roar

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
Rob119
New

roar

Post by Rob119 »

hey all i just got a universal air filter today n it is a little louder then
before but how do i make it really roar

i have had air filter off all together to see wot it sounded
like and it was just the same

can any1 help
madmatt

Post by madmatt »

DONT DO IT
these cone filters just give u noise and no perfomance they actully slow you down the only way u get perfomance if it was out the engine bay all together cold air faster you go and if you want a roar get some twin 40s these make nice loud roar and make your car loads faster
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

A cone filter will only degrade performance if it's drawing air from a hot part of the engine.. which it almost certainly will be (I'd guess you've got it pointing just above and behind the cylinder head, which is about as hot as you can get :? ) You'll want to get some ducting bringing cold air from behind the grille and point it at the cone filter, then you'll start seeing performance advantages.

Anyway, back on track, if you want it to really roar.. um.. get a new engine would be my advice :D You'll never get an early polo engine to sound properly sporty, they'll always howl like a vacuum cleaner (to quote tahrey :) ). All you can really do is get a new exhaust for it, but that'll really just make it louder rather than better sounding.
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

if you remove the entire of the forward ducting to the airbox, however, it does make a tremendous THRAAAP noise between about 2500 and 3500 revs on full throttle, which sounds fairly rorty.... :)

just the same as always but louder at any other speed though!

same advice as always - put a hole in the exhaust :D
it's the most barry way possible of acheiving it, but they all seem to have opted for tincan backpipes now instead, so it's more unique and retro :D :D
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Maybe I could design a cover for a hole in the exhaust that could be opened and closed with a lever within the car.. cover it up when the police are about, open it up when you want a bit of fun :D I'm sure it's achievable..
madmatt

Post by madmatt »

what bought the mot it would fail mate just get a exhaust on it and put a replacement box filter on trust me when u been up the motorway at full bore for a few hours u will get sick of it
D4V1D
Bronze Member

Post by D4V1D »

i never get sick of it
RARR!:D
optima21
Sponsor

Post by optima21 »

a mk2 goes better with warm air than cold air as its got a carburettor instead of fuel injection. This means thats the only way the fuel van vapourise is by absorbing the heat from the surrounding air. on my 1L mk2 I struggle to get a constant 70mph on the motorway in winter, yet in summer it will cruise at 90 on a nice warm day.

ohh yes and I'm using a k&n that fits in the original airbox. the only real seeling point of performance filters on carbed cars not using twin 40's are:-
1) dont need replacing (why I got mine)
2) sound louder
Rob119
New

Post by Rob119 »

3 questions

what are twin 40's

and can i make my 1300 any faster
without gettin a new engine

also the new filter does not sound any louder its just the same
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

twin weber carburettors (the 40 being something to do with the (wider) bore????), in place of your single nasty narrow-bore pierburg job or whatever else was the alternative that came as standard on some mk2s.

kind of like an oldskool variant of multipoint injection... allowing more air/fuel into the cylinder, better mixing and control, etc (2 cylinders per carb rather than 4... for ultimate hotrod bling, one carb per cylinder, each with it's own mini air filter snug around it!)

(how am i for accuracy on that, being an injector boy?)
Rob119
New

Post by Rob119 »

lol

how much are these roughly
how do they fit or is it technical

I took the air filter back n got my refund btw
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Carburettors are fairly easy to fit.. they bolt onto the inlet manifold with four nuts (damn fiddly to do unless you take the inlet manifold off first.. also very easy to do. You'll want to replace the gasket while you're at it though.). Thing is, you'd need to have the new carb rejetted for your car to get the best performance out of it, which gets a bit pricey.. probably best talk to someone who's actually done it about the technical bits of it. Personally I'm just planning to make do with the piece of scrap that is the standard pierburg carb..
0ddball
New

Post by 0ddball »

twin carbs are basically 1 throttle buttefly per inlet port/cylinder. as opposed to the standard single carb which serves all 4.

what you get is hugely de-restricted path for fuel and air to enter the engine.

inlet manifold to suit your engine will be about 150 quid new. carbs are just over 200 quid each new.

having said that, second hand kits go for peanuts.
k4lps
Bronze Member

Post by k4lps »

Rob119 wrote:lol

how much are these roughly
how do they fit or is it technical

I took the air filter back n got my refund btw
700squid with manifold and fitting kit saw an advert in a vdub mag cant remember witch one
mk2keel
Bronze Member

Post by mk2keel »

i have got a bolt on K&N, problem is it is getting warm air from the engine bay, i could fit some home made cold air feeds (i will do sooner or later) but i found the best way of getting cold air straight to it, no messing was just to take the bonnet off... problem solved