Fuel consumption

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Aidey
New
Drives: 2022 Polo Gti

Re: Fuel consumption

Post by Aidey »

managed 46.3 on the way home from football yesterday, 46.1 by the time i had arrived at home... the best i have seen so far...
Attachments
IMG_8320.jpeg
IMG_8320.jpeg (2.38 MiB) Viewed 1815 times
Aidey
New

Post by Aidey »

Xmas drive today and smashed my best Mpg, shocked with it :D
Attachments
IMG_8430.jpeg
IMG_8430.jpeg (1.24 MiB) Viewed 1674 times
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Aidey wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 9:05 pm Xmas drive today and smashed my best Mpg, shocked with it :D
For a 2.0 litre performance hatch, the Polo GTI can be very economical………….depending on how it’s driven of course 🤣.

I think the best I’ve seen from my pre-facelift GTI+ was between 54-55 mpg on a journey of around 30 miles on ‘A’ roads. I’m regularly getting mid 40’s mpg and my long term average fuel consumption is currently around 43 mpg.
Aidey
New

Post by Aidey »

Yes i don't get that if i drive it hard like it can be done sometimes, the 20 mph zones here don't help, But this new Mpg gains was achieved with filling up at a new petrol station, ive only used tesco fuel normally but have decided to use a new station from now on and i am getting better MPG
Harrihealey02
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 SEL

Post by Harrihealey02 »

The best I achieved is 67.1mpg today with my 1.0 TSI 110hp polo and that was mostly 55mph motorway from Cheltenham to London! Very good economical engine when it’s not driven hard.
Attachments
IMG_1538.jpeg
IMG_1538.jpeg (1.67 MiB) Viewed 1467 times
grazuncle2
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 1.0 TSI SE 2019

Post by grazuncle2 »

This seems a common thread...

I had what i considered a very economical Polo 1.4 TDi (9N3) for 15 years and when it came to changing it I didn't want another diesel and expected lower mpg with this 95 Polo 2019 1.0 TSi.... it was not lower mpg even initially after buying it. I'll clarify that statement... i got around 40-45 with local urban driving with the TDi and a lot more on motorway. but got more with this petrol Polo. Then, flicking through the manual for this petrol version i noticed my driving was not economic at all

The manual says you should shift up before reaching 2000 rpm.. I had never done that with a petrol vehicle! I tried it and the mpg improved significantly. obviously I rarely floor it and anticipate what is going on upfront. I just did a local supermarket run.. 8 miles urban round trip and only 1 degree C temp outside and on getting back the computer said 54 mpg average. I can get 65mpg easily on a motorway run. If this driving style is boring .. fair enough... but it showed me what is possible from this model.

I can't complain and it suits me fine.
Johntheo1
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 MK10 AW1

Post by Johntheo1 »

The driving style definitely has a huge bearing on fuel consumption.
I have a 2019 65BHP Polo and regularly get 63 to 67 MPG on a 60 mile round trip.
This car very recently did two round trips of 350 miles (each) of mostly motorway driving within days of each other but only averaged 53.8 MPG (not driven by me) and would have been driven hard in comparison to my driving which I would describe as brisk. I wonder would a 1.0TSI have returned better MPG under those two round trip conditions.

I allways shift up before 2000 RPM but never let the revs fall below 1600 RPM in any gear.
PoloGTInoob
New
Drives: 2020 Polo GTI+

Post by PoloGTInoob »

I use ECO mode on and off. It might not be ideal for town driving when you want to accelerate swiftly and safely and use engine braking to slow, but on longer drives its handy allowing the car to coast for long distances, especially on a decline.
grazuncle2
Silver Member

Post by grazuncle2 »

I'm not denying anything that's said about ECO mode... I understand the slower foot pedal response ok..

but don't understand the coasting bit.. could you elaborate on that please? ECO mode does something I'm not aware of obviously :)

Anyone?
Maarten
Silver Member
Drives: AW R-line Facelift MY2022 Vibrant Violet

Post by Maarten »

I think he means that the car goes (i.e.) from D6 -> D, disconnecting the gear, so the car floats without restraint (or something) :lol:

Or with the 4 cilinder it could also mean ECO when using only 2 cilinders (ACT)
PoloGTInoob
New
Drives: 2020 Polo GTI+

Post by PoloGTInoob »

grazuncle2 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:08 am don't understand the coasting bit.. could you elaborate on that please? ECO mode does something I'm not aware of obviously :)

Anyone?
When you're in ECO mode and you come off the throttle, the car disengages the engine from the wheels and allows the car to coast freely without engine braking* slowing you down. On my GTI it will show up on the screen with a message saying "Coasting" and you can feel the lack of engine braking. Not sure if all models with eco mode include coasting.

*when the engine is connected and youre off the throttle, the car turns over the engine and this slows the car significantly.
Polo 26
New
Drives: Polo gti

Post by Polo 26 »

Why does the GTI still have engine braking? I knew that on turbo cars the engine braking was less noticeable. On the cars of the past you could hear it a lot.
RinDman
New
Drives: Polo AW GTI DSG6

Post by RinDman »

DSG in non eco mode will have braking engine, but they have less compared to manual gearbox

If you put the DSG in Drive + Eco , your wheels won't have any
grazuncle2
Silver Member

Post by grazuncle2 »

PoloGTInoob wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:28 pm
grazuncle2 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:08 am don't understand the coasting bit.. could you elaborate on that please? ECO mode does something I'm not aware of obviously :)

Anyone?
When you're in ECO mode and you come off the throttle, the car disengages the engine from the wheels and allows the car to coast freely without engine braking* slowing you down. On my GTI it will show up on the screen with a message saying "Coasting" and you can feel the lack of engine braking. Not sure if all models with eco mode include coasting.

*when the engine is connected and youre off the throttle, the car turns over the engine and this slows the car significantly.
Wow.. Proper coasting.. Never knew it existed!
Thanks for that
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

In the 40 months I’ve owned my GTI+, I’ve never used Eco mode so haven’t experienced the coasting function.

From what I’ve read on other forums, Eco mode also;
  • dulls the throttle response, requiring the accelerator pedal to be pressed harder to get up to cruising speed and for manoeuvres such as overtaking. So IMHO, any potential mpg gains to be had from the coasting function could possibly be negated by heavier use of the throttle…………….🤔
  • either reduces the air con’s output (or possibly stops it being used completely?). I run the air con in my car 24/7, so Eco mode isn’t for me.
I’m quite happy with my car’s fuel consumption without using Eco - the long term average before my car’s computer recently re-set itself (as it does after 100 hours driving time) was 43-44 mpg, and I can get over 50mpg on a decent long-ish journey without trying too hard. Not bad IMHO for a 2.0 litre 197bhp / 200ps performance Polo.