Lots of pictures of MKII Breadvan

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
volksangyl
New

Lots of pictures of MKII Breadvan

Post by volksangyl »

I'm modifying my MKII but in an unconventional way. It's a sort-of-restoration with mild modification. The interior has suffered enormous sun-fade which, due to the hours I put in, irritated me a lot. The boot and headlining are the only bits that don't need redoing, so it gives me an excuse to try my hand at button and pleat work, shouldn't be too hard.

I've only just got back to work on the car after an hiatus of some time, and it feels good to be able to sort out all of the cosmetic work I'd barely even started again.

Image The worst bit of bodywork under the battery tray before...

Image and after welding. The only other rust trap was the rear inner wheel arch and today I found that the rear valance where it meets the petrol tank also traps crud. Angle grinder to that I think.

Image original Wolfsburg steering wheel, beep beep!

Image that red strip will go aluminium silver later

Image red brocade, black pinstripe, plush red carpets... yeah, I'm like that

Image This boot was surprisingly comfortable after I'd retrimmed it

Comments welcome, I know he won't be everyone's cup of tea.

P.S. if the pictures don't work, it's my server playing up. It's been good lately so it shouldn't be a problem.
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Interior's very interesting! What else do you have planned?
volksangyl
New

Post by volksangyl »

Tim_GTi wrote:Interior's very interesting! What else do you have planned?
I've got a few things planned, namely a slight change in colour scheme. Irritatingly, the fabric I used for the interior wasn't as sun-fade resistant as I thought and is now almost white on top so it almost all needs redoing.

I've got to get hold of some good sun-proof black and red so that I can retrim the seats and door cards in a similar pattern but with buttoning and pleating or perhaps even traditional tuck-and-roll. Bottom half of the dashboard and the interior mirror are getting resprayed red to match the interior properly and I'm considering putting footwell lights in to come on when the door opens.

On the outside I've got to resmooth the driver's side rear arch and I'm part way through smoothing the bumpers. Boot will get smoothed too with the number plate being moved down onto the back bumper that I'm modifying to match the front bumper.

Got to repaint the wheels and I might put whitewall tyres on, I'm not decided on that yet. Oh, and I have to repaint the car since the paintwork is shockingly bad since I did it in a rush.
kentskinhead
Getting There!

Post by kentskinhead »

have you got any more pic's yet? interested to see hows it's coming along
volksangyl
New

Post by volksangyl »

kentskinhead wrote:have you got any more pic's yet? interested to see hows it's coming along
Not yet, there's nothing new to show since I've been doing some invisible work, as you do. As soon as the weather brightens up I'll be able to get the bumpers finished though, can't use the fibreglass stuff indoors, it stinks to high heaven.