Handbrake

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Re: Handbrake

Post by Adam_013 »

Just booked mine in for the hand brake a few ill-fitting trims..

And yes, the pixels great [emoji106]
TElwoody wrote:
Adam_013 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:55 pm I'm also sending mine in, I'm on my second polo since they messed the first order up, and both had the same issue, like a horrible graunchy noise. I think I read on here that apparently they replace the cables.
TElwoody wrote:Hi all,

I've had my Polo for about three weeks now and i have definitely noticed the handbrake not being smooth, like an un greased, not smooth, creaking noise almost when pulled up with the button in.

My cars going in tomorrow to get the LEDs adjusted upwards, any advice or just stick to my guns that it shouldn't be like that?

Thanks all,
Tom.
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Cheers mate, took mine in and they gave the whole LED lights are properly calibrated and out engineer tested the handbrake and found it to be completely normal. Also the diid a brake test and passed.

Might have another word with them and it is quite loud for a handbrake and the LEDs are almost a waste of a Grand with how low they're aimed.

Cheers buddy,
Tom.

P.s. enjoying your Pixel 2XL? I love my 2

RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Andy Beats wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:13 pm
RUM4MO wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:43 pm Yes, I like rear disc brakes, everything is out in the open so they can get cleaned up easily if you want to.
Rear discs are a pain, they often just don't get used enough.
People wonder why rear discs often need replaced before fronts, it's usually corrosion through lack of use or the calipers seizing and causing disc issues.
They're just fashion items on run-of-the-mill cars, there's really no need for them.
People just want to see discs through their fancy alloys, they feel 'cheated' if they have drums. :roll:
Well we all have our own idea of what is what, yes rear discs do get under used and can end up getting very corroded especially on the inner unsighted side, but I've had cars with rear discs since 1992 and while during that time needing to look after cars with rear drums, and I'll stick with my ideas/experience of running these sorts of cars each over a period of 10+ years from new. My wife's current car, bought new, will be 4 years old in August next year, might be time to replace the rear discs then or after another year, which suits me, they get cleaned up initially every 2 years when the winter wheels/tyres come off and the summer wheels/tyres go on, maybe from next wheel/season change that clean up will change to every year.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

silverhairs wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:47 pm
RUM4MO wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:37 pm Today I was doing my usual and "helping" my wife while she did some food shopping, so at Sainburys that means having a quick read of the car mags, seems like AEX likes the new Polo, it was a 1.0TSI 115PS 6SPD version they have - only issue, they don't like the handbrake "does not feel right and needs a lot of effort to operate" - or words to that effect - maybe an avid AEX subscriber needs to send them a message on this topic?
Read your post, and about the "Auto Express" We don't like the hand brake. Having time on my hands, being retired, I sent an email to "Auto Express's reporter Dawn Grant who has been given the 2018 SE l 115ps to drive around for the next 6 months.
I told her about the problem some members are having with their hand brakes, not only that, but I also told her about the wipers juddering and to look out for the 5th centre seat belt, making sure their Polo's belt has been properly fixed.
She has sent back an email saying it was one of the other reporters who found the hand brake heavy to pull up and not a lot of travel.

"Hi xxxxxx

Thanks for your emails, it was my colleague who wasn't happy with the handbrake but I will keep an eye on it and the windscreen wipers following your advice.

Kind regards

Dawn"

So it will be worth keeping an eye on the up-date reports of their "Own cars"
Well that is one thing about being retired, you can take on things like this, I/we took on EDF and stopped them ripping off my wife and her sister after their mother died and EDF that it would be clever to start sending out silly sized energy bills for a house that was not being lived in and energy was obviously a lot lower, that took a lot of phone calls over a period of 10 months before they gave up and started charging only what costs were due to them, donkeys, but I would never use them as that has happened to many in the past! An innocent passtime naming and shaming those that give nothing and take lots from society.
Adam_013
Silver Member

Post by Adam_013 »

Dropped the car off today at VW for the squeaky handbrake and a dodgy door trim. They fitted new cables and refitted the handle on the n/s door.

Cables have fixed the noise it made and it now only comes up 2/3 notches and easily holds the car. It also actually slows the car down if applied whilst in motion.

Best bet for anyone else it to get it sorted by the dealer!

silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

I wonder if VW realise that the new Polo's are having problems with their hand brakes, due to a dodgy batch being fitted? Why don't they have a recall and check out all the hand brake cables, or is it that it's a new motor and not many (in their minds) can be fixed without a recall?
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Bigger fish to fry I'd reckon, though that is cold comfort to everyone with issues with their new cars.
weezul
New
Drives: Polo 1.0 TSI 95se 2018

Post by weezul »

I am picking up a new 1.0tsi 95 se next week.... are people really saying the handbrake doesn't hold?! I park on a really steep hill at one of the studios I work at, and my 1.4TDI (15 plate) clicks forward a little and then seems to lock in place no problem...I always pull the handbrake and then dance in the seat to check it haha!!! And now I have visions of it f*****g smashing into the front of the building. I will definitely check mine before I leave I think!
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

weezul wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:43 pm I am picking up a new 1.0tsi 95 se next week.... are people really saying the handbrake doesn't hold?! I park on a really steep hill at one of the studios I work at, and my 1.4TDI (15 plate) clicks forward a little and then seems to lock in place no problem...I always pull the handbrake and then dance in the seat to check it haha!!! And now I have visions of it f*****g smashing into the front of the building. I will definitely check mine before I leave I think!
Mine had a short throw to start with, only a couple of clicks.
Then it jumped to about four clicks and feels nice now. :D
No more creaking from the rear brakes, it evidently just needed to bed in.
If you park on a really steep hill, it's not that advisable to rely on the handbrake alone anyway.
Get used to leaving it in gear as well and/or turn the front wheels so, if it does let go, the car will only roll a few inches before bumping into the kerb.
weezul
New
Drives: Polo 1.0 TSI 95se 2018

Post by weezul »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:42 pm If you park on a really steep hill, it's not that advisable to rely on the handbrake alone anyway.
Get used to leaving it in gear as well and/or turn the front wheels so, if it does let go, the car will only roll a few inches before bumping into the kerb.
Hmm... it's a steep driveway, just about 2 cars wide, with brick walls either side, in front of a building with big glass entrance so if it does slide, it'll be turning into a brick wall anyway, scratching the car and then still potentially hitting the window. I don't think turning the wheels will stop damage if it does decide to slide down..... Not sure how a rear seatbelt gets a recall but not this handbrake issue. It seems more dangerous to me, or maybe just more costly if it goes wrong! Really hoping i'm all good on Thursday, i'll be testing the handbrake constantly now!
Kittycat
Getting There!
Drives: 2018 R Line

Post by Kittycat »

Funnily enough I read this post before picking up my car and have always been a bit paranoid 😳 so have always put my car into gear just incase
I was on a hill today and the handbrake wouldn’t hold 😳😳
Will be keeping an eye on it and booking it in if nessesary
Adam_013
Silver Member

Post by Adam_013 »

Definitely! Both of the new polos I've had have had 'iffy handbrake. After new cables being fitted it's perfect. Holds everywhere and even locks if your moving. Definitely worth querying the dealer - especially if it makes a strange noise when being applied (mine did).
Kittycat wrote:Funnily enough I read this post before picking up my car and have always been a bit paranoid [emoji15] so have always put my car into gear just incase
I was on a hill today and the handbrake wouldn’t hold [emoji15][emoji15]
Will be keeping an eye on it and booking it in if nessesary

andyxxx
New
Drives: 1l se

Post by andyxxx »

I have just collected a brand new manual 1.0 Polo 65hp.

It has a faulty handbrake.

We live in a hilly area and I can only just get it to hold on a hill by pulling it as high as possible but my 17 year old daughter who is learning can not possibly get it to hold and has just hated her initial drive in her first car.

I will contact the dealer tomorrow. If they do not sort it I will reject the car.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

andyxxx wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:19 pm I have just collected a brand new manual 1.0 Polo 65hp.

We live in a hilly area and I can only just get it to hold on a hill by pulling it as high as possible but my 17 year old daughter who is learning can not possibly get it to hold and has just hated her initial drive in her first car.

I will contact the dealer tomorrow. If they do not sort it I will reject the car.
I get the impression from everyone that posted on this forum with handbrake issues are all running drum rear brakes. Anyone here had issues on the 115ps 1.0TSI or the GTI, which have discs all round?
Adam_013
Silver Member

Post by Adam_013 »

andyxxx wrote:I have just collected a brand new manual 1.0 Polo 65hp.

They'll more than likely fit new cables, they did to mine. It removed the horrible sound mine made and also improved the handbrake significantly.

However 1.5 months later the horrible noise is back...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

I will just comment on the fact that my wife's August 2015 6C Polo with rear disc brakes, has a handbrake action/feel that is a lot rougher at 25K miles and 3.5 years, than her previous September 2002 9N Polo with rear disc brakes.

This "rot" has being going on for quite a few years now I'd reckon, maybe quality reduction/supplier/supplier manufacture region has moved away from proper Europe into new style almost good enough and so cheap Eastern Europe/India/Africa or so.

Now if some of the traditional Europe based aftermarket parts companies are still manufacturing locally, that might be the only way to get rid of yet another annoyance which turns an okay car into an annoying one?