polo g40 questions

Chat about your MKIII (86C) inc GT/G40 Polo
USAPOLO
New

polo g40 questions

Post by USAPOLO »

are there any other alternators i can use for the g40 besides the g40 one, i currently live in the united states where polo parts are very rare.

second, has anyone had any problems with alot of oil all over there engine, from what ive gathered, it seems to be my crankcase breather is clogged, has anyone done this before and reused parts, any info is greatly appreciated

-dennis

www.highspeeddubbin.com
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by polo2k »

i diont know about alternators but you might be able to fit some mk2 golf ones
and on the breather just remove the breather pipe and shove some wire in there or somthing to unblock it
also check the rubber seal in the filler cap
KarlM
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by KarlM »

The trick with alternators is to find one from a higher or later spec version of your car, as these tend to have more electrical components.

So i would have a look at a alternator of a newer polo (Mk4 or Mk5), as these have more leccy bits the alternators are beefed up to cope with them.
hayesey
Silver Member

oily 'G'

Post by hayesey »

from wot I've heard the oil breather is a bit of a weak spot with G40's. it quite common that they'll start to spit out oil wen the breather get clogged up. It normally comes out of the dipstick tube cos thats the easiest place. try cleaning out the breather tubes (or even replacing them). Also people have installed oil catch tanks which are really to stop any 'gunk' in the oil vapours going back into the engine, but I also think they help with the problem of oil going everywhere.

try going to the pologt yahoo group & asking there cos theres loads of G40 owners on there.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pologt/
hardhitter

Post by hardhitter »

I'm certain the Polo GT alternator is the same as the G40 one.

On the Mk 3 Polo there are two types of alternator, a 45 Amp and a 65 Amp type. The 45 Amp one will be for the basic 1 litre engines, and the 65 Amp will be for GT's and G40's. I'm not sure which one the normal 1.3 has ?

The crancase breather is quite a common problem on the G40, there is a one way valve for the breather which gets blocked up. When this is blocked the oil gets blown from the dipstick usually.