random cutting out

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
Dulcie
New

random cutting out

Post by Dulcie »

my dear 1987 1043cc mk2 polo cut out a couple of times but just started again and kept going ok for a good while and didn't seem too bad. idle is okay in the main, but now it won't run for very long at all. It seemed to be a fuel restriction so I replaced filter and pump, but no change. After reading some of the forum, the carburettor seems to be a possible candidate. :?: is my particular fault a known problem, and is there a quick, easy and cheap way to fix it ?
Rob119
New

Post by Rob119 »

my 1300 mk2 is doin this
do u need to rev it a bit to set off otherwise it cuts out?

mine does i got told my carb needs strippin n cleanin
because they is a blockage i hav tried redex in it but
still the same

i thnik sum1 my dad knows is gonna take a look at it
optima21
Sponsor

Post by optima21 »

if it just cuts out as soon as it should idle it might be the anti run-on valve thats not working. if its working you should hear a click from the carb when the ignition is turned on.

if it idles badly and then cuts out, it could be the rubber baseplate that split and allowing air in, mine had this problem and I ended up driling the top part of the plate and tapping the manifold so the screws compressed the rubber. It seems to be ok now and didnt cost anything to fix.
Dulcie
New

Random cutting out

Post by Dulcie »

Rob119 wrote:my 1300 mk2 is doin this
do u need to rev it a bit to set off otherwise it cuts out?

mine does i got told my carb needs strippin n cleanin
because they is a blockage i hav tried redex in it but
still the same

i thnik sum1 my dad knows is gonna take a look at it
Thanks for getting back.
It seems to be an erratic ignition now and it maybe the coil which I'm gonna change soon
Dulcie
New

Random cutting out

Post by Dulcie »

optima21 wrote:if it just cuts out as soon as it should idle it might be the anti run-on valve thats not working. if its working you should hear a click from the carb when the ignition is turned on.

if it idles badly and then cuts out, it could be the rubber baseplate that split and allowing air in, mine had this problem and I ended up driling the top part of the plate and tapping the manifold so the screws compressed the rubber. It seems to be ok now and didnt cost anything to fix.
Thanks for replying--yes I get the click, no misfiring at any revs, it just cuts out instantly with no warning whenever it wants to, and so
I'm now following the faulty ignition trail, -after finding no spark one time- starting with coil replacment...£18.00
Rob119
New

Post by Rob119 »

ok i sorted my jerky problem as fuel gauge sed i had quarter of a tank then boom it ran out of petrol needle had got stuck but as i ran out
loads of s**t spat out the back and it runs like a dream again now