Overheating 2015 polo 1.4 tdi bluemotion- 16k

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Overheating 2015 polo 1.4 tdi bluemotion- 16k

Post by RUM4MO »

I'd think the 1K ohm resistor would be the smart way forward, if you could be bothered, even chopping open the "coil" and leaving just the mating connector and body, so that you could still mount it on the revised pump, and solder that resistor across the pins. A 1/2 watt might be the better choice and spray it all with a sealing lacquer to stop any annoying "dissolving" due to moisture - even potting it with Araldite etc, some might say overkill!
AirDark
New
Drives: 6R TDI BlueMotion 90BHP

Post by AirDark »

ok, fair enough, I start thinking about the wrong cooling fluid, it is a G13 but yellow, and on the bottle there isn't the specific about Vw Tl 774-J (G13 original vw) perhaps
it is due to this....
today with old on checked, from cold some delay to start working diverter, but once started from obd, works at temperature range of 91-98 (while on car dashboard appears always 90, going above on dashboard when on obd shows 106...) going quite fast and uphill with high load... I am thinking to change again the system with original cooling fluid.... (maybe the original provide a optimal work of the diverter/solenoid system).. you mentioned me before the G12 evo, which you suggest, G13 or G12 evo?? do you know how much fluid the cooling system contains?
thank you very much
AirDark
New

Post by AirDark »

An interesting update, last week I changed the cooling fluid, after a deep flush with several filling from empty system of demineralised water (6 times) and putted on the original VW G12 evo, the system was overheated on test run in road up to 110 Celsius degrees (from obd monitor, 98 on dashboard) and then settled on 90 (thermostat hose hot), some days later overheated less, only message on display showing start/stop off for work/service temp not maintained) and then all ok, in the 2 last days not overheating at all…. All normal, I thing the last test when will be DPF regeneration… but very good so far, it was the cooling fluid!!!
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Sorry I seemed to have missed your previous posting about G13 or G12evo, but by now you have used G12evo which must be the better way forward.

Good to hear that things have settled down, I'd think that initially after changing the coolant you will have had some trapped air and now that has worked its way out of the system.

Edit:- seeing as you now know this, what was the coolant capacity of that system, knowing that might help others and certainly I'd like to know what a typical Polo cooling system capacity is even although my wife's car has a 1.2TSI engine.
AirDark
New

Post by AirDark »

No probs, thank you, actually I was quite surprised about this that the diverter started working again, my as 1.4 tdi bluemotion cusb 90 hp is around almost 5 litres, I got the 5 litres tank and there is just a 1-200 mls..
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Thanks for letting us know the cooling system capacity!

You say that you bought a 5 litre container of G12evo, that is strange, I thought that G12evo was only available in 1 litre, 20 litre and 50 or 100 litre containers - the correct and only version that genuine VW Group dealerships sell is the "50" version which is the same as factory 50% water + 50% G12evo conc. There were a few places selling what was the original genuine VW Group "40" version which is only 60% water and 40% G12evo conc, and I initially planned to buy that - but luckily I spotted that VW Group were only disposing of that and so sellers were just selling on stocks bought at disposal auctions. Now, I'd think that the "40" version, if you did indeed buy that will be okay, especially as far South as Bude, I don't know how long the corrosion protection that is built in will last, but if you are only keeping this car for maybe 4 years longer all will be well I'd guess. The first car I put G12evo "50" version into will only get kept by me for a few more years so while I bought the better version, I'll not get any benefit from buying it!
AirDark
New

Post by AirDark »

I bought this the code on the bottle is G12E040A3
Perhaps could be the 40% one? Bought on eBay, I have to worry about is not the 50-50 one?
AirDark
New

Post by AirDark »

pardon, on the tank the code is G12E050A3 5litres, -35°C original VW group, in fact by the others pictures the G12E040A3 one protects down to -25 °C which I assume that could be 40%-60% and this one is protecting for more 10 degrees below, should be 50%...
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Maybe that is the same "40" as I saw on ebay and was going to buy it only to discover that VW Group either don't or no longer sell that version and now only sell the "50" version, yes the "40" and the "50" in the part number denotes the "strength" of the premixed coolant.

That version, ie the "40" version was available originally in 1 litre 5 litre and bigger volumes, the later "50" version was and still is not available in 5 litre containers, it jumps from 1 litre to maybe 20 litres. So if you have managed to buy a 5 litre container then it must be the "40" premixed coolant.

I wasted a lot of time looking for the best and cheapest solution to me buying G12eco, in UK no aftermarket providers, as yet, supply that version of coolant either in concentrated form or premixed, I even looked into buying it from Europe but once you add in the transport costs etc for buying in concentrated form, it made no economic sense, so just before I pressed the "buy now" key for the ebay "40" version in 5 litre containers, and I was going to play safe and buy 3 containers, I finally phoned my local VW dealership only to find that VW Group dealers sell the correct "50" premixed version at a very sensible price, ie close to matching the ebay seller in maybe Kendal selling the "40" version, plus I could risk buying only 10 litres and be able to quickly get out and buy another one or two 1 litre containers if I needed to - so, I phoned my local VW Van Centre and they had plenty in stock at the same price so I drove round and was handed a full box of 12 X 1 litre bottles of the "50" version - for the same price as 10! So that worked out as being £5.94 inc VAT per litre.

Just a note for anyone reading this and having thoughts about buying new G12evo coolant, this coolant in its concentrated state is known as BASF Glysatin G65 and can be bought as that in mainland Europe, no doubt the usual aftermarket suppliers like Comma will, with time, start selling their branded versions hopefully at a better price than VW Group, and in more sensible sized volumes.

I've ended up with 5 litres spare after replacing the G12+ OR G12++ IN MY 2011 Audi S4, so maybe I'll replace the G13 in my wife's 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI soon as that car will not get its coolant system opened up unless the thermostat/pump housing starts leaking. I have reservations about keeping G13 in any coolant system as VW Group quickly started to add Silicate crystals into the reservoir without giving any clear indications why and what action should be taken on previous cooling systems that left the factory with G13! All I know is, that by measuring the ph value of the coolants every year, the G12+ or G12++ in my old 2011 Audi S4 has kept closer to the original value of ph whereas the G13 in this 2015 VW Polo was been dropping towards "acidic" a lot quicker - and that worries me slightly.
AirDark
New

Post by AirDark »

very useful information, thank you! yesterday absolutely no issues with DPF regeneration, but today in 10 miles hoverheated up to 117 degrees.... starting drive me crazy! maybe i used early heating system as different from yesterday.... i`ll keep you updated... seems a tv series!
spartacus68
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 1.4 TDI (90PS) Blue motion

Post by spartacus68 »

Interesting information here about G13 coolant and the dreaded silica bag. I've since removed mine.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eyHcbu5Bg_o

Loads of information here on switchable waterpump.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4ukTilxezVw

If you've not come across Dave Sterl on YouTube he's old school, but meticulous in his approach to fixing cars. Can't recommend highly enough. :D
AirDark
New

Post by AirDark »

Thank you, already seen both, so, after a week of use with high heating on to avoid overheating and repetitive check of radiator hoses, finally the shroud seems slightly moving, because started to open the thermostat only above 3000rpm, now in a travers of 280km no issues, and on a deep check seems that it needs to reach above 1800rpm… hope will keep improving… (always left unplugged the switchable water pump and fortunately no ecu error or mil light on)
Daantje050
New
Drives: polo 1.4 tdi

Post by Daantje050 »

Hi all. I am from a dutch polo community but there is no active topic of this matter. I figured to register here, maybe it will give some extra information about the topic.

My switchable waterpump (Polo 1.4 tdi CUSA engine) started failing around 180k. This was by the coolant temperature during warmup going past 90 degrees (max 110) and then it drops to 90 again after a few seconds. During the rest of the drive there was no further problem. Since the car was not holding the overheating i continued to drive the car for around 6 months with this condition. The timing belt and waterpump was replaced due to maintenance (206k) and now the problem is gone, they fitted a new switchable waterpump. Ive seen the waterpump, it was sticky but not seized.

Does anyone know if it could be a problem for the engine and other compontents that i kept on driving with the failing waterpump ? (Like EGR for example?) I currently have no issues and the car drives fine...

i uploaded a vid on yt of the probleem: notice the coolant temperature.: https://youtu.be/uiFDNow-JDc
AirDark
New

Post by AirDark »

Hi, thank you for your post, so, i don't think that could be a big issue, unless you are drive constantly at 118-120 C degrees temp, I realised that the engine was overheating by the message on start-stop system switched off for "work temperature not maintained" that usually appears only when you start driving with very cold engine (and because I do not have the indicator on dashboard, only to go checking through the buttons), and after this i realised that during DPF regeneration the temp was above 115-116, but no error and not alarm to stop driving.... Sometimes was working properly and sometimes no, after some research I resolved unplugging the solenoid (fortunately no ecu error or MIL advice on from both dashboard and eobd diag), in one week of continuous check (and lot of times of heating fan on max) gradually the temp now is settled to 85-95 degrees, with only a peak on 103 degrees (only through obd check, because dashboard shows 90 degrees in actual temp range of 73-106 degrees, with switching off the start stop system when the actual temp is above 105 degrees) and rapidly goes down to 88, at 47mph in 5 gear where the RPM is low to simulate the worst condition possible : low spinning water pump and high engine load, if i go for example to 60 mph, the temp not goes as first peak above 96....