Oil in the air filter

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
cleggfu
New

Oil in the air filter

Post by cleggfu »

Hello! I purchased my second polo, a mkII sport coupe 1.3 that i plan to lower and make a bit more betterer , and i have found that lots of oil is getting into the air filter. Any one know why this might be? Is it because i may have over filled it with oil? Any hoo, if anyone knows what the heck is going on, please drop me a line.
steveo3002
Silver Member

Post by steveo3002 »

overfilling would cause that..as would serious engine wear
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

On the back of the engine block there's a dome shaped lump of metal, attached to which is a rubber pipe which runs up to the air filter housing. This dome is an oil separator, it's designed to separate oil from gas within the engine block to allow the gas to be fed up to the carburettor and re-burnt. If this separator gets blocked, it doesn't separate the oil and gas effectively and you end up with oil bubbling up through the pipe and clogging the air filter and the carburettor.

It's replaceable, but it's not fun to try to get to it without first removing the engine. A mechanic may be able to do it without going to such extremes, but I know it's not something I'd want to try myself. It's worth doing if you plan to keep the car a long time, otherwise just make sure you regularly replace the air filter and clean the filter housing and the carburettor. May be worth using some flushing oil and regular oil changes, might just clear out the blockage, you never know - not a bad thing to do anyway.

Hope that helps :)
pitman
Getting There!

Post by pitman »

There is a part that looks like a plastic can of the size of cola can that gets fitted in between the rubber hose from the oil separator to the air filter.

It did cost about £15 if I remember right. Somewhere here in this forum was even the part number and some more info. Maybe you'll find it looking for "oil separator" or so.

I got one from the scrap yard as some Polos were fitted with that already. But that one broke internally after a few months so I bought one from the VAG dealer.

Does its job well, almost no oil coming through when driving like a civilised person.
steveo3002
Silver Member

Post by steveo3002 »

mine used to get oil in the airbox...i fitted a 90deg bend at the mushroom thing and then a length of hose directed under the car (or you could point it in a can) that way the airfilter stays clean
Tusta
New

Re: Oil in the air filter

Post by Tusta »

I have noticed that there is oil in the air cleaner and housing,maybe this is due to having to much oil in the engine and it is being forced up to the air cleaner and causing the carb to foul up ,maybe someone could advise me about this.
Should i get a rebuild carb or what?
Thanx Tusta
Tusta
New

Hatch won`t open

Post by Tusta »

Hi there somebody.
The hatch on my daughters 84 Polo doesn`t open and i have tried from the inside but no luck as there are no nuts and bolts there to loosen it,the Haynes manual tells us to open the door to remove the lock,but the lock is jammed even though i`ve sprayed enuff WD40 on it ......................................HELP!