cutting out

Chat about your MKIII (86C) inc GT/G40 Polo
Shugeed
New

cutting out

Post by Shugeed »

hey guys, got a prob with the polo, the other night i was taking my bro back from the pub and the polo just cut out, well not cut out, the engine was still running but i had my foot flat on the accel pedal and it was doing nothing, now i was doing about 40 when it happened and it kept rolling till i was doing about 10 mph then it suddenly picked up again and felt fine.

myself and the father were looking at it, and he thought it wasn't getting a spark so he took the HT lead off shoved a screwdriver in it and put in on the cam cover, no spark, so we took a spark plug out and tried the same thing, no spark, BUT turning the key back after turning the engine over it go a spark, and after that is suddenly burst into life, without a sparkplug so it was running on 3 cylenders.

is this the distributor and rotor arm or the coil pack ?
Chally_Rai
Sponsor

Post by Chally_Rai »

I'm not going to pretend I know what I am talking about, but mine used to do something similar until one day it didn't pick up again and died....it was the ignition coil :D

Even I could fix it :)

Saying that I do not have a clue what your 2nd paragraph meant....all I know is mine used to start slowing right down even with your foot on full throttle, you'd change down and down gears to not much avail and then it would spring back into life...until the one day it didn't! My next door neighbour poked around under the bonnet with various measuring devices and found it was the ignition coil, which I changed and I've not had the problem since!

Ahem.

:oops:
Shugeed
New

Post by Shugeed »

ok, thanks alot mate :) just about to go change it