Polo Blue GT - hill hold,brakes, start stop

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
gt_lock
New

Polo Blue GT - hill hold,brakes, start stop

Post by gt_lock »

Just wanted to check if anyone else is experiencing loud noise(s) from the brakes of their new polo blue GT. Have had mine just over 2 weeks (3 dr- as i like the sleeker sportier look- blue silk ( so nice after coming from white cars) -DSG-wanted the RNS315 but went with RCD310 when i realised dab and bluetooth weren't included with the RNS315, plus heard they only update the maps once every 2 years!) and while i am very happy with the car in general (nice and nippy too) , I have been noticing that when i stop on a hill (which is every time i leave my home and return) when moving off, the brakes make that low cranking noise which i am familiar with from most cars when they have just been washed or encountered a lot of rain. However this is happening every time( when dry). Perhaps i need to let them wear in a bit? my previous SE did it on occasion but not like this, and because this is my first polo with DSG ( i went with that due to being in a lot of slow congestion traffic driving / M25 and have an ongoing issue with my left ankle which the DSG has taken the relief off from where constant use of the clutch used to irritate- and the DSG is great fun to use with the paddles also) I am unsure as to whether it is something i am doing - but noticed there is a delay with taking my foot off the brake after engaging into a new gear (R or D from P- i was told never to use N as that can cause burn out??) then when i feel the car releasing the noise comes and then the car moves off. But every time? I realise the hill hold may be causing this? i have tried combinations of differing pressure applied to the accelerator after releasing the brake with no improvement, or sometimes no accelerator at all and letting it move off on its own and it still happens. Changing the order of using the handbrake, so releasing that first, or after the foot brake, or at the same time.. no difference. I turn the start stop off almost every time i get in the car as that is annoying when you are on a hill and going in and out the car to open and close an old driveway gate. I also find it really annoying when coming to roundabouts or junctions as in DSG you can get into kick down quite easily if you need to move quickly from it and it can be quite a jerky experience.
Anyway, any ideas anyone why this noise is so obvious? not a great look when neighbours see a shiny new car and then it cranks out this noise when setting off...... any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks
Stiggy
Getting There!

Re: Polo Blue GT - hill hold,brakes, start stop

Post by Stiggy »

The brake noises you describe sound quite normal for an automatic. I have a GTI with DSG (of course) it makes the same kind of noises. The 'hill hold' is all but silent though.

My next car is a new A3 auto with the same engine as the Polo GT. I'm sure it will take some time to get used to start/stop too!
b0rk
New

Post by b0rk »

Should be silent do the discs seem dirty or rusted? Is this a low pitched rumble come grinding sound or a high pitched squeal? Rumbles are generally ware or abrasion, squeals are metal to metal binding.

You know you don't need to use the handbrake for manoeuvring with DSG, footbrake when in drive is all you need. Hill hold will prevent roll back when you release the foot brake to set off from rest and the box automatically shifts into neutral when stopped to prevent ware on the clutches.

If you stop and get out then obviously the car should be in park and handbrake on but otherwise D + footbrake.
gt_lock
New

Post by gt_lock »

I am going to ask the dealer to take a look, as last night was silly when i was driving.. it happened every time i used the footbrake. Applied the footbrake when coming to a halt, and then release to move off... and there it was. Not even when on slight slopes.

So yes as you pointed out Stiggy, about the hill hold and that it should be silent, it leads me to think this may play a part in it.

b0rk - no the brakes aren't dirty or rusted- sparkling clean and for a 2 week old car seems as something is amiss? The noise is a low dragging/cranking sound and then follows to a higher 'sticking' sound on moving off. Sometime it is really loud (usually when road is not level) and other times (when level) it happens for a second or so. Yep only using handbrake on hills or when coming to a complete stop to switch off. I do put it park when i am sitting for long periods at a traffic jam, or lights. maybe i should change this? i guess i am used to setting my foot off the footbrake, coming from a manual applying the handbrake and engaging in neutral. i feel like sitting on the footbrake for long periods at lights etc, just feels wrong. But as you say b0rk
the box automatically shifts into neutral when stopped to prevent ware on the clutches.
- then this is what i must realise.

I get thrown off by the start stop at times. When you come to a stop and you have start/stop on, so it then stops when you apply footbrake and in D - if you realise you are going to be sitting for a while and then move it into P, this obviously starts the car up again momentarily, and then say traffic ends up moving off quicker than you had anticipated, you take it from P (starts up again) back to D and there can be a delay when wanting to move off quickly. On one occasion it let me down and asked me to start the engine manually?! So unless i am trawling along in slow traffic with just my foot on the brake and in D I am not really enjoying the quirks of start/stop...so have it off mainly, however practice and all that. I did notice that if you make gear selections very quickly i.e when coming to a stop and swiftly moving into another gear mode, it doesn't give the start/stop time to engage and then will act upon what you have put it in, but if you are in a relaxed mood :) then it can interrupt your flow so to speak. Also if you press the footbrake very lightly start/stop won't engage. so defo something to adjust to!
mattymdm
Bronze Member

Post by mattymdm »

The DSG box is sold by a sales executive as a automatic box buts its far from that. Technically inside its just a manual box with clutches and gears, The slight delay you are getting when accelerating is normal this is the box just getting a biting point to get a smooth drive away (just like driving a manual). And the creak when setting off is fine for the DSG box as its just the hillhold stopping you from rolling back.
b0rk
New

Post by b0rk »

gt_lock wrote:The noise is a low dragging/cranking sound and then follows to a higher 'sticking' sound on moving off. Sometime it is really loud (usually when road is not level) and other times (when level) it happens for a second or so. Yep only using handbrake on hills or when coming to a complete stop to switch off.
Sounds like the pad is binding in the calliper, removal and refit may solve this or application of copper slip to the sides (not the back) which may not have been done in the factory.

As explained by mattymdm DSG is a just clever manual box so shifting into park for example disengages the clutch and mechanically locks the gearbox in gear if the engine isn't running, with start/stop the start up and shift lag from park to drive is whilst the clutch is released and the gearbox reselects the correct gear then re-engages. Honestly just leave it in drive.

To get a smooth take off when the engine has stopped slightly release the foot brake until the engine restarts then after restart fully release the foot brake and accelerate. Fully releasing the foot brake prior to engine starting seems to confuse the gearbox and hillhold creating a very harsh take off.
gt_lock
New

Post by gt_lock »

Still happening intermittently, perhaps the binding could be it as you suggested b0rk. When at dealers it didn't do, so when it gets cooler again and more miles on the clock will see how it goes.