VW POLO 1.2 TSI90 wheels upgrade to 17inch

Discuss Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres
rico
New
Drives: vw polo 1.2 tsi 90 6r

VW POLO 1.2 TSI90 wheels upgrade to 17inch

Post by rico »

Dear All,

I am going to upgrade my current vw polo model 2016 6R alloy to 17inch tyres 215/40 as according the manufacture this model is ready for these tyres .

I would like to know if it is worthy to do this upgrade as my current tyres and alloy are :15 185/65 and are not good in terms of safety. I am only upgrading because in highways the stability is not good and i am upgrading only for safety reason and also because i got nice deal .

The alloy which i am buying are coming from vw golf Rline and are the same that fit vw polo 1.2 tsi 6rline.

So i would like to have feedback from those who already have the polo with 6r tsi 1.2 90bhp with 17 inch alloy wheels.

It terms of petrol consumption i know that there will be change because 17inch tryres are heavy so also i would like to know how this will affect the average and millage.

Thank you all
Vinay
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: VW POLO 1.2 TSI90 wheels upgrade to 17inch

Post by iichel »

I think the most contributing factor to safety is not rim size, but the type of tire (brand, type, age, tread depth).
Perhaps it would be worthwhile to invest in a good pair of tires, rather than buying a complete set of wheels.
rico
New
Drives: vw polo 1.2 tsi 90 6r

Post by rico »

Thank you for the feedback.

But if i want to go with 17inch rims will be any issue ?

Regards
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

No, certainly not, but I'd say it's not per se the best (or cheapest) solution. If you go for a good pair of 17 inch rims with proper tires, I'm sure it will add to your (sense of) safety.
But I think you could reach the same level of (perceived) safety with a pair of good tires on your current rims ;)
MarkTS74
New
Drives: BlueGT (6c October 2014 build) 150ps

Post by MarkTS74 »

I have a BlueGT - love my 17" alloys (215/40 tyres).
I would do 17" straight bolt on fitment to any 6r/6C arross the range particularly if you can your hands on some second-hand genuine VW alloys (5x100 bolt pattern, forget what the centre bore is but would be identical to your current wheels if you can measure that).
Run Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres.
Think other have a point - good set of tyres like above in your size wheel biggest difference than rim size.