Auto folding door mirrors

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
Karson3270
Silver Member

Re: Auto folding door mirrors

Post by Karson3270 »

Thanks for the info K.I.T.T. I've had a deeper search into stuff again and I've decided to scrap the idea.

But what I do like, is the puddle lights. Apparently, the Skoda Octavia wing mirrors are idenctical to our Polos? Who knows, but I found this guide anyways:

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/ ... GCrmVKYMgw

It's in german so I can only just make out from translations what to do. I think I'm gonna look closer into doing this and may be even set up a guide myself in English :D

***EDIT*** Sorry just realised. New link posted.
Last edited by Karson3270 on Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member
Drives: Bicycle

Post by K.I.T.T. »

Think you posted the wrong link mate, those are for lit up door handles (which look a bit tacky imo).

Ash :)
StringsOnFire
New

Post by StringsOnFire »

So has anyone upgraded their mirrors yet? Or does anyone have any more information? You can get the whole electric folding heated mirror unit for £30 on ebay by a 3rd party, so that's £60 for both. The switch in the car for about £10, so far making £70. My car has electric heated mirrors, but they fold manually. So can anyone help with the upgrade?

Thanks!
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member

Post by K.I.T.T. »

It's not as simple as that. You'll also need the window motor/regulator mechanisms from a polo / ibiza / fabia which had folding mirrors as standard. Good luck finding a set for a decent price (if at all) :(

Ash
v896
Bronze Member

Post by v896 »

Anyone know the wiring parts i need to get ? i.e the harness and interior switch part numbers?
v896
Bronze Member

Post by v896 »

https://www.youtube*.com/user/salvyx87#p/u/0/RxqIyzoAGyQ

this guy has it as a standard in his car? was it an optional extra?
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member

Post by K.I.T.T. »

v896 wrote:https://www.youtube*.com/user/salvyx87#p/u/0/RxqIyzoAGyQ

this guy has it as a standard in his car? was it an optional extra?
Yes, it's just an absolute pain in the arse to retrofit. I might try doing it one day when I'm bored :mrgreen:

Ash :)
v896
Bronze Member

Post by v896 »

does anyone know what the part numbers are from researching
i've been told need a audi 361 relay module and the interior switch and the folding mirrors from a skoda octiva rs i'm going to speak with a technician tomorrow is this right any help please?
londonvw
Getting There!

Post by londonvw »

what did he say?
v896
Bronze Member

Post by v896 »

well he said that need new window regulators aswell as they are linked with the loop the rolls the window up when you lock the car goes cost £1000 to fit as he has to re-wire the windows and the mirrors but he said includes parts and labour takes about 4 hours
londonvw
Getting There!

Post by londonvw »

ouch!
v896
Bronze Member

Post by v896 »

I know but i'm gonna do it next year he said that if i get a DIS package ( Drivers infomation system fitted aswell for £1500

look like this

http://poollretrofits.com/fiscon_bluetooth_vw_rcd550

but down side is take up to 9 hours to fit all the stuff including parts and labour i don't think it's that bad considering i spent £300 on mirror replacements the last year since i had my 9n3 i don't even park in idiot places people attack my drivers side mirror been hacked off twice i'll just spend the money and run the car till gives up on me
blazeguarder
Gold Member

Post by blazeguarder »

It seems from this thread that it isn't a fundamentally difficult thing to do once you have all of the parts/tools required. The issue is getting all the kit for a decent price and having a general idea of the wiring diagrams.

FWIW, I think paying £1000 for it is daft. If your mirrors are folded in and are being smashed off then replacing them with electric motors is just going to make replacing them cost more as well.

With regards to fitting the clocks with the DIS, this isn't necessarily a difficult job either. There are several guides on the web available. Again, the issue is finding parts/coding the new cluster. It's hard to find a DIS cluster for a decent price (if at all) and it needs programming for the immobiliser/mileage, which is something that you can't do with VAGCOM I think?

And it'll actually look like this:

The missing bit at the top is mainly the radio information, which the standard RCD200 can't provide, so it'll be blank most of the time. Also shows the fuel warning icon in that area as well. If you don't have an external temperature gauge (only on cars with climatronic/onboard computers in the clock) then this will need to be retrofitted as well for the temp function to work.
v896
Bronze Member

Post by v896 »

if you could send me a PM or a post a guide it would be greatly appreciated
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member

Post by K.I.T.T. »

You need vagtacho or something similar to do it. The info's out there on Google, it's just a matter of searching for it. Is full FIS pretty? Yes. Is it worth £1000. Well, that's for you to decide. I'd rather spend the money under the bonnet or on some wheels. The stock MFD in the rev counter gives you all the info anyway. FIS just makes it look more pretty.

And £300 for stock mirror replacements? I've been researching the electrically folding mirrors, and the mirrors themselves cost about £120 a side (from VW). They can be made to work with just the Audi 361 relay, without changing the window regulators. Once I've figured out the wiring (just need to find out where to get the "SAFE" signal from the CCM), I think it'd cost less than £200 all in for parts if you look hard enough.

Ash