Electrical Problem? (Polo 9N3)

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
ruu1989
New

Electrical Problem? (Polo 9N3)

Post by ruu1989 »

Hi All,

Registered here because I've seen a lot of good responses which have helped me in the past. Normally, I'm fairly successful with Google, but for this I wasn't even sure *what* to Google.

I've got a 9N3 Polo TDi (80PS model if I remember correctly).

Starting back a few weeks ago, I returned to my car to find the trip counter reset, the clock reset, and the one-touch electric windows not working - however I could still open them by holding the switch.

After getting home, turning it 'off and on again' (I work in IT - it seemed like the sensible thing to do) it was fine. Set the clock and the windows were working again.

No other problems until more recently now. It's developed a habit of the ABS and handbrake lights coming on, emitting three rather loud beeps, and then the lights going off again. Naievely, the lights go off again, and the car seems fine, so I've been ignoring this to an extent.

Yesterday, this happened as I was leaving home, and the one-touch on the windows stopped working again (driver side only - passenger still working normally). Then, arriving at my destination and starting to park, the power steering went, and the light showed on the dash. Restarting the engine, the PS started working again immediately and parked up no issues. No problems on a further ~15 miles of driving I did yesterday.

On the way to Tesco this morning, three loud beeps again whilst leaving my home, and PS problem repeated when parking about half a mile later.

My concern now is if the PS cuts whilst turning, or other driving in the city, and I end up causing a serious accident if I don't 'catch' it in time.

I got the car from a 'real' VW dealer in Oxford - and I have a 1 year warranty for parts and labour. Any ideas what this might be, and, if the warranty will cover it?

Thanks for your time everyone.
Simon90
Silver Member

Re: Electrical Problem? (Polo 9N3)

Post by Simon90 »

If i had warranty i wouldnt even be looking to fix the problem id send it there, with it being vw im sure they will be understanding and sort it as you have warranty with them.. End of the day your just driving the car normally i doubt its nothing youve done.. Maybe this is why it was traded in i dont know but its a possibility

If you get no joy thru vw kick off big time that normally works
ruu1989
New

Post by ruu1989 »

Thanks -

I'm going to phone up and book it in tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes!
Dom_
Silver Member

Post by Dom_ »

Have you had any trouble starting the car? It could just be the battery is on the way out and causing everything electric to play up
blazeguarder
Gold Member

Post by blazeguarder »

Do these symptoms only happen when the engine is idle/low speed stuff or when you're at speed as well? If it's just on idle I'd be inclined to think there might possibly be an alternator fault. Does the battery light ever come on? The car turns stuff off like ABS, power steering etc in a sequence to conserve power when the alternator is going.

Otherwise, I'd agree with letting the garage think about it to be honest...
ruu1989
New

Post by ruu1989 »

So...

Turned out to be something to do with the earth strap wiring loom - whatever that means.

After the garage had the car for 3 days they gave me the good news though ( :evil: ) - not covered under my extended warrenty.

£200 to replace a cable. Yikes. (about 170 for labour, 30 for the cable).

Any point arguing with the warranty people? I mean, as far as I'm aware a wiring loom isn't a 'consumable' part - and it is hardly 'user serviceable...' Just frustrating to think I had to pay £200 for something I could have bought off e-bay and fitted myself.