Tyres for 16" wheels on a 6n2 GTI

Discuss Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres
MarkTS74
New
Drives: BlueGT (6c October 2014 build) 150ps

Tyres for 16" wheels on a 6n2 GTI

Post by MarkTS74 »

Hello all
After Many years of other VW's and family commitments and needing a car (MK5 Jetta Sport 140ps/Jetta MK6 GT 150ps) for towing a trailer full of kart/kart racing gear & then/currently a 6c BlueGT 1.4TSI 150ps (all Lease/PCP cars - but still tracked them once year as I have always done since VW ownership in 2005) have returned (or least hopefully by Saturday depending on viewing) to a 6n2 GTI 2001 for very little money and "owned" car ownership again.
I had a 6n2 GTI back in 2007/8 before my services of PCP cars and badly badly missed after selling for different reasons have to give the PCP car back (affordability reasons).

OK sorry for the long winded introduction!!
The question tyres - the current owner has not got the original wheels but running some nice 16" wheel on it and car at I believe standard ride height.
Of course can't see the car till Saturday so have no idea of tyre till viewing and as far as I know tyres all OK.
Just been researching and now confused on what it should be.
I believe as follows -
6j × 15" (standard alloys) 195/45 R15
??j × 16" (not standard) 195/40 R16

Looking around the 15" 195/45 not vast options but the 16" 195/40 size I believe it would need to stop rubbing or Speedo calibration being wrong it seems now very limited.
However 205/40 tyres for a 16" alloy reasonable options - would that work or foul badly on hard cornering (namely plan to track one or two times a year as normal) or not?????
I don't know the rim widths yet till looking - look poky (by just right amount to look nice and not silly) so my quess is they are 7j.