My new BlueGT (150ps)

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
wobbs1676
New
Drives: BlueGT (150ps)

My new BlueGT (150ps)

Post by wobbs1676 »

Hi all

I've been lurking around the forums for some time but never joined up so this is my first post. I previously owned a 6R Polo 1.2 Match. Liked the car but not the engine. I've since had a Fabia vRS Mk2(terrible oil consumption!) and still have a Golf Mk6 1.4 TSi Match which is getting replaced soon with a new Golf R getting built and hopefully delivered in Nov this year. But for now this Polo is my main daily driver.

Finally got my new Polo 2 weeks ago and have to say i'm very impressed overall with it. (Sorry not the best pic in the pouring rain). It's far more refined than the vRS was and so far seems to be quite a bit better on fuel. Still early days though. Only thing annoying me is the jerky take off when stop start is enabled on the DSG gearbox i'm finding it hard to make a smooth getaway - has anyone else got this issue?

BGT Added Extras: Sat Nav, Winter Pack, DSG, Black Paint.

Bit of a dodgy build though as i was meant to be getting rear parking sensors only - according to the dealer VW changed the goal posts very early on with this newer model and made them an option (front and rears) but the dealer had it on the system with the car coming with rear sensors only, so their looking into retro fitting them (if possible? anyone know?) at VW's/dealers expense . I also had standard silver alloys spec'd but received Anthracite, not complaining about that though as i prefer the look now actually.
sony
Getting There!

Re: My new BlueGT (150ps)

Post by sony »

Lovely! I do like the Blue GT's. Always wondered if they were much better on fuel than a GTI?
Steve9413
Getting There!
Drives: Polo BlueGT

Post by Steve9413 »

Nice colour choice! i too have picked black.
Funny enough i picked the grey wheels but have been fitted with the standard polished ones... maybe you have mine and i have yours ;)
wobbs1676
New

Post by wobbs1676 »

Cheers guys.

Strange thing happening with the Discover Nav unit this morning it kept switching itself off after 5 seconds took me ages to get it going again - constant on/off :cry: . Hope that this is just a one off glitch as i've had enough of having to go back to the dealers when i had the vRS!
Steve9413
Getting There!
Drives: Polo BlueGT

Post by Steve9413 »

I too have noticed the jerky take off with the stop start on the DSG box and also sometimes when you pull away from a junction a little quicker than normal it does it too.
Also have you tried using the tiptronic buttons when driving under load ? i found from second to third it made the TCS light flick on.
wobbs1676
New

Post by wobbs1676 »

Turning stop start off seems to really help stop that jerkyness but kinda defeats the point for fuel saving. I now use the paddles at every junction as ive found D2 at low revs takes too long to get any boost so I drop it into D1 manually now and that seems help.
Garfy
Bronze Member

Post by Garfy »

When I had my BlueGT I found it was more satidfying with stop/start disabled. In reality I noticed an increase in fuel consumption of only about 2mpg
wobbs1676
New

Post by wobbs1676 »

I have to say the last couple of days I've found myself turning the start/stop off completely, it's a much more pleasant drive with it turned off. However the car is going into the garage tomorrow to get looked at. Sat Nav thinks it's in Dresden/Germany and won't budge from that location - plus the unit itself is turning on and off at random intervals, in-fact i unlocked the car this morning and the radio unit was already running and playing music before i turned the engine over, god knows how log it had been doing that! :o

Besides the problems above i do like the car a lot, still wish it had a few more ponies under the bonnet but as a daily driver it's kinda the perfect blend of economy and performance in a small hatch.
nry
Bronze Member

Post by nry »

I didn't opt for the DSG on my 2014 BlueGT - a few reasons, reliability and niggles being one, the second being the massive price hike to get it!

More than happy with the manual box, got a great work out two weeks ago on a stunning run around Kielder Forest :)
Mart!n-GTI-DK
Platinum Member
Drives: '14 Polo BlueGT

Post by Mart!n-GTI-DK »

nry wrote:I didn't opt for the DSG on my 2014 BlueGT - a few reasons, reliability and niggles being one, the second being the massive price hike to get it!

More than happy with the manual box, got a great work out two weeks ago on a stunning run around Kielder Forest :)
I found when I tried the BlueGT prior to buying mine that the DSG didn't work well with the ACT.
When driving it was like the DSG would rather go to a higher gear instead of using the ACT system.
I found that when I put the DSG in "manual" and kept it a gear lower than the DSG box would select it would go in to "2 cylinder mode" and at least according to the computer get a better mpg.

So good choice with the manual gearbox. :) (goes without saying that I picked the manual aswell. :mrgreen: )
nry
Bronze Member

Post by nry »

ACT is very picky even on the manual - if you drive according to the dashboard advice on gear changing then the ACT doesn't activate half as much as keeping it down a gear as you say.

I also find the cruise control a little less smooth than I hoped, my wife's V40 D2 CC is smooth, but perhaps the extra power on the Polo means the acceleration is more noticeable.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

So basically ignore the shift indicator to keep the car in ACT mode?
wobbs1676
New

Post by wobbs1676 »

Dropped the car off this morning at the garage so hopefully get it back soon. :D

I agree about the gearing on the DSG with the ACT, it does feel like it's hunting for the correct gear at times and can be quite jerky. Switching between 2 and 4 cylinder mode is erratic at times as well. I'm hoping some software updates in the future will help with that but I've only got this car until November when my Golf R is scheduled to arrive so i'm not that fussed by putting up with it just now but if i was keeping this car long term i'd have went with the manual gearbox, i think i'd like more control over the engine RPM as i don't think the DSG is working all that well in this pairing even when you use the paddles!
nry
Bronze Member

Post by nry »

I do within reason yeah, it took me a few days of driving to work out the economy vs. gear options, just play around and see how it reacts :)
gt_lock
New

Post by gt_lock »

wobbs1676 ,

As you said it was a bit of a dodgy build, was wondering what DSG box they put in yours. The original DQ200 one with the separate D and S mode, or the updated one with the D/S mode in the same selector position, with the option to flick up or down between the 2 modes? Are you finding erratic behaviour/noise around 1200rpm mostly?