High Revs after cleaning throttle body.

Chat about your MKIII (86C) inc GT/G40 Polo
stuball2
New

High Revs after cleaning throttle body.

Post by stuball2 »

Hi all,

I just cleaned out the throttle body on a 98 Polo 1.4CL using carb cleaner.
Now the car idles at 1000/1100 revs (previously about 800). When driving every time I push the clutch down to change gear the revs fly up 200-300 revs.
When I push the clutch down when coming to a stop the revs fly up by 200-300 and then it settles between 1500-1800 revs for about 7 seconds before gradually dropping to the 1000/1100 mark, where it stays.

I have searched for the issue and not found anything exactly the same, but I have read some bits about resetting the throttle body alignment with a vag-com, a throttle position sensor or an coolant temerature sensor? I don't have a vag-com so hoping it isn't that!

Any ideas?

Thanks,
stuball2
New

Re: High Revs after cleaning throttle body.

Post by stuball2 »

Just an update in case anyone else is having the same issue, after speaking to someone they advised to leave the car running on idle for 10 minutes and then take it for a 20 minute drive.
Whilst leaving it on idle the revs slowly went down from about 1050 revs to about 820, it seemed alot better then when driving, it is still running a bit high but settles down a lot quicker when you push the clutch down and drops down to 1000 almost straight away.

So fingers crossed it might sort itself out, if anyone knows that it isn't going to sort itself out please let me know.

Cheers.