split rim refurb

Detailing & Bodywork
Arinb12
New
Drives: polo gti

split rim refurb

Post by Arinb12 »

Hi guys.

So I've done lots of reading recently and want to refurbish some split rims I've had sitting to go on my car for ages. I can't at all afford £130 a wheel for it to be done for me

The split rims have a chrome coated centre. They are okay and I've polished one of the other rims up quite well so I'm confident I can make them look more than half decent.

The outer lips are I don't know what type of material

If you look at the photos you can see I've used nitromors (old stuff) successfully to remove the gold paint.

I want to polish that outer lip up nice and shiny.

I have a few questions.

1. Would you suggest I split and do a full job on these lips and a nice clean up of the chrome with some polish.
Or can I do this while they are still all in one piece?

That paint came off easy with the nitromors. Sanding in grades up to 2000 is going to be the hard part.

2. I asked for a professional refurbish quote and info and they stated

"lips polished and centres polish, basket section coated and studs polished

What is the basket section??

3. In my photos you can see a black paint on the inside of my rims (not the silicone sealant bead under the tyre) but where it faces the brake rotor.

What is this stuff? Only two rims have it on there?! It doesn't look like it seals anything because the rim that doesnt have it has no join there.

How do I remove it (doesnt look nice through the spokes)

4. Not sure if they are 2 or 3 piece yet. When and if I decide to take them apart i shall know. lol

5. One of the photos shows weld marks/burns where I had a bolt hole repaired. Any idea on how to remove that tarnishing? Just sanding?

Pics

http://s76.photobucket.com/user/arin5/library/alloys

Thanks a lot in advance guys!
Arinb12
New
Drives: polo gti

Re: split rim refurb

Post by Arinb12 »

Anyone??
Sharna14
New
Drives: Polo 6R GTI

Re: split rim refurb

Post by Sharna14 »

Hi,

Have you looked on the wheelwhores forum, as theres a spilt rim section on there, its probs your best bet. :D