Clicking noise when driving

Discuss Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres
DC_BS
Bronze Member
Drives: MKV (6N2) 2001

Re: Clicking noise when driving

Post by DC_BS »

2nd drive today, same sort of thing, a "wum wum wum wum" sound when doing over 30mph. Can't tell if its tyre or wheel bearing noise. Its more noticeable at higher speeds, did 40mph down a dual carriageway and you can hear it clearly.

I've seen videos with wheel bearing noise and its more excessive and loud, like an aeroplane or something. This is more of a quieter sound. What else could it be? There's no noise when turning left or right. No noise when braking or slowing down.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Could be a wheel bearing though it could be a tyre albeit your tyres are fairly new so I wouldn't expect that to be the case
DC_BS
Bronze Member

Post by DC_BS »

Its been known for new cheaper brand tyres to cause noise when driving, which is what I'm hoping it is but they don't make a wum wum wum wum noise I wouldn't have thought. Plus I can't tell what side its on but its definitely from the front. 6 months ago a few days after purchasing the motor I did hit a kerb which caused the wheel bearing to come loose, it failed the MOT a couple of months later but it was tightened to pass the re-test. Could it be that again? Cos obviously I had new tyres fitted they could have knocked it loose again if they have to touch the bearing.
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Yes quite possible it's damaged as the driveshafts were loose for a few days

Check for play and grinding when rotating the wheel when it's jacked up
DC_BS
Bronze Member

Post by DC_BS »

Hmm, the funny thing is when the mechanic diagnosed the initial noise he only took the driver's side tyre off to tighten the wheel hub. When he said he'd check the other side he jacked it up but didn't take the tyre off for some reason, only shook it, and gave me my locking wheel nuts back. There could be a chance he forgot to actually take the tyre off and inspect it. I don't have a jack trolley thing so its going to be hard to raise the car unless its on a ramp thing in a garage.

I could probably cope with getting a new wheel bearing if that's all that's needed, I had a mate that worked at ECP for a while who got me a bearing kit for a heavily discounted price but I don't know if certain mechanics will fit parts supplied by the customer, its by FAG.
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

FAG or Febi would be fine for the wheel bearings. SKF are better quality again comparable to original
DC_BS
Bronze Member

Post by DC_BS »

I just spoke to the mechanic who came round the other day, he reckons its a damaged bearing now due to the loose hub nuts when driving. He said he didn't need to remove the passenger tyre to tighten the wheel hub just the wheel centre cap to access it.

Well unless I know for sure it needs a new bearing, and someone will fit it then I don't know if its going to be much use. Most garages will insist providing their own parts. I'm looking at about £120 or something I reckon for a wheel bearing kit including fitting?
DC_BS
Bronze Member

Post by DC_BS »

Another diagnostic today from a mechanic, jacked car up and on passenger side (where I hit a kerb about 6 months ago) has excessive rocking and noise, this is where the fault was in the last 2 drives I did. Both front wheel bearings will be replaced. They say the the hub nuts are ok. Relieved its just the bearings and nothing else, as replacing other parts such as the wheel hub and stuff is expensive.
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Yeah. Thats progress, albeit more cost. Frustrating its so much in one go!
DC_BS
Bronze Member

Post by DC_BS »

Yeah, I've had to pay 2 call out charges as originally I didn't drive it in a high enough speed for the vehicle to make the noise.

This month I've had to fork out for 2 new front tyres, a clutch replacement and now 2 front wheel bearings. For a 15 year old car a few people say just get shot, but as I've already had a cambelt replacement too I might as well get the most out of it. Its done 127k miles too, and I've known people to have their VW's for 235k miles!

At least I've got the source of the problem now and I sincerely hope there's nothing more to do to it til the MOT!
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

I didnt long ago get rid of my Golf MK2 GTI - had 380000 miles on the clock
DC_BS
Bronze Member

Post by DC_BS »

Woah, there was me planning to keep it for a couple of years! This diesel must have plenty of life left in it!
DC_BS
Bronze Member

Post by DC_BS »

Getting the hubs back with the new bearings in today, £325 incl fitting!!

Will have to get the tracking done again though as the wheel hubs were obviously loose when I got the car back. Are alignment and tracking the same thing? I really don't want to go back to the autocentre place again though.
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Ouch!

Yes same thing. Anywhere can do it
DC_BS
Bronze Member

Post by DC_BS »

I want that money back though for the damage they did to my wheel hub nuts! Even if they were to be hasty then they could least offer me a free tracking service.

Might have to wait til next month to do the tracking though, how long is too long to not have it done?