Engine judder at idle

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
chrispy.
Gold Member

Engine judder at idle

Post by chrispy. »

Hello

Not sure if its just me or if its a problem but when I'm sitting at idle in neutral.. The engine will intermittently judder. There is no rhythm to it, just a random judder now and again.

It is enough to move the passengers in the car
The revs don't seem to change..

Could it be a misfire? Problem with the ignition system? Or am i thinking too much into it?

Thanks!
CrypticG
Silver Member
Drives: 1.2 TSI SEL (6C)

Engine judder at idle

Post by CrypticG »

What car and engine have you got?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chrispy.
Gold Member

Engine judder at idle

Post by chrispy. »

Polo 2011 1.2 TSI
CrypticG
Silver Member

Engine judder at idle

Post by CrypticG »

Okay, well I have the 1.2TSi on a 2014 6c and mine does the same - so it must be a characteristic of the engine

chrispy.
Gold Member

Engine judder at idle

Post by chrispy. »

The only way I can describe it is it's like twitching in your sleep.. If that makes sense :) lol

Might give VW a ring soon and find out if they have any idea how to cure it if they can
Mayhem
Silver Member
Drives: 2010 polo 1.2 tsi

Re: Engine judder at idle

Post by Mayhem »

mine does the same. As tho the revs suddenly pick up and die yet im not moving. got used to it now. Only thing that i find annoying is the loud ticking sound the engine makes. Read its the fuel pump or poss fuel lines? again another characteristic of the tsi engine i guess
CrypticG
Silver Member

Engine judder at idle

Post by CrypticG »

chrispy. wrote:The only way I can describe it is it's like twitching in your sleep.. If that makes sense :) lol

Might give VW a ring soon and find out if they have any idea how to cure it if they can
Ha ha yes I know exactly what you mean.. It is a strange one, but not sure how it could be fixed.

chrispy.
Gold Member

Engine judder at idle

Post by chrispy. »

Yes @Mayhem.. I took mine in as it was making vibrating noises when reaching certain rev range.. Turned out to be a fuel line resting on the engine.

I understand about the clicking noise from the engine being a characteristic of the engine.. But this twitching is intermittent, just don't feel that a german company can send out a engine that twitches on idle intermittently.. If it had a rhythm, then yes.. Fine.. But being intermittent tells me something isn't right.
wolfie
Gold Member
Drives: 6R1-1.2 TSI (2011, CBZB, 77Kw)

Post by wolfie »

Mayhem wrote:mine does the same. As tho the revs suddenly pick up and die yet im not moving. got used to it now. Only thing that i find annoying is the loud ticking sound the engine makes. Read its the fuel pump or poss fuel lines? again another characteristic of the tsi engine i guess
My 1.2 TSi (6R0) does the same. It doesn't do it much, but now and again when say waiting at traffic lights it feels like it's missed a beat. I find it tends to do it when the car isn't fully warmed up. After a longer journey it doesn't do it at all or at least I've not noticed it. I don't consider it a problem, I've had many a car in the past miss the odd beat at tick-over, plus the tick-over on the 1.2TSi is pretty slow at 600rpm

"Ticking" is just the high pressure fuel pump sitting on top of the engine, it's a characteristic you can hear it on all of em. If it's more of a rattle against the chassis, that will the fuel lines.
Mayhem
Silver Member

Post by Mayhem »

Not getting quite a judder but when i start my car it sounds like a tractor? When i start it up from cold i can only describe it as a really loud sound like the revs stick then die off even tho its not actually reving?? kinda like a roar lol anyone have any ideas? will try and get a video up at some point
wolfie
Gold Member

Post by wolfie »

Mayhem wrote:Not getting quite a judder but when i start my car it sounds like a tractor? When i start it up from cold i can only describe it as a really loud sound like the revs stick then die off even tho its not actually reving?? kinda like a roar lol anyone have any ideas? will try and get a video up at some point
Yeah, it's a trait of the car. Dunno why but when you start them from cold the revs jump up to about 1100 for about 20+ sec then die back and settle to 600rpm. Something like the clip below? Apparently all the 1.2Tsi engines do it Skoda, Vdub, Seat. (they do sound like rattily at start up) Odd because they are really quiet on the move.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjXifqjvygo
Mayhem
Silver Member

Post by Mayhem »

yeah exactly like that. me and my mate took a look and it looks like that fuel pump thingy ontop of the engine. after reading about stretched chains its a bit worrying at the rattle from it sounds like its coming from everywhere :shock:
wolfie
Gold Member

Post by wolfie »

Mayhem wrote:yeah exactly like that. me and my mate took a look and it looks like that fuel pump thingy ontop of the engine. after reading about stretched chains its a bit worrying at the rattle from it sounds like its coming from everywhere :shock:
LOL.. I sort of know what you mean, but I wouldn't worry about it mine has sounded like that from day 1, 0 miles. The round small tin-can shaped thing at top left hand side of the engine block is the high pressure fuel pump and you can hear them tick-tick-tick... I've read about the cam chains, but having run much older cars with chains can't see them being a problem other than being a bit noisy.

I think they're basically a good engine, it's just that they sound like a handful of stones in a tin can at start-up. But every 1.2Tsi I've listened to does.
Mayhem
Silver Member

Post by Mayhem »

mine sounds like stones in a can even after its been ran for 20mins. sounds alot worse inside than outside. doesnt miss a beat tho so i just turn up the stereo. maybe i just need a sports exhaust to drown out the noise
wolfie
Gold Member

Post by wolfie »

Odd, as rattily as the engine is when the bonnet up I'd say I can't barely hear it on the move (other that normal engine sounds) I did have a rattle from the fuel lines but fixed that. Only rattle I have is from the back. Think I maybe have rear shock that had it as I get a little rattle now and again when on uneven surfaces. It will wait until the weather warms up before I chase it down and find it. Might be a bush or a clamp??