Clutch clonk (after gear selection) ... 6C

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
madjam6rc
New
Drives: 6RC (1.0 SE, 2014)

Clutch clonk (after gear selection) ... 6C

Post by madjam6rc »

Hi ... newbie here with a metallic clonk that I hear after gear selected, as clutch pedal being released. Wasn't sure which sub-forum to post in so initially posted here:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=71218

The car is a 2014, 3 door 1.0 (60) SE, with 25k miles, full dealer history, 1 owner. Great car, just a concerning sound! (Please refer to above link for detail). Any other owners experienced this sound? Thanks!
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Clutch clonk (after gear selection) ... 6C

Post by RUM4MO »

It is fair enough posting that issue in this section as it should get better viewing as it could be only an issue with this version of Polo (and next?).

Welcome to the forum!

Something is going on in that area with my wife's August 2015 Polo 1.2TSI 110PS - I just have not worked out yet exactly where the noise is coming from.

There should be a few possibilities:- gearbox rear mounting or internal to the gearbox bellhousing meaning release sleeve assembly/clutch assembly or gearbox internals or drive shafts.

Some times even working out which area of the car it is coming from is difficult, blinking nuisance and I should try to locate it and either sort it properly or get the dealer to fob me off, which is probably why I have done nothing about it - ie I can't be bothered to go through the process of booking it in > doing without that car for a day > getting very apologetic guff from the service team > then travelling to collect the car, silly way of thinking maybe, but I've usually found that if you have a strange problem, you are on your own, dealership workshops are only okay at normal tasks or replacing large assemblies at huge prices if the car has died.

Edit:- historically VW Group dealerships it seems by forum postings, apply any lubricant that is to hand to as many parts as possible as a "first try" - promising to dig deeper if you can be bothered to waste any more of your time arranging for another visit and doing without the car again!!
Nirline6R
New
Drives: 6R R LINE

Post by Nirline6R »

It's normal mate don't worry.

I have a 1.0 tsi (130hp) 6c myself and it was doing that since day one. It's not a gearbox issue, it's the clutch mechanism used. My friend with a 95hp 1.0 bluemotion also has the same noise. We've visited the dealership where they told us it is normal for this drivetrain. Anyway, if it's not causing any driving problems just ignore it.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Hum, a "they all do it sir!" reply, not good, my wife can now hear what I think is the EVAP solenoid operating, a kind of low level "cheep cheep" - that is a lot better/acceptable than the original louder "peep peeeeeeping" noises it made before I requested that VW fit a smooth bore pipe - as is fitted to later 1.4TSI etc.

I know that these cars are not Rolls Royces - but when there is a bit of equal quality out there from other manufacturers, we as customers should be getting sold cars that operate in an acceptable manner - and that includes no strange/unusual/unnecessary noises, time to get things right VW Group!
madjam6rc
New

Post by madjam6rc »

I know what you mean but is there a manufacturer nowadays that is able to produce a car without fault? Clearly not and we all have to accept some issues but I do find it annoying that nothing seems to be solid/well made anymore. All cars will have idiosyncratic, quirky noises and peculiar issues etc and some are fine, others not so. I've owned two BMWs and both were far from being 'The Ultimate Driving Machine'.

I love my newly acquired Polo and will live with quirks and noises so long as they're not indicative of anything serious, expensive remedies and/or safety being compromised. Forums like this are great (but can seriously damage your sanity also) ☺
madjam6rc
New

Post by madjam6rc »

Nirline6R wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:39 pm It's normal mate don't worry.

I have a 1.0 tsi (130hp) 6c myself and it was doing that since day one. It's not a gearbox issue, it's the clutch mechanism used. My friend with a 95hp 1.0 bluemotion also has the same noise. We've visited the dealership where they told us it is normal for this drivetrain. Anyway, if it's not causing any driving problems just ignore it.
I tend to agree. Have found on the Citigo and Up! forums similar complaints of this noise. Seems to be either a natural, "don't worry about it" noise or something to be further investigated. The fact that so many seemingly do hear this (at least once made aware) implies it is indeed a mechanical characteristic of the clutch (added to the minimal soundproofing that makes it louder). Had I'd not had the windows down whilst driving around an echoy, built-up area, I'd probably never had heard it.

If there are others on here who also hear/experience this lift-off clutch clack, please feel free to add to this thread.
madjam6rc
New

Post by madjam6rc »

No other Polo owners hearing this sound?
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

I am still thinking that the noise on my wife's August 2015 Polo with 20.5K miles is either the dog leg rear mounting or the shock absorbing springs in the clutch plate, if it is the clutch plate, I'd question the design of that item as in normal use while treating the car's gearbox with care and respect, these shock absorber springs should not be making any noises at all!

And yes, I have seen pictures posted on line of some of these clutch plates shredding the woven friction material - ie that material maybe built using woven strips of material and then baked, so in use it should never start to unwind - but in some cases it has been, which really does point the finger at cheap nasty sourcing of some vital parts. With heavy use/abuse, I would expect these friction linings to get burned, worn down or cracked, but never unwinding!

This is probably why "it is to be expected, they all do that sir" - ie VW Group have chosen badly and we the customers end up paying for these mistakes, probably shortly outside warranty period, or as it seems getting warranty claims well within warranty being rejected as the car has been abused - this has been happening to some owners already, you have been advised, be prepared - they will get your money!
madjam6rc
New

Post by madjam6rc »

A Citigo and Up! drove past today (I was walking) and both made this same sound when changing gear.
mixalisgti
New
Drives: polo gti 6c manual

Post by mixalisgti »

I experience that sound on my 6c gti after gear selection and i can realise it only when im going like a turtle. Not hearing it all the time
madjam6rc
New

Post by madjam6rc »

It's apparently, according to other VAG related forum threads, normal 'take up' of the clutch plate and flywheel which the relatively poor sound proofing doesn't seem to quieten. As said I can only hear mine when going slowly through a housing estate with windows down and music off.
madjam6rc
New

Post by madjam6rc »

Think I may need to go to the dealer to check this noise out.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

mixalisgti wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 9:49 pm I experience that sound on my 6c gti after gear selection and i can realise it only when im going like a turtle. Not hearing it all the time
I also experience it on my 6c GTI after 1st to 2nd gear change. It’s done it from new and has never got any worse and has never bothered me. Gear change is fine. Had it on other cars too.
danikd
Getting There!
Drives: Citigo

Post by danikd »

Hello, same sound on my Citigo, from 1-2-3 shipting up very lousy noise, its very lousy between houses at closed street ... in warranty changed clutch, same sound, only solution is to make gear change very slow 2-3s ...
Anyono any update on this problem?
madjam6rc
New

Post by madjam6rc »

Again, I can only hear this with windows down in an echoy area. Sounds awful bit seems to be a 'characteristic' noise. I wonder if this is exclusive to just small-engined VAG cars??