nothin in the way of vw's
SpikeyG40

Post by SpikeyG40 »

Hey mate,

never heard of a collectable GT before! and they're certainly not as rare as a G40 but still, they're getting fewer so maybe thats what he meant! My G40 had a "special" sign on the rear quaters when i got it, thought it was a special! no chance! lol

water in the footwell tends to be due to the plastic seal in the door! you'll need to take off the door card and you should see a clear plastic seal! check that out for any holes etc. (basically it keeps the water that runs down the window from getting into the car! i'd check there first!

rust on the bottoms of the doors is fairly common with these! if its unreapairable, you can pick up a new door fairly easily i'd imagine!

when you say the black window thingy, are we talking about the window runner which seperates the quater window with the main door window?

Hope some of that info helps! :wink:
creasegt
New

Post by creasegt »

lol, i kno, the g40 is pretty special!

i had the doorcard off, as i had to repair the door pocket thingy! n thats intact!

i think its coming from the front somehow, as its wet all up behind the pedals aswell, would the rust underneath the battery have something to do with that?

yes, as for that black window thingy, it seperates the front quaterlight windowy thing, with the main window that you can wind down!

the rust on the door isnt to bad, i thing a rub down and touch up is all it needs!

also had a look in the boot, and the sticker is still there, which means that it hasnt had a rear ender! not to bad!!
SpikeyG40

Post by SpikeyG40 »

yeah, rust under the battery is more than likely the problem! also check that the car isn't loosing any antifreeze! if it is, it could be the heat matrix which is under the scuttle cover! (next to the batter) how bad is the rust? rust where the battery goes is not a good thing! i believe it is an MOT failure! i'd see about getting that sorted before you do anything else! have the battery out and see how bad it is! it may need to have the panel replaced!