Anyone got twin webers?

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)

Webers, worth it or not?

yes
67%
no
17%
spose
17%

Total votes: 6

mk2keel
Bronze Member

Anyone got twin webers?

Post by mk2keel »

Im just wondering what sort of power gains you get from installing twin webbers on the 1300cc Mk2's?
If i did i would probably have a new inlet manifold, G40 exhaust manifold and downpipe Jetex or powerflow straight back zorst system and of course twin 40's.
What sort of power could i expect to get from this?

thanks
Krupa
Gold Member

Post by Krupa »

Mk2Matt has them on his - he's got 100bhp with more to come.
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Bloody hell.. that's pretty much double the standard power :shock: I assume he's done other things to it besides the twin webers?

If not, I want some!
dubs
New

Post by dubs »

would love webbers, but i have a phobia (sp) of all things carb like!! :cry:
0ddball
New

Post by 0ddball »

theres no "probably" about getting a new inlet manifold. the carbs dont fit the standard one.

would stick 20-25bhp ontop of standard, handful of torque.

a good guide is the 1.3 nova sport that came with twin 40 DCOE weber carbs from the factory. the normal 1300 carbed SR made in teh region of 74bhp. with the twin 40's it made 89bhp. with the optional irmscher cam it made 95 ish bhp. better head design than the HK/MH though.

if you find somewhere that makes a DCOE inlet manifold for the mk2 give us a shout :wink:
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Anyone know how much they cost new, or alternatively cars are likely to have them at the scrappy? :)
0ddball
New

Post by 0ddball »

0ddball wrote:twin carbs are basically 1 throttle buttefly per inlet port/cylinder. as opposed to the standard single carb which serves all 4.

what you get is hugely de-restricted path for fuel and air to enter the engine.

inlet manifold to suit your engine will be about 150 quid new. carbs are just over 200 quid each new.

having said that, second hand kits go for peanuts.
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Hrm. I'll be on the lookout for second hand kits for peanuts then :)

Would having twin webers have a huge impact on economy? Obviously it would if I was taking advantage of the extra power, but driving the same as I drive with a standard carb ('blue rinse' springs to mind :roll: )?
dubs
New

Post by dubs »

ive always thought that no matter how you drive with twins they drink more fuel anyway!! might be wrong but its what ive always believed
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Logically they shouldn't.. although I guess it's possible.. surely though, the engine will use exactly the same amount of fuel and air to cruise at a given speed whatever's getting the fuel and air into the cylinders.. more fuel and the engine will begin to run faster and you'll accellerate, which doesn't happen because you're cruising.. ditto for accelleration at any given rate.. Someone tell me why I'm wrong, please :)
D4V1D
Bronze Member

Post by D4V1D »

im spendin quite abit on fuel but its worth it for those carb smiles. mines currently putting out 108bhp but thats with a stage 3 ported and polished head and de-cat. http://www.advancedautosport.com these people sell carb kits but ud need to take some time on the rollers to have em set up. id save up and get some other mods done with the carbs to make the most of em.
dont forget to upgrade your brakes :D
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Ah yes. Brakes really ought to be my next major mod.. standard mk2 brakes with 5 people in the car after a bit of useage are really, really scary. Especially considering I've spent the last month driving cars with servo's... I'm easing myself back into the world of scary brakes by driving my mum's mk1 shogun for a while, but even that's got a load more stopping power than the polo :?

I think twin webers would be a great mod.. but realistically I doubt I'll ever do it. I'm only going to have the car until I go to uni next september, and I'll spend most of the time between now and then worrying about how to insure it as it is, last thing I need is expensive mods more premium to pay :(
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

*thinks of getting a 1300 twin carbed mk2 as a playaround machine, and keeping the mk3 as an economy slogger*

:lol: 100+hp from an NA 1300? schweet.
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

After uni, I think I may just be forced to do that.. :) Until then though, insurance and income dictate that it'd be a ludicrous idea :(
mk2keel
Bronze Member

Post by mk2keel »

What sort of power could i expect to gain from webers with a new inlet manifold, G40 zorst manifold and downpipe and a full straight back zorst system?
(might tune her a bit aswell.)