Front wiper arms damaging bonnet.

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
col.guile
New

Front wiper arms damaging bonnet.

Post by col.guile »

Like the header says, today I had to remove some debris from under the wiper blades and while lifting the arm up on the driver side it took the paint off the edge of the top of the bonnet. The wiper arm sits so low at the bottom of the screen that to get it up to change it or clean the blade can scrape the edge :( Didn't realise this till I'd done it, so I recommend trying to turn on the wiper then shut the engine off and get them to sit up straight before attempting a change or clean. I need to a paint pen/touchup :( Another thing I've just noticed is the fitting is non standard? Seems to be press the top bit to release the blade part so these will be more expensive than 'standard' wipers?
jimbo_tdi
Bronze Member

Re: Front wiper arms damaging bonnet.

Post by jimbo_tdi »

The wipers have a 'service position' so you can pull them up. You meed to make sure the bonnets closed, turn the ignition on and then off, then push the wiper stalk down an the wipers will go into the service position. It's also recommended to put them in to this position at night when there's snow or ice. With regards to the push button wipers, I wouldn't say they're necessarily more expensive because VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda and Ford use them so there will be lots of suppliers to buy from :)
trigg123
Getting There!

Post by trigg123 »

bosch ones are fine,any motor factor or halfords should have them or good old flea bay,just make sure you have the right fitment
PogoCT
Getting There!

Post by PogoCT »

Have exactly the same problem.... i noticed it oneday when i was inside cleaning the car and realised that the wiper arm damaged the paint, so i hastfully touched it up, but then noticed as i used the wipers it caused the same issue so yeahif you were thinking it is only your car or country specific - South Africa got that issue as well :lol:
col.guile
New

Post by col.guile »

Thanks for the tip on the service mode :) Can't remember reading about this in owners manual, are there any other maintenance tips?
Paul87
New

Post by Paul87 »

it does say in the manual how to put the wipers into the service position. They probably under the bonnet slightly to reduce the aerodynamic drag. The manual even specifies the VW part number for the windscreen wash you should use.
Grey_Polo
Bronze Member

Post by Grey_Polo »

The wipers are also different length (left and right) on the Polo...
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Post by vc-10 »

They are the same on the Golf 5 & 6. It's for aerodynamics, looks (kept nicely out of the way) and for pedestrian impacts (hitting your head on a wiper spindle can do serious damage). Previous Polos (the 9n) have had them hidden, but not quite as much as on the Golfs and the 6r, so haven't had the service mode thing.