Clicking noise when driving

Discuss Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres
DC_BS
Bronze Member
Drives: MKV (6N2) 2001

Clicking noise when driving

Post by DC_BS »

Just been out for a drive and I noticed a strange clicking/grinding noise as I was in motion. Just had new tyres fitted, thought something was stuck on one of them originally. Checked suspension, can't figure out where the noise is coming from. Is it the anti-roll bar links? CV joints? Bushes? It stops when I brake but as I go faster it progressively gets louder and constant.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Clicking noise when driving

Post by alexperkins »

Is it rotational in a pattern?

CV joints can click, but normally only on corners

Could be something touching the brake disk
DC_BS
Bronze Member

Post by DC_BS »

Yes it is, had it checked out by a mechanic, turns out both front hub nuts were loose, which was the cause of the problem. The place that did my tyres and clutch must not have put it back together properly, and are going to get a big complaint from me!
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Wow....that is so so dangerous!!!!!!!
DC_BS
Bronze Member

Post by DC_BS »

I know! To think most of my driving is down motorways as well!! Part of me thinks the c**t that handled my clutch repair was behind it, he was being a **** about the clutch cable, there's a chance to sue him for this and claim loads!!

Also relieved that its not the anti-roll bar links or wishbone bushes, both would have cost about £400 together to replace.
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Its pretty poor to be honest. Id be wanting a refund for the labour given the danger that put you in
DC_BS
Bronze Member

Post by DC_BS »

Another classic case of "you get what you pay for" as the price was pretty cheap but I should have known better. I'll be contacting the manager and making a formal complaint. I could have had a nasty accident or even worse, died on the motorway. Most people ignore funny noises like that on an old car thinking "ah its ageing its meant to do that...."
DC_BS
Bronze Member

Post by DC_BS »

Using this as a template for my letter of complaint, need to be careful what I say though

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/ ... -a-vehicle
DC_BS
Bronze Member

Post by DC_BS »

My draft letter:

On 5 August my vehicle was booked in for a tyre service, with the front two to be replaced on the above vehicle, VW Polo 1.9 SDI diesel.
When I collected the vehicle from you later in the afternoon I was informed all work was done and the vehicle was ready.
The bill for the work was xxxx
On 17 August, 12 days after the fitting the vehicle developed serious faults as there was a very loud grinding/clunking noise when driving the vehicle at low speeds. This never occurred before the vehicle was brought into your auto centre, rendering it unfit to drive.
The xxxxx personnel who I called out confirmed in their opinion the front two hub nuts were loose which was a result of poor workmanship and attention safety detail from your garage staff when fitting the new tyres This was the cause of the excessive clunking noise when driving.
Given the vehicle was unsafe to drive and I could not access your autocentre I had no choice but to have a necessary inspection on the vehicle condition.
You were under a legal obligation to carry out the work with reasonable skill and care, and to return the vehicle in a safe driving condition. The above fault indicates you failed to do so, and I am therefore legally entitled to receive compensation from you for your breach of contract.
I therefore ask for the labour costs of the work involved to be refunded to me in the next 14 days.
Should you fail to reimburse me, I shall have no alternative but to issue a claim against you in the county court for recovery of the money without further reference to you.
However, in accordance with the Civil Procedure Pre-Action Protocol, I would be willing to refer my case to the Motor Industry Code of Practice for Service and Repair, as I understand that they have a free conciliation and low cost independent arbitration scheme.
This would be a way of successfully resolving my dispute without resorting to legal action.
Please confirm whether you are a member of the Motor Industry Code of Practice for Service and Repair.

Have I missed anything or said anything they can challenge or deny?
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Reads fairly upfront to me buddy
DC_BS
Bronze Member

Post by DC_BS »

It'd probably help if I also attached photocopies of the invoice for the work and also the mechanic paperwork for the wheel hub repair?
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Yeah supports the argument
DC_BS
Bronze Member

Post by DC_BS »

Might have to rethink about this as apparently you're supposed to check the wheel nut after a tyre change, plus they will do everything they can to deny it. They don't need to touch the wheel hubs though for a tyre replacement? And if they had tightened it in the first place it wouldn't have come loose. It never said anywhere on the receipt I was meant to check the wheel nuts.
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

I think you are crossing purposes

The driveshaft nuts would never be checked unless the driveshaft had been removed.
DC_BS
Bronze Member

Post by DC_BS »

They're obviously going to try and say they didn't do it to avoid a claim as they can deal with just a lost customer.

Went for a drive earlier and although the excessively loud clicking sound has gone there's a very small grinding sound (had to turn the radio down to hear it) which could be a sign the wheel bearing is gone? But it can't be as the mechanic checked both sides for wear (jacked car up and shook the wheels). Unless its the noise coming from new tyres. Bear in mind this was at 30-40mph in 4/5th gear.