Shocks replacement?

Discuss Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres
DC_BS
Bronze Member
Drives: MKV (6N2) 2001

Shocks replacement?

Post by DC_BS »

I think I'm having a problem with my suspension, and may need my shock absorbers replaced. I had a clutch replacement last week and since my brakes have been feeling spongy, almost as if my stopping distance has decreased by 20%.

When I turn the steering wheel full to the left there's a grinding noise, and I did a 'bounce test' on the drivers side, it seemed to carry on for more than 1 and a half bounces.

I'm pretty skint for 2 weeks til I get paid so can't really afford to get any work done, not sure how long I can hold off for, the car isn't planned on being driven much in the next fortnight.

Any other checks I can do to fully know if my shocks have worn?
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Shocks replacement?

Post by alexperkins »

I still don't see how the clutch is related to the brakes unless they've taken components off the they shouldn'tve

As for the suspension check for misting or leaks around where the piston goes into the shock absorber
DC_BS
Bronze Member

Post by DC_BS »

The car feels different after the clutch replacement, if they adjusted something in the brakes and I'm involved in an accident I can sue them cos they tampered with the vehicle when they shouldn't have. Don't think they would have wanted that bad rep.

Did another bounce test, 2 bounces at the most on the front, my mate (who actually sold me the car) reckons its fine. No sign of visible leaks, as far as I can see. They check suspension on an MOT don't they? Its not til next year but if I do need to replace anything I want to know how much it will be and if I have the funds to do it!
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Yes it's checked on the MOT

It's probably OK - the suspension is fairly bouncy as standard
DC_BS
Bronze Member

Post by DC_BS »

Got a fair bit of time to sort it if there's any issues. I don't like the grinding sound when I turn full left on the wheel. Didn't do many bend turns where you'd notice it rocking or not gripping the road very well, that's another good indicator.