Handbrake

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Re: Handbrake

Post by Andy Beats »

Adam_013 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:01 am ]Well, very true. But then again, the handbrake should still hold the vehicle on a hill regardless of hill-start assist or not.
I take your point, but my point is it shouldn't be considered for hill-starts any more at all.
It should be considered a parking brake only, and the poster hasn't mentioned any issues with it in that scenario.
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Post by Adam_013 »

Andy Beats wrote:
Adam_013 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:01 am ]Well, very true. But then again, the handbrake should still hold the vehicle on a hill regardless of hill-start assist or not.
I take your point, but my point is it shouldn't be considered for hill-starts any more at all.
It should be considered a parking brake only, and the poster hasn't mentioned any issues with it in that scenario.
And I agree on that. But with newer drivers it can take longer than the 3 seconds or so for them to set off, and then end up rolling back. Of course this can be changed, like I have, and you can change the angle in which the car is on for it to activate but you shouldn't have to do that.

And some folk don't like change to 'new tech'.

At the end of the day, VW should have sorted this handbrake issue by now. You shouldn't have to worry about a new car rolling with the handbrake on, or put up with a stiff handbrake. At work we have bottom spec Corsa vans and have never had a mechanical fault with any 2014 - 2017 models. These have a odd hill-start system which is terribly unreliable, but the handbrake has no issues holding the car. Nor is it tough to engage either.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

andyxxx
New
Drives: 1l se

Post by andyxxx »

As I said – I had not heard of hill assist until reading here (for 20 years I have had automatics plus a Defender – which most certainly don’t have it :D )

Anyway- I have just checked and it does indeed have this feature - However, there is no way at present I would trust parking this car on a hill without leaving it in gear.

Even though the car has hill assist (which is a great feature)unless VW/the dealer sort this issue in the next couple of weeks, I will probably reject the car within the 30 days.
Last edited by andyxxx on Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andyxxx
New

Post by andyxxx »

[/quote] Of course this can be changed, like I have, and you can change the angle in which the car is on for it to activate but you shouldn't have to do that.[/quote]

How can this be changed?
I think I would alter it to 5 or 6 seconds.
Adam_013
Silver Member

Post by Adam_013 »

andyxxx wrote:
Of course this can be changed, like I have, and you can change the angle in which the car is on for it to activate but you shouldn't have to do that.[/quote]

How can this be changed?
I think I would alter it to 5 or 6 seconds.[/quote]I have a carista which plugs in to your OBD and then to your phone. You can alter various things for your car like coming home lights, dial sweeps, etc etc ...

You have 3 options for it, early, normal and delayed. I have delayed set in mine which is about 5 seconds and set the activation angle to about 3 or 4 degrees if I remember correctly.

It also allows you to turn off things such as start/stop of you don't like it, personally I haven't but the options is there.

Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

andyxxx wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:51 pm How can this be changed?
Needs VCDS, so dealer only (or someone with VCDS)
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Adam_013 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:03 pm
andyxxx wrote:
Of course this can be changed, like I have, and you can change the angle in which the car is on for it to activate but you shouldn't have to do that.
How can this be changed?
I think I would alter it to 5 or 6 seconds.[/quote]I have a carista which plugs in to your OBD and then to your phone. You can alter various things for your car like coming home lights, dial sweeps, etc etc ...

You have 3 options for it, early, normal and delayed. I have delayed set in mine which is about 5 seconds and set the activation angle to about 3 or 4 degrees if I remember correctly.

It also allows you to turn off things such as start/stop of you don't like it, personally I haven't but the options is there.

[/quote]

If you tell me this 'carista' can switch off the anti-collision guff, I'll get one....please tell me it can.....
Adam_013
Silver Member

Post by Adam_013 »

Andy Beats wrote:
Adam_013 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:03 pm
andyxxx wrote:
Of course this can be changed, like I have, and you can change the angle in which the car is on for it to activate but you shouldn't have to do that.
How can this be changed?
I have a carista which plugs in to your OBD and then to your phone. You can alter various things for your car like coming home lights, dial sweeps, etc etc ...

[/quote]

If you tell me this 'carista' can switch off the anti-collision guff, I'll get one....please tell me it can.....[/quote]I'd love to check, my I haven't got my car [emoji107]. Think it can only do basic stuffs, so switching off safety systems would be a no no.. can do the seatbelt warning, not that there is a reason for people not wearing the.....

andyxxx
New

Post by andyxxx »

I had also never heard of carista!
I have just looked at their website and options for a Dec 18 model and can’t see an option for hill start or to alter the length of time. If it is definitely in there I will get one.
Adam_013
Silver Member

Post by Adam_013 »

andyxxx wrote:I had also never heard of carista!
I have just looked at their website and options for a Dec 18 model and can’t see an option for hill start or to alter the length of time. If it is definitely in there I will get one.
Yes, I can definitely say it is! For my polo MY18 the option is there... When I signed up for it, I had to opt into the beta for the extra options but that was a while ago, and haven't used it for a while.

It also enables me to turn it on, on my Mum's A1.

Cadwest
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Cadwest »

My brother has just told me that his daughter has just had the seatbelt fix done on her Seat Ibiza FR and she has been informed that the vehicle needs to go back in for a recall on the handbrake, he seemed to think due to it not holding correctly on inclines.
blackertracker
Bronze Member
Drives: ..

Post by blackertracker »

DVSA have issued a recall for 2017-2018 Polo handbrake:

https://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recall ... =Blank&tx=

The handbrake adjustment nut can loosen. The fix is to fit a ‘locking device’ to the nut.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

blackertracker wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:12 pm DVSA have issued a recall for 2017-2018 Polo handbrake:

https://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recall ... =Blank&tx=

The handbrake adjustment nut can loosen. The fix is to fit a ‘locking device’ to the nut.
That notice doesn't make it clear if it is all AW Polos or just those with rear drum brakes or perhaps just those with rear disk brakes.
Adam_013
Silver Member

Post by Adam_013 »

My car comes up OK on the VW recall bit on the website.

Its on rear drums.Image

monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Adam_013 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:45 pm My car comes up OK on the VW recall bit on the website.

Its on rear drums.Image

Mine comes up clear of recalls too, but it shouldn't - I haven't had my read seatbelt fix done yet. Maybe VW don't consider it a recall unless they are compelled to fix ASAP.