Airbag controller not found

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
polo_gti21
Silver Member

Re: Airbag controller not found

Post by polo_gti21 »

fella if i think what you have done its gonna cost ya some cash, i used a non registered version of vag com to clear my airbag light and ended up having to buy a new controller unit because it sends a bug into the unit which comes up error code 65535 which cannot be removed so for a £15 lead off ebay cost me just under £400 to remove the airbag light. check out the link the polos airbag unit is the same code as the golf mentioned
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/vw_issues.html
weirdbeardmt
Getting There!

Post by weirdbeardmt »

polo_gti21 wrote:fella if i think what you have done its gonna cost ya some cash, i used a non registered version of vag com to clear my airbag light and ended up having to buy a new controller unit because it sends a bug into the unit which comes up error code 65535 which cannot be removed so for a £15 lead off ebay cost me just under £400 to remove the airbag light. check out the link the polos airbag unit is the same code as the golf mentioned
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/vw_issues.html
Whilst i really hope that isn't the case, if it is the cause, then it wasn't me - it was the damn garage! The airbag light only appeared after they serviced it.
polo_gti21
Silver Member

Post by polo_gti21 »

thats funny cos they wouldn't need to disconnect any of the airbags connections to service your car or to even run a test to reset the service indicator on the dash as thats done by holding the mileage reset button, best bet is to pop it into your nearest VW garage to get the to run a test and get a print out of the problem and throw in the garages face if its coming up that error code.
Bepe
Platinum Member

Post by Bepe »

i wounder what would happen if you disconected the airbag module??
polo_gti21
Silver Member

Post by polo_gti21 »

what to reset it Bepe? it wont clear the light if a unregistered version has been run on the airbag controller unit its damaged it, trust me ive tried everything possible to try and not buy a new unit.
Bepe
Platinum Member

Post by Bepe »

no, just to get rid of the light, ive just spoke to my mate, he said if it dont respond then a new module is needed
weirdbeardmt
Getting There!

Post by weirdbeardmt »

polo_gti21 wrote:thats funny cos they wouldn't need to disconnect any of the airbags connections to service your car or to even run a test to reset the service indicator on the dash as thats done by holding the mileage reset button
can this fault only be caused by scanning for the airbags with a dodgy copy? like you said, why would they have needed to do this in the first place?

what's more when i took it back, with the light on... they apparently did manage to reset it and the light went off. however, when i picked the car up the light was still on. to be honesy i'm annoyed about the whole thing.

at this point in time, i don't really care about "fixing it" - like replacing the module or whatever - provided there's no other ramifications (other than no airbags) then i'd just like to turn the ruddy light off!

it's not worth spending £400+ for a new controller... car only cost £1900!
polo_gti21
Silver Member

Post by polo_gti21 »

I know how you feel your best off going to be get a diagnostic test from vw and gonig from there because if that code appears the only way to get shot of the light is a new unit. It might not even be the problem.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Ill type it one last time lol A nonregistered copy of Vag com makes absolutely no difference to scanning the airbag controller.

Registered or not, its pot luck if you will be able to scan your airbag controller safely. If you are not using 409.1, there is no safeguard against damage, as certain versions will keep trying to connect to the airbag controller and fry it.

As well as this, the airbag controller fitted to the 6n2 Polo is the module that superseeded the one with the 'bug' which causes this.
weirdbeardmt
Getting There!

Post by weirdbeardmt »

alexperkins wrote:Ill type it one last time lol A nonregistered copy of Vag com makes absolutely no difference to scanning the airbag controller.

Registered or not, its pot luck if you will be able to scan your airbag controller safely. If you are not using 409.1, there is no safeguard against damage, as certain versions will keep trying to connect to the airbag controller and fry it.

As well as this, the airbag controller fitted to the 6n2 Polo is the module that superseeded the one with the 'bug' which causes this.
OK, so what's the next step? The local VW garage here a bunch of cowboys and I'd rather not take it to them for a diagnostic if I can avoid it!
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

It needs to be diagnosed by a reputable garage who have the proper testing equipment. If the controller is gone, you will need a new one of a scrapped polo, or you will need to buy a brand new one and get it fitted.
weirdbeardmt
Getting There!

Post by weirdbeardmt »

Does anyone know the part no so I can start looking around for a new one? Or anyone know of a car that's breaking that would have one? Also, am I right in thinking it's the same controller in the 6n2 which has had the bug fixed? Any advice on where to get one from?

It might seem a bit drastic, but the local VW shop are proper cowboys - I don't feel like taking it to them and so replacing the controller might be the easiest option, I assume, although fiddly to get to, it's just a case (ish) of a swap out which I can do.

Cheers.
scotspie501
Getting There!
Drives: 2002

Post by scotspie501 »

Hi All

My sons airbag light came on and I have vag com and a code reader but it cant read the airbag controller

woud anyone have a idea where to start looking please