Boot lock mechanism

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Bongo
New
Drives: polo 2015

Boot lock mechanism

Post by Bongo »

Hi VW experts

I am trying to problem solve a broken boot lock on our 2015 VW polo. At first I thought it was simply the mechanism as it was only half opening for a while intermittently before completely dying. I have replaced the locking mechanism but it remains completely dead. In the course of looking into it, I cannot find a fuse anywhere listed, even on the one pinned at the beginning of the forum.

Any help greatly appreciated.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Boot lock mechanism

Post by RUM4MO »

Maybe use "search" on this forum and on seatcupra.net as this is a common issue on this and all previous VAG cars in this class.

Moisture getting into plugs/sockets behind the hatch trim is a favorite.

Which part did you replace, the hatch handle switch, or the electrical parts on the locking mechanism or the physical latch?

I'd be using search first on both these forums, or let Google do the work for you, it should capture any/all useful forum postings.

Edit:- even check all the wiring from the body<>hatch.
Bongo
New
Drives: polo 2015

Post by Bongo »

Hi - I have replaced the actuator lock mechanism and have just checked the handle. I believe the switch on the handle is actually working. When I try to open it with the button on the keyfob, nothing happens except for the hazards to blink. As I said I can only think it is a fuse or a relay somewhere, but have searched the net (and on the seat sites) and cannot find it or another solution...
JC2015
New
Drives: 2015

Post by JC2015 »

Bongo wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:39 pm Hi - I have replaced the actuator lock mechanism and have just checked the handle. I believe the switch on the handle is actually working. When I try to open it with the button on the keyfob, nothing happens except for the hazards to blink. As I said I can only think it is a fuse or a relay somewhere, but have searched the net (and on the seat sites) and cannot find it or another solution...
Having similar issues with my boot. Replaced the lock mechanism with a second hand part and it initially worked but stopped opening later that evening. Can open from inside but not with boot handle/key fob(hazards just blinking). Brought to garage and they suggested fitting a new lock.
Just wondering did you sort your problem? Thanks!
dave49
New
Drives: 2014 match edition

Post by dave49 »

if you have fitted a new boot lock mechanism (the part with the badge on ) it might need programming to work with your key fob.ive no idea if this is needed but i cant open my boot either.cheers
Emperor888
New
Drives: Polo Match 1.2 TDI R6

Post by Emperor888 »

After replacing both the locking mechanism and the handle the issue was still there. After scratching my head for a while I happened to squeeze the loom rubber boot that comes up from the pillar to the boot lid and heard it intermittently operate the locking mechanism. After peeling back the rubber boot I found three wires had parted (after cutting away the fabric loom tape). The wires are quite thin and the plastic on the outside was brittle and had cracked. With continued opening and closing of the boot the exposed copper core had just parted. I crimped some M/F terminal connectors on and heat shrink to hold them together and the boot light came on and the boot lock worked! I subsequently went through all of the wires and taped up the cracked ones. I suspect others will part eventually but this was the quickest and easiest way to solve the problem. I expect that in time a new loom will have to be installed I just don’t know where it starts and ends and if there are terminal blocks at either end. If you’ve replaced your mechanism and handle and solved the issue you’re lucky, if you haven’t this is the place to start looking. In my opinion this is down to poor quality wiring and/or a bad design. Hope this is of some help to someone…
Last edited by Emperor888 on Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
2fast4ya
Getting There!
Drives: polo 1.8 tsi gti bluetec

Post by 2fast4ya »

Glad you sorted it , i think ill check the wiring on my boot