Patil's little Polo 6R 1.2 Tsi Dsg7 RHD

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
ciclo
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Re: Patil's little Polo 6R 1.2 Tsi Dsg7 RHD

Post by ciclo »

According to Patil's schematics it depends on whether the structure has the panel that shows the position of the lever.
- with = 4 diodes.
- without = 2 diodes.
Obviously he uses all four.

I like how he has drawn the input and output on the diode 👌, and the wire splices in making the harness (at the level of the Olympus of the gods 😁).

This rectifier diode is very useful and good for some low voltage inventions... 🤭

🙏
patil
Silver Member
Drives: Polo6r/1.2TSI/DSG7, T-roc'20 1.5TSI/DSG7

Post by patil »

New Mod( Upgrade): OEM VW logo flip rear view camera.🤗

Background:

I had previously installed aftermarket rear view camera with dynamic trajectory lines. The dynamic lines worked on the principle of taking input from the canbus subsystem via steering angle sensor. The camera was specifically designed with its own quadlock connector to work only on many VW cars MIB2 radio's. It is a brilliant invention I would say as the camera has its power supply(with inline fuse), ground, reverse signal + dynamic lines( from canbus) all being tapped from conversion quadlock adapter itself!!

This is the package:

And this is the image quality with inbuilt Sony CMOS image sensor. The viewing angles and image quality was excellent!! and damn the lines were all copied and looked like OEM!🤭

link to camera if anyone is interested: 😁
https://a.aliexpress.com/_ms3GGqG

This camera worked well for almost 2 years before it started malfunctioning. There were sporadic blackscreens on radio when engaging reverse initially, but then one fine day it said I quit.😔 I started trouble shooting with inspecting wiring harness, wire continuity tests and then the autoscan revealed something I wasn't expecting. :shock:

Such an error was hanging in address 19:

After studying this error on Rosstech website and many VW forums, I clearly understood what was actually happening. Something new I learnt during my research, which I would like share here. ☺️

Turns out that narrowing down these faults is relatively easy. 8)

First, you've to inspect MVBs 125-143 in the CAN Gateway module (19), which will show the CAN status for all control modules configured in the car separately. Each CAN status can have 3 values:

1-- Communication is perfect (both hi and lo wires both working perfectly)

1W-- Communication in single wire mode only (other wire is probably broken or shorted, a pin is bent in the connector, or there's some electrical fault with the control module)

0-- No communication (either both wires are severed or shorted to ground or voltage - but not to each other -, or the control module itself is pretty much dead)

As the fault itself was self explanatory, I checked measuring blocks concerned with modules connected to CAN Comfort. All the modules connected to Can comfort were on 1W status! See below

This can't be true I said, as 5F, HVAC, Navigation etc were all working perfectly inspite of 1W status in all. I knew something was a miss.🧐 After some break and peaceful thinking I realised that, even if one CAN wire of a particular module is faulty, it will be reflected in all the modules connected to that particular CAN subsystem. That's what was happening with my case. Obviously it became clear to me that the faulty rear camera which is connected to CAN Comfort line is the culprit and cause for the DTC.
I disconnected the camera wiring from the radio and as expected the dtc disappeared and all modules were back to 1 from 1W.

The eg; address 5F MVB went from 1W to 1 after camera was disconnected:

Finally after all the circus I decided to go ahead and install OEM logo flip camera.😎

I purchased the flip camera along with wiring kit from a reliable OE parts dealer from AliExpress.
Camera part number: 2GD 827 469A

The metal adapter provided along with camera was of poor design and wouldn't hold the camera perfectly safe. I am very thankful to a good friend, Sujoy a compatriot, who had already installed this flip camera, was kind enough to share the computer file to make the proper metal adapter. And my dear friend Shakti got the metal adapter manufactured for me and one for himself for his new Polo... :mrgreen: heartfelt thanks to him too.🤝✌️

Metal adapter, freshly baked😁

This retrofit has been very commonly done since the birth of the Polo6R itself 😂 so will only add additional information to relevant pictures.☺️

Wiring scheme:
1) Power-- +30, 5A fuse.
2) Ground: Any near by ground point.
3) Reverse signal: Tail light reverse signal wire.
4) Video input: blue 12 pin connector of MIB2 ( t12/6 white, t12/12 black)

Many pictures of installation:

The housing for drain pipe connector should be sealed with some kind of glue to prevent leakage!! without glueing it was leaking during testing. 😱

Installation of drain tube is the most important part of flip camera installation. Drain tube must be fixed under perfect waterproof conditions. Many wiring harness ( rear wiper motor, boot lock) right under the drain location. Any leakage will be disastrous.

I was reluctant to drill a hole in the tail to bring out the drain pipe. So I used an alternative way to route the drain pipe to the outside avoiding any drilling🤓. There are 2 factory holes in the boot lip coverd with plastic cap, I used one of them. I filed the hole to make it bigger to accomodate the drain pipe I used. OE drain pipe cannot be used as it will be of insufficient length for alternative routing. So I used generic transparant wide bore plastic flexible tube. Care must be exercised not to kink the drain tube along its entirety for smooth outflow.

The connections at camera side is pretty straight forward. There was a 2 pin OE coupling connector provided along with the wiring harness for ground connection to be tapped from logo flip unlock switch.

As ground connection is already acquired at camera site, only 3 signal wires viz power, video signal and reverse signal need to routed into the cabin. For reverse signal, I used a previously isolated wire during 8k OPS module upgradation.

The camera needs some fine adjustment for perfect centralised image display. 😇

Image quality: Strictly average I would say. The previous aftermarket camera had superior image quality. The vertical viewing angle of OE camera is fantastic due to its location with average horizontal view. The camera being cocooned inside a safe housing, its immune to dust, dirt and water. Only flip side of OE flip camera is that its noisy 😁

Satisfied with this upgarde 😎🤗 Few more updates coming soon....😅

Even though it eludes, I wish peace to Humanity.☮️

Will end with a quote from Siddhartha Gouthama Buddha.

Namaste🙏
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

patil
Silver Member

Post by patil »

Sad news: 😓
VW Polo signs off from India with an emotional, heartwarming, goodbye letter:

End of an era! The timeless beauty, the legend finally retired from Indian market. Thank you Polo for being a part of my family, for bringing smile on my face everytime I took you out for a drive, you live forever in hearts of people who loved and cherished you. 🚙❤️

Mad respect: 😇🥰🙏
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

I definitely have to learn how to make goodbye letters like these so as not to seem like the nazi person in me.

---
🤣
iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

ciclo wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:16 am I definitely have to learn how to make goodbye letters like these so as not to seem like the nazi person in me.

---
🤣
I strictly forbid you to leave the Polo community :wink:

---

That's a very nice installation patil, congratulations. I find the same, regarding image quality of the OEM camera. It's not perfect. Aftermarket sets often do way better.
patil
Silver Member

Post by patil »

iichel wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:18 am
I strictly forbid you to leave the Polo community :wink:
Doctor also advices the same :mrgreen:
iichel wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:18 am
That's a very nice installation patil, congratulations. I find the same, regarding image quality of the OEM camera. It's not perfect. Aftermarket sets often do way better.
Thank you iichel. 8)
patil
Silver Member

Post by patil »

Update on 5Q0 BSD Radars on Polo 6R(PQ25):

Due to the fact that 5Q0 BSD radars (side assist) is offered for MQB platform, even though works perfectly on PQ25 too, the VCDS autoscan showed missing ASAM data/Rod file for PQ25 for obvious reasons. With latest update, Ross-tech has finally addressed this issue.👌

With VCDS versions upto 22.3.0.1

With latest version 22.3.1.1
Now slave radar is also recognised independently like on MQB cars with 5Q0 BSD from factory.

Side note:
Following Parameters works best on Polo 6R with 5Q0 radars:
1. Polo GTI ( >99% accuracy, available only for ODIS)
2. Skoda Octavia Scout ( >95% accuracy, available for both ODIS/VCP)
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

patil wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:49 pm
Doctor also advices the same :mrgreen:
Thanks for your advice.🙏

---
I have visions 😂 and unfortunately the result is always the same.
patil
Silver Member

Post by patil »

New Mod: How to brick your Cluster or rather how not to. 🙆

If we observe the maxidot gti cluster dial rings carefully, its chrome finished( 6RD 920 870A, for chinese market) and not brushed aluminium (like silver shine) for European market. This intigued me a bit, as all dash inserts in my car are brushed aluminium finish and only maxidot had chrome finish, though subtle yet bothered me. I decided to change the dial rings to brushed aluminium type.
After doing some research and discussing with good friend Sheetal, it was confirmed that the dial rings can be swapped clean without any modifications required. I went ahead and bought a used Polo 6R cluster with brushed aluminium rings (6R0 920961F) for a cheap price from eBay.

I carefully dismantled the rings from my maxidot cluster and from the cluster I bought. The rings are exactly same except for the finish. Comparison photo:

I carefully fixed the new brushed aluminium rings into my maxidot cluster without scratching or damaging the housing:

I achieved successfully what I had initially intended. But the fate had other plans for this story. :|

As I had already opened the cluster, I got an idea to enable the necessary byte/bit for enabling needle illumination when igniton off by editing the eeprom dump of my cluster using CH341A programming tool which I had bought previously. I was charting into an unknown territory, little did I knew that disaster is waiting to happen. :oops:

I took a picture of stock needle position for reference to fix them later for calibration once everything was done.

I hooked up the pins of CH341A to eeprom and started reading the dump. I saved the original dump safely in case required if anything goes wrong, so that I can flash it back.

I went ahead and edited the byte 02F2 from 0E to 4E to enable needle illumination when ignition is off. I saved the changes and flashed back the edited dump to eeprom.

Assembled everything back, went to car and connected the cluster. I was shocked, it was not I was expecting. :shock: :shock:

I knew that something went wrong, immediately went back and flashed the original eeprom dump which I had saved. The result was the same again!! by now I realised that something terribIy went wrong and bricked my cluster.... sigh 😓

It was quiet obvious to me by now that, the eeprom backup which I took was messed up. The resuscitation of dead cluster began. Thanks to dear friend Nikhil for providing the virgin eeprom and immo data files. I also thank friend Shardul for his valuable help. I flashed the virgin eeprom with same CH341A tool and cluster started coming back to life.☺️

I needed VVDI tool to flash immo data to eeprom and also for programming the cluster back to my car. Luckily for me there was an expert near me who agreed to help me. I took my cluster, ECU and keys next day for programming.🧑‍💻

We first flashed the virgin immo file using VVDI tool.

Then we started to programming, initially we tried to extract immo data from ECU and program offline but couldn't succeed. Then using ODIS-S online we tried to program, but due to new policy by VW, the used cluster reprogramming online was blocked. Then we had to use a trick, we first reprogrammed the old VW cluster online by ODIS-S and then transferred the immo data to my maxidot cluster. Subsequently we programmed the keys to cluster. After 2 hours of intense fighting, we could finally able to reprogram the cluster on bench. Made a back up copy of eeprom properly this time. :mrgreen:

Few pictures of the process:

Finally back to its original glory.🔥👏

I fixed the cluster back to car, reentered the ABS coding and did the basic settings. Everything was working perfect except for an error hanging in address 17, such an error, which refused to die. :x

I was suggested to reflash the eeprom using VVDI after driving few km, and also change the odo reading and then reflash again to resolve the DTC . I did all this, but still the error hanged.
Finally I contacted our forum member Bonny( H2deetoo) to help me out with this error. He promptly replied and asked me to send the eeprom dump, I sent the dump, he fixed it and sent me back. I flashed the edited eeprom dump using VVDI tool and viola.. error disappeared!!😅
My hearfelt thanks to him. 🙏

Finally I achieved what I wanted to.. needle illumination with ignition off.. it was a roller coaster ride, what would have been a 5 min simple job with proper tools.🤭

To conclude, Its wise to use proper tools to play around with cluster eeprom. Even though CH341A is a cheap and handy tool, but its a risky tool if we don't know how to use it properly. I saw a post by Master Ciclo about xhorse tool to read and write eeprom dump safely without requiring to dismantle the cluster.
viewtopic.php?p=589480#p589480

Here we go a lesson learnt hard way.. but knowledge gained was invaluable during the entire ordeal was priceless.😇

🙏
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

.. if I remember correctly I did the EEPROM dumps with the FVDI programs with the IMMO data previously read. The CH341A only for reading.

Yes, with the Iscancar MM-007 it would have been a 0.1 second job. :)

My dear Doctor, I recommend that you enter the ODIS world without fear, it will open many beautiful doors for you...
VCDS and VCP will remain essential anyway.
ag69
Silver Member
Drives: 1.2TSi 77Kw 7DSG

Post by ag69 »

thanks for sharing patil
you are really a fighter :)
iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

Nice save
giannis20vt
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 6c MY2016 1.0 75Hp

Post by giannis20vt »

Wow, amazing job. Thanks for sharing.

I read on your last post "Then using ODIS-S online we tried to program, but due to new policy by VW, the used cluster reprogramming online was blocked."

I need a piece of information about that. Three or four months ago, i have tried to swap my Cluster on my 6C Polo. It wasn't a succefully procedure, we managed to remove the Component Protection, but we did couldn't manage to programm the remote keys. So we putted back my original Cluster. Nowdays i am planning to swap the BCM with a new one and after that i will try again to swap the Cluster. Will I have a problem trying to change the Cluster?
patil
Silver Member

Post by patil »

ciclo wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:18 am
My dear Doctor, I recommend that you enter the ODIS world without fear, it will open many beautiful doors for you...
VCDS and VCP will remain essential anyway.
Thank you Master for your advice, surely I will enter the ODIS world more often)))
ag69 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:21 am
you are really a fighter :)
Not in front of my wife :mrgreen:
iichel wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:13 amNice save
Thank you iichel🙏