Economy

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Economy

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Can I just check roughly how many mpg most people get from a 1043cc mk2? I'm averaging 34mpg at the moment.. I have fuel savers fitted, plenty of oil, no known problems with the engine, and although I don't potter along like an old lady I don't have a heavy right foot by any means.. I'm just wondering if I should be getting any more than this, or if this is fine considering that it's a pretty old car?
optima21
Sponsor

Post by optima21 »

well I get a bit over 40 in my 1L mk2, but it as much as anything your mileage depends on your driving style
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

It's pretty low mileage really.. about 78,000 miles, and from what I can gather it's been pretty much pampered all it's life. I'm getting a bit confused about what's going wrong here really.
bstardchild

Post by bstardchild »

optima21 wrote:well I get a bit over 40 in my 1L mk2, but it as much as anything your mileage depends on your driving style
MKII 1.3 Coupe S From 31K to 181K averaged never less than 41.3 and overal 44.1 - if that helps?
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Ta.. all helping me to see that I have something wrong here :)

181,000 miles.. very impressive. Must have taken a fair amount of work to keep it going...
bstardchild

Post by bstardchild »

GroovyCarrot wrote:Ta.. all helping me to see that I have something wrong here :)
OK probably gonna get flamed for the following but nearly 40 and having maintained my own car all my driving life I'll give you a few pointers

Go for the basics first - Excess fuel consumption has to be as a result of

- Poor tune engine
- Lack of air
- Excess of fuel or leaks
- Drag (general tips to optimise fuel consumption)

So

Engine Tune

New plugs (gapped correctly) - and check the resistance of the HT leads
Oil and filter change (seriously if the oil is clean and fresh it will make a difference - plus your engine will last longer) - correctly adjusted tappets help the engine breathe too

Lack of air

Air filter new one not a blow over with an air line as thats never going to unblock the pores in the paper and at the end of the day it's only a couple of quid for a new one

Check the hoses to the preheat intake and that the thermostic flap works so it isn't always sucking hot air from around the manifold

Excess Fuel

Really revolves around the carb but don't ignore the obvious if it's leaaking anywhere its dangerous and it isn't being put to good use and its being measured as used if you are monitoring your fuel consumption

Don't forget insufficient supply will also cause excess fuel consumption - I know that sounds daft but weak mixtures equal poor power so the car is driven harder to compensate - change your fuel filter and thats another one ruled out

Drag

OK so a roofrack is handy but if it's fitted and not utilised everyday it'll knock a few mpg down

Tyre pressures - don't laugh - how often do you check them - they will wear out quicker and unevenly as well as create a lot of drag if down on pressure - that drag is paid for at the pumps. Same applies for big hoops with wider tyres it all provides resistance to rolling. Every brand of tyre has a happy pressure - not always the manufactures settings - monitor the wear when you put new tyres on and if it';s wearing on the edges - underinflated so increase the pressure a bit to check the wear - reverse is true if the centres start wearing faster drop the pressure a little bit

And don't forget the brakes - if they are binding then its all resistance to be overcome - jack a corner at a time and spin the wheels - apply the brake briefly and spin em again after release just to make sure they aren't being a little tardy in releasing - don't forget the hanbrake too.

Check your front wheel alignment too if its out it'll wear the tyres and cause additional drag leading to poor mpg

JM2pW
bstardchild

Post by bstardchild »

GroovyCarrot wrote:181,000 miles.. very impressive. Must have taken a fair amount of work to keep it going...
It's done 185K now and nope apart from a head gasket at 100K it's just been tyres (a lot) brakes (fair amount) oils (gallons with a change every 3K) and filters plus 2 exhaust systems. Still clocks over a ton when floored and embarases the odd Saxo on the twisties - remember a fast car is no substitute for experience. It's done a great job keeping the miles of my other toys and the M.Falcon which is my main summer drive
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Thanks for all that advice.. there are areas you went over that I've very concious of, but I admit that most of it I haven't even checked :oops: The car's got it's first decent length drive coming up this weekend (taking it to pembroke from around cambridge), so I'll see if I can take a look at that lot by the weekend, and hope that I can squeeze a bit more out of it for my petrol money :)
bstardchild

Post by bstardchild »

GroovyCarrot wrote:Thanks for all that advice.. there are areas you went over that I've very concious of, but I admit that most of it I haven't even checked :oops: The car's got it's first decent length drive coming up this weekend (taking it to pembroke from around cambridge), so I'll see if I can take a look at that lot by the weekend, and hope that I can squeeze a bit more out of it for my petrol money :)
No worries on the advice front - not much of the stuff to check requires real effort - Hell stick the wheels straight and look at it for wheel alignment and it'll show if its too bad - rest is just a bit of work with a jack/torch kitchen towl for fuel leaks and a garage with free air!!!!

One more thing - a coat of wax and a jet wash of all the mud under the arches - improves things - slippery surface so when it rains the water doesn't stick to the paint and add weight and the mud under the arches just cultivate rot and add to the weight and it all takes fuel - I'll get me coat :oops:
Phoenix
Bronze Member

Post by Phoenix »

this might be a stupid question and i wait for the stupid answer if it is, but you mentioned tappits? i thought they were hydraulic (sp?) self adjusting :?
optima21
Sponsor

Post by optima21 »

Phoenix wrote:this might be a stupid question and i wait for the stupid answer if it is, but you mentioned tappits? i thought they were hydraulic (sp?) self adjusting :?
yeah they changed in 1985 from mechanical heads to hydraulic. at that time they also change from contact breakers in the ignition to using electronic ignition
bstardchild

Post by bstardchild »

Phoenix wrote:this might be a stupid question and i wait for the stupid answer if it is, but you mentioned tappits? i thought they were hydraulic (sp?) self adjusting :?
Hi - it was all written in general terms - I believe newer engines have hydraulic tappets (haven't had the cover of my 6n yet but will do next service.

The MKII definately has adjustment facilty on the cam followers.....

Sorry if I didn't specify this but the thread was under the MKII heading.
Phoenix
Bronze Member

Post by Phoenix »

:? any one know how to adjust them i thought they were self adjusting :(
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

I've checked everything you mentioned apart from the tappets, which to be honest I don't have much of a clue about, but I've changed both the air filter and the spark plugs and I've just got 38mpg out of it with two people and a load of heavy gear at 70mph driving over to wales, so I think it's sroted :) Thanks again for your advice.
bstardchild

Post by bstardchild »

GroovyCarrot wrote:I've checked everything you mentioned apart from the tappets, which to be honest I don't have much of a clue about, but I've changed both the air filter and the spark plugs and I've just got 38mpg out of it with two people and a load of heavy gear at 70mph driving over to wales, so I think it's sroted :) Thanks again for your advice.
The little things make a big difference sometimes, if you are driving long distances at 70mph loaded up with gear a few psi extra in the tyres helps a bit too - the hanbook will give you a clue but midway between normal and max will yield 1 or 2mpg improvement and keep the tyres cooler too....... I'll definately get me coat :oops: